Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:23 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 AR Build 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Alright, I decided to finally build my own in 5.56, something that has always intrigued me, so I want my first time to be special. I actually don't own an AR, all my rifles are either lever or bolt action, so this a new end of the pond to swim in. However, I've been reading a lot, watching a lot of videos, and learning a lot. Which I think is going to help my working gun knowledge. With that said I know I could pop over to AR15.com and get a whole host of info. However, it would be my first post, something that can always draw some sideways glances this day and age. Plus I don't feel like trying to bro-down with a new group of guys, and you all seem like a smart lot. So before purchasing parts I wanted to know the best dos and don'ts, companies to avoid, parts that should be upgraded, and others that generic works best. Looking around things can get pricy...quick.

I'll start at the front and work back:

Barrel: What material should I be looking for, and which should I avoid? Twist rate, I'm thinking 1:7. Thoughts? Length, I'm thinking 16-18 inches.

Gas Block: Is there a preferred route, and what should I avoid, or does it matter?

Key Mod: Prices are all over the pace, do you get what you pay for, or are you buying a name?

Upper receiver: I'm thinking I might just buy one that is already complete, which would solve my previous question, but doesn't answer them. With that said, any brand suggestions that would give me a solid option?

Buffer tube: Seem to pretty much be the same, but aside from springs, not something worth dropping huge coin on, run of the mill works fine?

Lower Parts: I'm leaning adjustable trigger, but the rest of the hardware is fairly standard correct?

Tools: Is there a good kit I can pick up that will give all the specialty tools I need?

Those seem to be my questions for the moment, I'm sure I'll think of others, and if you have other pro-tips or suggestions you think I should know, or routes I should take, such as ambidextrous options good or personal preference.

Thanks.

Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

haven't had any luck with tacfire.

Aero is good Anderson is ok, Daniel Defense, Seekins, are great

you want to be top tier or wannabe operator?

I prefer 1in7 twist. 556 rated

------------------

Geiselle is going to have sales

low profile gas blocks are good with free float rails

Yaki's - last journey

Promote a Growth Mindset. Don't let a fixed mindset not allow change for the better.

pow·er trip - noun - a self-aggrandizing quest for ever-increasing control over others.

Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Barrel: What kind of ammo will you be shooting? Work backwards from there. If you're not the type of guy to shoot match grade ammo, do not buy shit for that.

Gas block: What kind of ammo and what barrel length? Suppressed or nah? You want to go piston or d.i.? no need for fancy if you ain't doing fancy shit.

Upper: Your choice/cosmetics. BCG weight can mean sometime.

Buffer tube (eh)/specifically buffer weight: What kind of ammo/BCG/Gas block/Barrel? Some fine tuning involved. Go standard first. Heavier buffer if needed.

Lower parts: Your choice. Some things are useful like ambi safety.

keymod: There is a military test (if it makes you feel better) out there on keymod vs mlok. read the report. But I will say mlok seems to have more support because of the name behind it.

Tools: AR wrench, needlenose pliers and brass punch set/hammer, upper and lower vise. Masking tape to prevent scuffs.

Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

quad rails are making a comeback, bcm has their qrf series

H buffer should be the standard. fullauto bcg,

Yaki's - last journey

Promote a Growth Mindset. Don't let a fixed mindset not allow change for the better.

pow·er trip - noun - a self-aggrandizing quest for ever-increasing control over others.

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:04 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

So much to tackle at once. What purpose do you want this build to fill? More varmint or more geared towards CQB? That will help determine length and twist but its hard to beat a 1:8 16" for all around and most manufacturers will produce a good barrel.
Gas block isnt all that important other than specialized for suppressor or low-profile vs front sight block.
Handguard will be preference and mounting styles will vary which is where i choose my preference.
Uppers are pretty universal so choose billet vs forged.
Buffer tube is easy unless you need name brand.
Lower parts are pretty universal except triggers.

Maybe just borrow tools or get some help from our Homie Depot guys down south for your first build then decide if you need tools. My first lower was assembled with a hammer, needle nose pliers and a hand drive finish nail.

Extras: battery assist device, Battle arms development ambi safety and upgraded charging handle.

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Once you build 3 or 4 of them you will know what you like the best. :thumbsup2:
-Stick with Aero, BCM, and Mega for top quality parts at a reasonable cost.
-Buy your uppers built and build your lowers yourself for optimum reliability (and usually less troubleshooting).
-Rule of thumb for twist. ymmv. 1:7 for 62-77grain grain+, 1:8 for 55-62 grain, 1:9 for 42-55 grain
-Barrel finish? LPK finish? I prefer Nitride for durability and precision (melonite)

Divided we fall.

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Roll-pin punch set. And/or a set of Gnipex (spelling?) which seem to be the rage here.
Geissele Reaction rod for installing barrels
(don't forget the grease for the barrel assembly. You can get tiny amounts - enough to do twenty rifle builds - on ebay, or go buy a HUGE grease gun tube of... what's it called? Aeroshell?)
Mega is going by the wayside since the merger/buyout; whatever it was. If you can find upper/ower sets they are great. But from now own they will be branded as Zev. (I heard scuttlebutt that the guy who did Mega's anodizing was a wizard but isn't making the move to Zev)

The rest is pretty much personal preference. What ever you don't choose this time is almost certain to be on the next as you catch the "bug".

You'll probably build one with every accessory you can buy and then build one that is super light weight...then build one that is... you get the picture.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

UpDog wrote:
Barrel: What kind of ammo will you be shooting? Work backwards from there. If you're not the type of guy to shoot match grade ammo, do not buy shit for that.

Gas block: What kind of ammo and what barrel length? Suppressed or nah? You want to go piston or d.i.? no need for fancy if you ain't doing fancy shit.

Upper: Your choice/cosmetics. BCG weight can mean sometime.

Buffer tube (eh)/specifically buffer weight: What kind of ammo/BCG/Gas block/Barrel? Some fine tuning involved. Go standard first. Heavier buffer if needed.

Lower parts: Your choice. Some things are useful like ambi safety.

keymod: There is a military test (if it makes you feel better) out there on keymod vs mlok. read the report. But I will say mlok seems to have more support because of the name behind it.

Tools: AR wrench, needlenose pliers and brass punch set/hammer, upper and lower vise. Masking tape to prevent scuffs.

I agree with UpDog, but a few additional points.

Barrel is very important, many budget barrels will get you just over 1'ish MOA but the good ones (BCM, Rainier, etc etc) will get better than 1-MOA if everything else is up to snuff. I recommend spending some cash on a good barrel if you want "precision"... but don't hesitate to pick up a Palmetto barrel if its for blasting, defense, general fuckery.

BCG - Budget is okay here but realize what you are sacrificing. BCG is the major moving piece, this and the barrel will determine your round count before the rifle fails. There's plenty of torture tests on youtube, IV888 shows a budget AR (Palmetto) failing at 440'ish rounds full-auto vs a slightly more premium AR (RSC Relia-bolt and Faxon barrel) going into the 800's vs a POF piston AR going over 2500 rounds before failure. Interesting videos, just some (extreme full-auto) data points.

Low-profile gas block is needed if you want longer free floated railed handguards, which is all the rage now days.
You'll want an adjustable gas block if you plan on going suppressed in the future.

Upper - brand doesn't matter much these days. A budget complete upper might be the ticket for your first AR, it can help you see, feel, and tinker with a working upper... then you can buy a better barrel and start customizing that same upper with little investment lost.

Oh one more tip. Buy now, while all the sales and current state of politics are in our favor.

NRA Certified RSO
SAF/NRA Life Member

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just want a general all around gun. Something I can put holes into paper, but also put holes in to four legged or, incase of emergency, animals that have 206 bones and opposable thumbs. I also want something that will have some staying power and not crap out quickly. I want to take advantage of some of the sales I'm seeing for parts.

Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aeroshell-33MS ... SwQXZZ1xJo

That should be sufficient for a dozen rifles.

Rainier Arms barrels are pretty good, I hear.
I like the Noveske barrels.

Sounds like a 16" or 14.5" (with pinned FH) is what you're after
I'd go 1:7 for mid to heavier bewlitts.
Battlecomp FH or Precision Industries comps are sweet

Looking at trends, I'd say M-lok if you don't go with "traditional" picatinny quad rails.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

FJB

Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:02 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aeroshell-33MS-64-Mil-Spec-AR-Barrel-Nut-Thread-Grease-MIL-G-21164D-5g-Jar/322532461158?hash=item4b186eca66:g:ZK4AAOSwQXZZ1xJo

That should be sufficient for a dozen rifles.

Rainier Arms barrels are pretty good, I hear.
I like the Noveske barrels.

Sounds like a 16" or 14.5" (with pinned FH) is what you're after
I'd go 1:7 for mid to heavier bewlitts.
Battlecomp FH or Precision Armament comps are sweet

Looking at trends, I'd say M-lok if you don't go with "traditional" picatinny quad rails.

Fixed it. Precision Armament M-11 Severe Duty for an SPR/DMR (because it's slightly heavier/bulkier but my preference) https://precisionarmament.com/product/m11-muzzle-brake/ or Battlecomp for patrol rifle. Both are the flattest shooters I've ever experienced.

Agree M-Lok is the wave of the future.

Barrel and trigger quality are the two biggest factors for accuracy aside from the shooter.

Steer clear of aluminum gas block, use steel.

Milspec buffer tubes and stocks (as opposed to commercial) are also the trend and will leave you more options down the road.

Bolt carrier groups that are nitride finish are easier to clean and more lubricity than NiB or any other finish I have tried or know of.

Matching upper and lower receivers (of the same brand) will garner more respect from admirers. Billet receivers are more coveted than forged though I don't believe billet offers any distinct advantages other than aesthetics.

Buy a lower parts kit that doesn't include the grip or fire control group (FCG). It will be cheaper and inevitably everyone always upgrades to a Hogue or Magpul rubberized grip and their own preference for a better trigger (even if it's just to an ALG QMS or ALG ACT).

Last of all, don't be afraid to build your own upper. It's no more difficult than building the lower and you'll get much more satisfaction and knowledge out of the experience. There are plenty of guys on here that will already have all the tools you might need so feel free to hit one of us up before you start spending money on that end.

Last edited by old11bravo on Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:08 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In case you haven't noticed, another member has a White Oak 18" barrel for sale on this board.
That should make for a nice bench shooter. or DMR.

FJB

Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:50 am

old11bravo wrote:
jukk0u wrote:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aeroshell-33MS-64-Mil-Spec-AR-Barrel-Nut-Thread-Grease-MIL-G-21164D-5g-Jar/322532461158?hash=item4b186eca66:g:ZK4AAOSwQXZZ1xJo

Last of all, don't be afraid to build your own upper. It's no more difficult than building the lower and you'll get much more satisfaction and knowledge out of the experience. There are plenty of guys on here that will already have all the tools you might need so feel free to hit one of us up before you start spending money on that end.

I've got an AR wrench and an upper vice block you're welcome to borrow.

Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:37 am

Just do a 16" midlength for your first one. Aim has a 16" barrel/block for 20% off: https://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx ... oupid=8945

Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:46 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Put your money in the barrel, trigger, and whatever optic you choose.

I like Faxon barrels and Geissele triggers but there are lots of high end manufacturers right now, so look for deals. My absolute fav barrel is the Faxon GUNNER 20" 1:8 --- hits all the sweet spots in terms of weight, length (and therefore velocity), and rifling twist. Most 20" barrels make the rifle too muzzle-heavy for most stocks.

I also like Rainier Arms for parts because they simply do not stock crap. You could just about randomly pick parts from each category on their site and have a high quality rifle.

Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next