Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:41 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
 CMP approved to sell surplus 1911s in latest spending bill 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ANZAC wrote:
usrifle wrote:
ANZAC wrote:
I am starting to think my USGI M1911A1 was the bargain of the century. I can't imagine how the CMP will price them....

How did you acquire yours if i may ask?

GunBroker.com, out of state, private sale. It was $1100. (corrected price, memory was hazy!)

It was made in 1943, reparkerized in the 50's through the armory - a lot of them went through that and it has the armory mark on it.
Most important thing is slide matches frame matches barrel according to the books (for a Remington Rand build).
It also has the correct mags. I got the impression that a lot of guns that went through the armory were mixed up (i.e. they'd refinish slides, frames, etc separately and put them all together regardless of manufacturer). So this gun is unusually good for an armory gun.

At the time WWII USGI collector guns were about $3k and up. (original condition, not parkerized)

It does have a nice amount of holster patina so it did get some daily use after it was reparkerized.
I had to replace the barrel link, and I used original wax wrapped surplus USGI parts.
The slide to frame fit is not all that bad.

I got a nice 1942 holster for it, but sadly I think despite good treatment that it has shrunk enough that it probably isn't usable in any practical way (very tight fit).

But it is a shooter and not a display gun, and I've never been shy about shooting it.
It is a gun that I am always happy to let my friends shoot.

My only struggle has been wanting to change to stag grips to match Longmire's 1911.

In the books Longmire served in Vietnam, and carries his Army 1911, so it is certainly possibly he carried a WWII era 1911. They even re-used the WWII holsters and dyed them black.

But in the end, I'm keeping it just as I received it.

Be careful with high pressure loads in your sweet war fighting 1911. Colt didn't start hardening the slides until the mid 1960's. Earlier model slides are prone to breakage with heavy use and high pressure loads.

Divided we fall.

Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Duke EB wrote:
Mecha wrote:
If I am not mistaken you need an officer from the club to sign the CMP form.

You just need membership in a cmp affiliated organization.
Proof of marksmanship can require a signature, but your CPL will suffice. There are also a few other routes to the marksmanship requirement.

Proof of marksmanship is strange considering the whole point of the program is to foster marksmanship - seems catch 22ish.

Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SporkBoy wrote:
Duke EB wrote:
Mecha wrote:
If I am not mistaken you need an officer from the club to sign the CMP form.

You just need membership in a cmp affiliated organization.
Proof of marksmanship can require a signature, but your CPL will suffice. There are also a few other routes to the marksmanship requirement.

Proof of marksmanship is strange considering the whole point of the program is to foster marksmanship - seems catch 22ish.

The site (http://thecmp.org) is down right now, but it's actually proof of marksmanship activity or participation. I left an important word off the statement :bigsmile:

Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OhShoot! wrote:
Be careful with high pressure loads in your sweet war fighting 1911. Colt didn't start hardening the slides until the mid 1960's. Earlier model slides are prone to breakage with heavy use and high pressure loads.

Yeah I just use regular loads.

Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well it looks like the CMP is set to price gouge these things by possibly 40-100% above their actual value...

https://www.thegunwriter.com/23661/cmp- ... plus-1911/

Quote:
Pricing, Cooper said, is expected to be between $800-$1,000 for shooters.

“It’s hard to say exactly, but a good guess will be around $1,000 minimum,” he said. “One reason for this is that the 1911 is a very valuable pistol. Even though they may be shot out or busted up, we don’t want them falling into the hands of people who will just leave them in a glove box. We want a perceived value — more of an heirloom. We don’t want them considered a standard sidearm. All we need is to have someone commit a liquor store robbery with one and then we’ll be held accountable.

Their values might be a little bit less, but we want some sort of threshold to prevent anyone from coming in off the street and plunking down $400. I would guess they’d sell for $800 to $1,000 but they’ll go by grade like our M-1s — service grade to collector grade. The rarer ones — ones with all matching numbers or ones carried by celebrities or heroes with provenance, will go to our auction house.”

That rat bastard is openly admitting he is going to charge more than their worth to intentionally discriminate against lower income gun owners...

Here is the contact info for this clown: (419) 635-2141

Quote:
“I want to make something clear, I’m going to guarantee you this is not the last you’ve seen of him (Beto),” Biden said Monday evening during a campaign rally in Dallas. “You’re (Beto) going to take care of the gun problem with me. You’re (Beto) going to be the one who leads this effort.”

https://www.newsweek.com/beto-orourke-g ... ns-1465738
Quote:
[Beto O'Rourke Suggests Police Would 'Visit' Homes To Implement Proposed Assault Weapons Ban] "In that case, I think that there would be a visit by law enforcement to recover that firearm... ..."If someone does not turn in an AR-15 or an AK-47, one of these weapons of war...then that weapon will be taken from them"

Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
It would be kind of cool to have one..... if you want a clapped out old 1911A1 with providence.
There's a project for dreadi. :thumbsup2:

I might just buy one. With luck (lots of it) I might get the same POS that Uncle Sam issued me back in 1965, Sucker was so shot out it literally rattled when I cleaned it and gave it a good shake. Back then it was a choice of a 1911 or nothing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Totally ignorant question here: Who in the military is still using 1911s? Or have most of these been buried in an Indiana Jones-style warehouse for the past 3 (5?) decades?

Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:07 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

The CMP sent this email today:

CMP wrote:
To all CMP constituents:

The CMP Board of Directors has discussed at length how the sales of 1911s would be handled, if the CMP were to ever receive them from the United States Army.

Some preliminary decisions:

Decisions concerning the grade and pricing of the 1911s will not be made until inspection has occurred of a substantial quantity which will take an estimated 150 days post receipt.
All laws pertaining to the sale of 1911s by CMP will be strictly obeyed.
Potential purchasers will have to provide to CMP a new set of documents exhibiting: 1) proof of U.S. Citizenship, 2) proof of membership in a CMP affiliated club, 3) proof of participation in a marksmanship activity, 4) a new form 2A with notary, 5) successful completion of a NICS background check, 6) a signed copy of the 01 Federal Firearms License in which the 1911 will be transferred to.
The CMP customer will be required to complete a form 4473 in person and successfully complete another NICS check by the recipient FFL holder before the pistol can be transferred.
Qualified CMP customer will only be allowed to purchase one 1911 per calendar year.
No 1911s available in the CMP stores, or on line, only mail order sales.
CMP will set the date in which it will accept orders for the 1911s. The date will be posted to the world.
Orders will only be accepted via mail order delivery.
Orders will only be accepted post marked on the date or after, no early orders.
Once CMP receives 10,000 orders, customer names will be loaded into the Random Number Generator.
The Random Number Generator will provide a list of names in sequence order through a random picking process to CMP.
Customers will be contacted in the sequence provided by the Random Number Generator.
When the customer is contacted a list of 1911 grades and pricing options that are available will be offered for selection of one.
As CMP proceeds down the sequenced list less grade and pricing options will be available. Again, this done completely random.

Mark Johnson
Chief Operating Officer
Civilian Marksmanship Program
www.thecmp.org

The 4473 background check thing confuses me . . . does that mean that you need to have a NICS check run on a non-existent gun and submit proof that you passed, and THEN you go into a lottery to buy one, and once you buy one then you need to pass another NICS check when the gun actually arrives?

Seems weird.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, i'm gonna pay 1000 bucks for a clapped out 1911 because it says' "US PROPERTY" on it? :ROFLMAO:

Hmmmm....No, i don't think so. You will not be getting anything collectible or pristine for that money, anything like that will go to Auction.

You would be far better off buying a new Springfield...for less Money.

Some guys will want one no matter what. I get that, but if you expect a shooter rather than a Conversation piece, expect to spend money and lose the Collectibility.

Almost anything really desirable with US markings is already out there, there may be some interesting pieces that come from that release but the Auction prices will be stupid.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:50 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

MadPick wrote:
The CMP sent this email today:

CMP wrote:
To all CMP constituents:

The CMP Board of Directors has discussed at length how the sales of 1911s would be handled, if the CMP were to ever receive them from the United States Army.

Some preliminary decisions:

Decisions concerning the grade and pricing of the 1911s will not be made until inspection has occurred of a substantial quantity which will take an estimated 150 days post receipt.
All laws pertaining to the sale of 1911s by CMP will be strictly obeyed.
Potential purchasers will have to provide to CMP a new set of documents exhibiting: 1) proof of U.S. Citizenship, 2) proof of membership in a CMP affiliated club, 3) proof of participation in a marksmanship activity, 4) a new form 2A with notary, 5) successful completion of a NICS background check, 6) a signed copy of the 01 Federal Firearms License in which the 1911 will be transferred to.
The CMP customer will be required to complete a form 4473 in person and successfully complete another NICS check by the recipient FFL holder before the pistol can be transferred.
Qualified CMP customer will only be allowed to purchase one 1911 per calendar year.
No 1911s available in the CMP stores, or on line, only mail order sales.
CMP will set the date in which it will accept orders for the 1911s. The date will be posted to the world.
Orders will only be accepted via mail order delivery.
Orders will only be accepted post marked on the date or after, no early orders.
Once CMP receives 10,000 orders, customer names will be loaded into the Random Number Generator.
The Random Number Generator will provide a list of names in sequence order through a random picking process to CMP.
Customers will be contacted in the sequence provided by the Random Number Generator.
When the customer is contacted a list of 1911 grades and pricing options that are available will be offered for selection of one.
As CMP proceeds down the sequenced list less grade and pricing options will be available. Again, this done completely random.

Mark Johnson
Chief Operating Officer
Civilian Marksmanship Program
http://www.thecmp.org

The 4473 background check thing confuses me . . . does that mean that you need to have a NICS check run on a non-existent gun and submit proof that you passed, and THEN you go into a lottery to buy one, and once you buy one then you need to pass another NICS check when the gun actually arrives?

Seems weird.

I didn't know they could run a NICS without a firearm being transferred. I'm sure NICS is going to be pleased when they get bombarded with 10k frivolous background checks

Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Talked to a vet who carried am army issue 1911 his entire time in the service, and in civilian law enforcement he got permission to keep carrying his own. He's a true 1911 connoisseur. He told me these are for the most part going to be of such crap quality he wouldn't pay more than $300 for one. The article I linked to seems to show that CMP realizes this and doesn't care anyway. I won't be bothering with it. Too bad.

Quote:
“I want to make something clear, I’m going to guarantee you this is not the last you’ve seen of him (Beto),” Biden said Monday evening during a campaign rally in Dallas. “You’re (Beto) going to take care of the gun problem with me. You’re (Beto) going to be the one who leads this effort.”

https://www.newsweek.com/beto-orourke-g ... ns-1465738
Quote:
[Beto O'Rourke Suggests Police Would 'Visit' Homes To Implement Proposed Assault Weapons Ban] "In that case, I think that there would be a visit by law enforcement to recover that firearm... ..."If someone does not turn in an AR-15 or an AK-47, one of these weapons of war...then that weapon will be taken from them"

Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:51 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Anyone that wants to spend a $1000 on their clapped out 1911, halla at ya boy.

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:58 pm
Profile WWW
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Do these qualify as C&R? Looks like they wouldn't sell them to an 03, but in other circumstances?

Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:45 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

PMB wrote:
Do these qualify as C&R? Looks like they wouldn't sell them to an 03, but in other circumstances?

If they are more than 50 years old, then yes they are C&R.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:47 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

MadPick wrote:
PMB wrote:

If they are more than 50 years old, then yes they are C&R.

:ffight:
I'll ask my question in a different way.
Does anyone know if these 1911s were made prior to 1967 or 1968 (depending on the sale date)?

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/curios-relics

Quote:
To be recognized as C&R items, 478.11 specifies that firearms must fall within one of the following categories:

1. Firearms which were manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas of such firearms;

2. Firearms which are certified by the curator of a municipal, State, or Federal museum which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest; and

3. Any other firearms which derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, bizarre, or because of their association with some historical figure, period, or event.

Then we have the information that Alpine shared:
Alpine wrote:
Well it looks like the CMP is set to price gouge these things by possibly 40-100% above their actual value...

https://www.thegunwriter.com/23661/cmp- ... plus-1911/

Quote:
Pricing, Cooper said, is expected to be between $800-$1,000 for shooters.

“It’s hard to say exactly, but a good guess will be around $1,000 minimum,” he said. “One reason for this is that the 1911 is a very valuable pistol. Even though they may be shot out or busted up, we don’t want them falling into the hands of people who will just leave them in a glove box. We want a perceived value — more of an heirloom. We don’t want them considered a standard sidearm. All we need is to have someone commit a liquor store robbery with one and then we’ll be held accountable.

Their values might be a little bit less, but we want some sort of threshold to prevent anyone from coming in off the street and plunking down $400. I would guess they’d sell for $800 to $1,000 but they’ll go by grade like our M-1s — service grade to collector grade. The rarer ones — ones with all matching numbers or ones carried by celebrities or heroes with provenance, will go to our auction house.”

That rat bastard is openly admitting he is going to charge more than their worth to intentionally discriminate against lower income gun owners...

Here is the contact info for this clown: (419) 635-2141

Adding those two tidbits together gives us an overlapping picture of C&R status. Many of the pistols are likely over 50 years old, and Mr Cooper clearly indicated that every single one of them qualifies under item #3 of the ATF's own definition.

3. Any other firearms which derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, bizarre, or because of their association with some historical figure, period, or event.
Quote:
We want a perceived value — more of an heirloom. We don’t want them considered a standard sidearm.

Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:16 am
Reply to topic   [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next