Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:06 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Scope mounting advice sought 
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

sinus211 wrote:
You're a handy guy. Why not drill and tap the receiver for a proper rail?

I think that your suggestion is probably the best for this rifle, if I plan to keep using it as my every day shooter out of habit and affection.
This is an exercise for an old man who is trying to keep using his favorite .22, instead of switching to one that's probably better suited.
I have 10/22s... I do not like them because SemiAuto only. The Monkey Wards is a SA with locking bolt, and I almost exclusively use it as a bolt action to shoot CB Longs, or sometimes shorts. Kind of silly of me probably.

Similar scope mounts... On the Marauder (PCP .25) It looks about the same size, but I didn't throw the calipers on it.
I don't use the PCP much because I haven't set up a 3000psi compressor yet, and pumping it up is a PITA.
I don't think that pubic hair in the pic is mine. Disturbing.

On the Savage... Bolt action target rifle, and too pretty to use the way that I use that old Model 87:
That pube looks like mine. Good.

My wife's 10/22, with which she pisses me off on a regular basis by outshooting me: (J/k, I like it.)

A neglected Marlin ...

I'm going to throw a caliper on a couple of those.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:45 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

jukk0u wrote:
Don't know if it only applies to airguns. Thed dovetails just reminded me of old Benjamins and etc that are cut that way.

Yeah, I see it now that I was looking over other rifles, including a couple of airguns.

jukk0u wrote:
That said, if those rings hold tight... why not use them?
Are those 10/22 rings?
EDIT: you probably have Weaver rings? In that case you would have to get 13mm-to-Weaver adapter/rings?

Why not use them? Before I joined WaGuns I might have just cinched them down and gone killing. Since I usually only shoot CCI CB Longs in that old Monkey Wards 87 recoil is not an issue I don't think.
I don't know where the rings came from- probably a gun show, or in a box of parts that I bought over the years.
I am reading up on Weaver, Picatinny, Leupold mounting systems. I'm a scope infant.
mtnwkr, I may do that.
MadPick wrote:
PMB wrote:
Steve's arrangement....

OK, OK . . . I guess what I thought I saw in the photo wasn't reality. :crybaby:

I thought it did look better... Your suggestion straightens up the movable side, which would allow a better/easier improvement like sreyemj talked about. No?
sreyemj wrote:
The airgun/22lr 3/8" and 11mm dovetail grooves tend to vary a lot from what the manufacturer claims (both the size of the rail and rings). I've had good luck modifying the UTG rings to fit a given rail by adding spacers under the clamp part or cutting away some of the material under the screws/clamp to fit a smaller rail.

By spacers under the clamp part, do you mean like brass shim stock just to take up a poor fit?
Is UTG a brand name or... a style? I know nothing.

sreyemj wrote:
Here's an example of one where I cut material away, in your case you would want to add a spacer under the screws/clamp. I also took some material off the bottom of both sides of the clamp to better fit the contour of the rail. The last thing I would do is remove the crappy sticky tape from inside the rings, rough up the inside with sandpaper, and bed the rings with JB weld. It's super easy to do and makes the cheap rings very usable.

I'm grokking some of that. Thank you for the descriptions- that helped.
Can you describe that bedding with JB Weld procedure?

That brings up a question that I have been meaning to ask for awhile about cheap versus spendy rings.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those guns look like you put them outside after the Mt. St. Helens eruption... and left them there. Gonna start calling you "Dusty". :wink05:

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:09 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

jukk0u wrote:
Those guns look like you put them outside after the Mt. St. Helens eruption... and left them there. Gonna start calling you "Dusty". :wink05:

They don't look bad at all in real life... Throw a flash on there and all sorts of ugly pops out.
It's true though... I have completely neglected all my Tools of Freedom except for 2 CC pistols this whole year. Busiest and most frustrating year of my life.
I enjoy disassembling and cleaning guns.... I can't wait to get this big project behind me so I'll have time for things like that again.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:17 pm

PMB wrote:
sreyemj wrote:
The airgun/22lr 3/8" and 11mm dovetail grooves tend to vary a lot from what the manufacturer claims (both the size of the rail and rings). I've had good luck modifying the UTG rings to fit a given rail by adding spacers under the clamp part or cutting away some of the material under the screws/clamp to fit a smaller rail.

By spacers under the clamp part, do you mean like brass shim stock just to take up a poor fit?
Is UTG a brand name or... a style? I know nothing.

UTG or Leapers make similar rings but they sell under a bunch of brand names. With some modification they work very well and there aren't that many good options for reasonably price 11mm rings. I would use a brass shim with two holes for the bolts.

For bedding: Rough the inside of the rings with sandpaper wrapped around a dowel (the anodizing is very slippery), rub kiwi neural color shoe polish on the scope tube (keeps glue from sticking), put your JB weld/epoxy on the rings, set scope in rings, and lightly tighten screws.

When it's set but not rock hard, you can pull the scope out and trim the excess glue with a razor. Sometimes it take a whack with your palm to loosen the scope but it shouldn't be too hard to remove. There are some good DIYs around on bedding rings, I made one awhile back but it died with photobucket.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Peep sights work pretty well even with old eyeballs.

Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2