Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 CMP approved to sell surplus 1911s in latest spending bill 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
usrifle wrote:
If the price was right, (and it won't be) i would be a buyer for the frame and slide rollmarks and stampings alone.

Expectations on price range?

usrifle wrote:
I am betting that 90 percent of them will "clapped out" though. Meaning they function and are in serviceable condition, but won't shoot for group or with reasonable accuracy.

:cussing:
Maybe I should just buy a regular production 1911 to learn on.

I have a few you can try, and weren't we gonna do some bump firing sometime?

I would expect prices to be silly...CAMP is in the business of raising money, not giving great surplus deals.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

These would make an excellent platform upon which to build a custom gun. My dad has an old pre series 70 government marked 1911 which was built by Novak umpteen years ago. It’s beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am starting to think my USGI M1911A1 was the bargain of the century. I can't imagine how the CMP will price them....

Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ANZAC wrote:
I am starting to think my USGI M1911A1 was the bargain of the century. I can't imagine how the CMP will price them....

How did you acquire yours if i may ask?

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:59 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

I see the old warhorse 1911’s in the Cabela’s Gun Gallery from time to time and I can’t imagine ever performing a full custom job on one. There’s a divine sacredness about them. One of my uncles has a bring back that belonged to my papa (grandfather on my mother’s side). If I ever get I️t, well....I️t won’t see any work.

Now if you want me to work on your old warhorse 1911, I’d fit a new barrel to it for sure. You want me to fit a beavertail safety? Are you REALLY SURE you want me to grind and file on that frame? Don’t like the loose fit frame to slide? Yes, there’s fitting bars for that. Are you REALLY SURE you want me to hammer your rails?

Do you see what I’m getting at here?

Now....where are those CMP 1911s!?

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:34 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dreadi wrote:
I see the old warhorse 1911’s in the Cabela’s Gun Gallery from time to time and I can’t imagine ever performing a full custom job on one. There’s a divine sacredness about them. One of my uncles has a bring back that belonged to my papa (grandfather on my mother’s side). If I ever get I️t, well....I️t won’t see any work.

Now if you want me to work on your old warhorse 1911, I’d fit a new barrel to it for sure. You want me to fit a beavertail safety? Are you REALLY SURE you want me to grind and file on that frame? Don’t like the loose fit frame to slide? Yes, there’s fitting bars for that. Are you REALLY SURE you want me to hammer your rails?

Do you see what I’m getting at here?

Now....where are those CMP 1911s!?

Personally? You can do whatever it takes to a few of my 1911's. :thumbsup2:

One i won't mess with. It's a Richard Neimer Built SGW Matchmaster and he's gone now.I love the trigger on that one, the frame with the unique Finger groove feels really good and i have had it for a long time.

Other than that? I have a couple in mind. :bigsmile:

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

By mere fact we can discuss surplus M1911s, M1 Garands and others coming back onto market means great things!

Make America Great Again!

Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:07 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Which is to 'best' club with CMP participation just in case one wanted to chase after a CMP purchase?

By 'best' I mean the bottom barrel $25 online membership that has a printable membership card type deal. I used to belong to a real club but now I just shoot in the backyard - no sweeps or barking ROs ...

NVM Garand collectors it is thegca.org

Last edited by SporkBoy on Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:23 am

Garand Collectors Association was a fairly inexpensive "club". You also get their magazine that has some good info on M1's. If you are former military or have concealed permit that covers shooting qualification.

Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:38 am

SporkBoy wrote:
Which is to 'best' club with CMP participation just in case one wanted to chase after a CMP purchase?

By 'best' I mean the bottom barrel $25 online membership that has a printable membership card type deal. I used to belong to a real club but now I just shoot in the backyard - no sweeps or barking ROs ...

NVM Garand collectors it is thegca.org

These guys, gals and kiddies are $25. http://www.wsrpa.net/wsrpa/

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:25 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I am not mistaken you need an officer from the club to sign the CMP form.

Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:26 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
ANZAC wrote:

How did you acquire yours if i may ask?

GunBroker.com, out of state, private sale. It was $1100. (corrected price, memory was hazy!)

It was made in 1943, reparkerized in the 50's through the armory - a lot of them went through that and it has the armory mark on it.
Most important thing is slide matches frame matches barrel according to the books (for a Remington Rand build).
It also has the correct mags. I got the impression that a lot of guns that went through the armory were mixed up (i.e. they'd refinish slides, frames, etc separately and put them all together regardless of manufacturer). So this gun is unusually good for an armory gun.

At the time WWII USGI collector guns were about $3k and up. (original condition, not parkerized)

It does have a nice amount of holster patina so it did get some daily use after it was reparkerized.
I had to replace the barrel link, and I used original wax wrapped surplus USGI parts.
The slide to frame fit is not all that bad.

I got a nice 1942 holster for it, but sadly I think despite good treatment that it has shrunk enough that it probably isn't usable in any practical way (very tight fit).

But it is a shooter and not a display gun, and I've never been shy about shooting it.
It is a gun that I am always happy to let my friends shoot.

My only struggle has been wanting to change to stag grips to match Longmire's 1911.

In the books Longmire served in Vietnam, and carries his Army 1911, so it is certainly possibly he carried a WWII era 1911. They even re-used the WWII holsters and dyed them black.

But in the end, I'm keeping it just as I received it.

Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:38 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
delliottg wrote:
usrifle wrote:
It would be kind of cool to have one..... if you want a clapped out old 1911A1 with providence.
There's a project for dreadi. :thumbsup2:

Even with Korea era 1911s several of us in my command were able to get our expert pins for pistol qualifications. They are combat pistols, built to loose tolerances deliberately. I'll take a clapped out US issue 1911 any day.

In case you have missed it, i am a 1911 guy delliottg :thumbsup2:

If the price was right, (and it won't be) i would be a buyer for the frame and slide rollmarks and stampings alone.

I am betting that 90 percent of them will "clapped out" though. Meaning they function and are in serviceable condition, but won't shoot for group or with reasonable accuracy.

I guess i should have clarified my opinion of clapped out. :bigsmile:

I meant no disrespect, I'm a 1911 fan as well. I'd love to have one of these if they actually get released. If it didn't group well, I might look into replacing enough parts to get it back into spec.

The ones I had access to in the USN may well be in this lot, most of them sounded like maracas when you shook them, but I don't remember ever having any problems with any of them. Of course since I was the "armorer" (hah!) for the command (I was an electrician who liked guns, and nobody else wanted to do it, so I volunteered), I knew exactly which one was the best of the litter (for everything we shot), and I made sure those were the ones issued to me during training).

Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:06 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mecha wrote:
If I am not mistaken you need an officer from the club to sign the CMP form.

You just need membership in a cmp affiliated organization.
Proof of marksmanship can require a signature, but your CPL will suffice. There are also a few other routes to the marksmanship requirement.

Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:20 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Used to be Glocks GSSF program qualified and also get a blue label Glock once a year.
http://gssfonline.com/registration.cfm

Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next