Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:12 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
 CMP approved to sell surplus 1911s in latest spending bill 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've only read a few articles, but I think the lion's share of all 1911's in US military inventory were made prior to 1945. Assuming this is true (grain of salt here, I'm not an expert, nor an historian), nearly all of the them going into the CMP are C&R eligible.

To answer mislabeled's question. I don't think anyone is issued a 1911 as a service weapon any longer unless they're a member of some elite team (SEAL, Delta, etc.) and specifically ask for it. The only issue weapon in current use is the M9 Beretta (I could be wrong on this as well, I know the Marines are starting or about to get their new pistol, can't remember what it is).

Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:34 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am curious if anyone here is willing to pay $800-1000 for the minimum offerings here? Or even more for the higher "grades?"

Quote:
“I want to make something clear, I’m going to guarantee you this is not the last you’ve seen of him (Beto),” Biden said Monday evening during a campaign rally in Dallas. “You’re (Beto) going to take care of the gun problem with me. You’re (Beto) going to be the one who leads this effort.”

https://www.newsweek.com/beto-orourke-g ... ns-1465738
Quote:
[Beto O'Rourke Suggests Police Would 'Visit' Homes To Implement Proposed Assault Weapons Ban] "In that case, I think that there would be a visit by law enforcement to recover that firearm... ..."If someone does not turn in an AR-15 or an AK-47, one of these weapons of war...then that weapon will be taken from them"

Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:11 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Alpine wrote:
I am curious if anyone here is willing to pay $800-1000 for the minimum offerings here? Or even more for the higher "grades?"

For me, probably not. It's not that I don't appreciate the historical value. I just don't know that there would be enough intrinsic value to justify that price, but I could be wrong.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:18 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Alpine wrote:

Not me. I already have a bunch of 1911's, historical value carries no cachet with me.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:44 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

The CMP sent a "clarification" email today:

CMP wrote:
To all CMP constituents:

The CMP Board of Directors has discussed at length how the sales of 1911s would be handled, if the CMP were to ever receive them from the United States Army.

Some preliminary decisions further clarified:

1. Decisions concerning the grade and pricing of the 1911s will not be made until inspection has occurred of a substantial quantity which will take an estimated 150 days post receipt.
2. All laws pertaining to the sale of 1911s by CMP will be strictly obeyed.
3. Potential purchasers will have to provide to CMP a new set of documents exhibiting: 1) proof of U.S. Citizenship, 2) proof of membership in a CMP affiliated club, 3) proof of participation in a marksmanship activity, 4) a new form 2A with notary, 5) a signed copy of the 01 Federal Firearms License in which the 1911 will be transferred to.
4. A NICS background check will be performed by CMP on the customer to assure the customer is eligible to purchase prior to shipment to the FFL licensed dealer. The customer must receive a "proceed" from NICS prior to shipment of the pistol to the FFL licensed dealer.
5. The CMP customer will be required to complete a form 4473 in person at the FFL dealers place of business, successfully passing a NICS check performed by the FFL holder, before the pistol can be transferred. This is a second NICS check performed on the customer.
6. Qualified CMP customer will only be allowed to purchase one 1911 per calendar year.
7. No 1911s available in the CMP stores, or on line, only mail order sales.
8. CMP will set the date in which it will accept orders for the 1911s. The date will be posted to the world.
9. Orders will only be accepted via mail order delivery.
10. Orders will only be accepted post marked on the date or after, no early orders.
11. Once CMP receives 10,000 orders, customer names will be loaded into the Random Number Generator.
12. The Random Number Generator will provide a list of names in sequence order through a random picking process to CMP.
13. Customers will be contacted in the sequence provided by the Random Number Generator.
14. When the customer is contacted a list of 1911 grades and pricing options that are available will be offered for selection of one.
15. As CMP proceeds down the sequenced list less grade and pricing options will be available. Again, this done completely random.

Note: 1911 type pistols purchased from CMP cannot be transferred to 03 FFL (curio and relic) license. BATF and the United States Army prefer the second background check be performed by a "store front" FFL dealer. Each customer purchasing a 1911 type pistol from CMP will be subjected to two NICS background checks, one performed by CMP and the other performed by the FFL dealer the pistol is being shipped to.

Mark Johnson
Chief Operating Officer
Civilian Marksmanship Program
http://www.thecmp.org

What a clusterfuck.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:43 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Offensive. .Gov at work.

Quote:
CMP has gone from being the gun organization of the average American to an elitist, money grubbing business.

~100,000 1911's, parceled out 10,000 per year for 10 years.
I'm guessing that the price will drop after American shooters respond with tepid interest at a starting cost of $1000.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:47 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Double background check, twice as safer!!!!!!

No C&R no care. Tools.

And face it, they'll be overpriced for even the rough ones anyway.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:00 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

ANZAC wrote:
Double background check, twice as safer!!!!!!

Oh, hello there irony!

Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guns4Liberty wrote:
Alpine wrote:

For me, probably not. It's not that I don't appreciate the historical value. I just don't know that there would be enough intrinsic value to justify that price, but I could be wrong.

Nope. I would invest in WW2 or WW1, but definately not these Colts. And I bet they'll rattle a bit when shook.
Unless I was 20 and knew I'd live another 50 years, then I might buy one because they will gain value. I've never known anyone to buy a Colt and lose money on it years later.

For $880-$1000 you can get a pretty decent new colt.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
Offensive. .Gov at work.

Quote:
CMP has gone from being the gun organization of the average American to an elitist, money grubbing business.

I'm guessing that the price will drop after American shooters respond with tepid interest at a starting cost of $1000.

I'm old enough to remember when CMP offered a great price on pistols and rifles to get people into the sport.
Now they're just rabelrousers trying to make a buck.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:22 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oh, I'm not going to say that I wouldn't want one of these, or wouldn't want one for the price. My bet is that they'll have some pretty cool old pistols.

That said, it sounds like a royal pain in the ass to get one, so it seems unlikely that I'll bother at this point.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

...but whuttiff it came with a nice slice of cake?

Divided we fall.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sportsdad60 wrote:
PMB wrote:
Offensive. .Gov at work.

Quote:

I'm old enough to remember when CMP offered a great price on pistols and rifles to get people into the sport.
Now they're just rabelrousers trying to make a buck.

Well, they aren't sponsored by the government like they used to be either. It's easy to give great prices and "be an organization for the people" when uncle Sam is paying the bills.

Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Big 5 wasn't supported by the government either and they had great prices on foreign government's surplus WW2 weapons.

Quote:
“I want to make something clear, I’m going to guarantee you this is not the last you’ve seen of him (Beto),” Biden said Monday evening during a campaign rally in Dallas. “You’re (Beto) going to take care of the gun problem with me. You’re (Beto) going to be the one who leads this effort.”

https://www.newsweek.com/beto-orourke-g ... ns-1465738
Quote:
[Beto O'Rourke Suggests Police Would 'Visit' Homes To Implement Proposed Assault Weapons Ban] "In that case, I think that there would be a visit by law enforcement to recover that firearm... ..."If someone does not turn in an AR-15 or an AK-47, one of these weapons of war...then that weapon will be taken from them"

Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Alpine wrote:
Big 5 wasn't supported by the government either and they had great prices on foreign government's surplus WW2 weapons.

Big 5's business is not built around a particular firearm. Fail on that comparison

Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next