Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:27 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Bolt action hunting rifle 

So the wife decided that she wants to get into hunting so that means hunters ed and new rifles for us. The only bolt gun I've owned is a moron nagant, I've shot some but never educated myself on them so all I know is the basics. Yeah they are simple guns but I'd like to know what makes rifle x better than rifle z. I have this silly thought in my head that a nice smooth, effortless action and trigger will make her experience better, kinda like her wearing expensive jewelry or me daily driving a bad ass car. These guns would be handed down to my kids since they like to go hunting too.

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:14 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What caliber, animal, and price range?

Tikka T3x, Remington 700, Bergara HMR, etc.

Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:37 am

BlDtyLry wrote:
What caliber, animal, and price range?

Tikka T3x, Remington 700, Bergara HMR, etc.

Her 308, me perhaps 6.5 creedmoor. Mostly deer but she probably will go elk hunting with her dad. Up to 700 or so before scope. I know what is out there for rifles I want to know what people prefer and look for mostly

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:46 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have two Rem700’s (308Win & 300Blk) . My next bolt gun will be T3X Hunter Fluted in 300WSM specifically for hunting elk.

Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:59 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

For me, I look almost exclusively at my ability to handle the rifle to get a hunting-sized group at whatever distance I expect to be shooting. Here in Western WA for Blacktail, I want a 3" group, iron sights at 100 yards from a rest. That may seem sloppy to some of you experts. Sorry.
In Montana and Wyoming, I added a scope and BDC for the variable long(er) ranges, but with the goal of having a 3" or less group at any range I expect to take an animal at.
For the Missus, I consider the things that you mentioned - basically adding in the comfort and capability factor. Trigger pull and smoothness, overall weight of the rifle, and the combination of weight/recoil, so caliber dropped for her too.
She chose a Ruger M77 Hawkeye in .243.

I like to hear about the wives shooting and hunting. :cheers2:

Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Im a huge fan of Tikkas. Have 3 currently, have had quite a few over the years. Can't go wrong with them. Light, reliable, and very accurate.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love my Howa 1500, and they come in both calibers mentioned.

Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:30 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a tikka T3 lite in 7mm rem mag. It's lite and very accurate. I put a muzzle brake on it and my 9 year old can shoot it. I know 2 others that have tikka's and they all shoot 1" groups at 100 yards with factory ammo and sub moa with reloads. Can't go wrong with tikka's.

Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I prefer the Model 700s. That said, I own just about every mainstream brand of bolt action made. All of the new name brand rifles shoot "hunting accuracy". The best thing is to go to a large retailer like Cabelas and handle them all, because really any of them will kill an animal well if you have proper shot placement, and select the proper bullet for the animal you're hunting. It's more about what you like, not what we like.

If you wanted the most accurate rifle for the money, that would be an entirely different conversation.

Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:30 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For WA hunting I strongly prefer stainless rifles with detachable magazines. I hate shucking rounds when I have to get back into a vehicle, and I REALLY hate rust. With those guidelines I went Tikka T3 and it's a terrific rifle for the money. Sako/Beretta made some things more cheaply than the Sako line, but you still get a smooth action and Sako barrel. The cost of magazines is way out of line but you'll only cry once when you get 2 or 3 spares.

I wanted a "thumper" rifle and went the Ruger American route, but honestly if Tikka made a short barrel stainless rifle in .450 Bushmaster or .458 SOCOM I would have gone that route. The Ruger bolt is not as smooth and it has probably the worst plastic stock I've ever experienced (thin, weak, touching the barrel on one side before I fixed it). By this time next year my rifle will probably have a Boyds laminate stock.

Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have picked up a Savage 11 Scout. It has iron peep sights for the close ranges in western wa and a scope mount if I want distance. It's not heavy at 7.8lbs and doesn't punish you like some of the ultra light rifles when shooting. A medium profile barrel is again a compromise between weight and shooting more than three times before your groups start to wander. Push feed action means you can drop rounds in the chamber unlike controlled feed actions. All in all, the rifle doesn't excel at anything, but it's good for everything, an all around tool.

Aluminum block stock and adjustable triggers are a plus at only 550$ when I bought it.

Finally, I sent my rifle for FNC treatment and now it has better corrosion resistance than stainless rifles.

I was considering a Tikka T3 lite as a close second, but found that parts and accessories were harder to find and more expensive.

Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:09 pm

Took her to sportsman warehouse and checked out a ruger american, a mossberg and a howa 1500. The ruger stock was complete shit, the mossberg was ok but the howa had a houge rubber stock, was better balanced and had a way better trigger. The gun felt great and was only $375. My daughter was being a huge asshole and making a scene so we didn't check any others out, so we'll have to go back, but for the price I think the howa will be hard to beat.

Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:35 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Howa makes a great rifle, I doubt you could go wrong with one of those. But, I'm not a hunter so don't take my advice over the other more experienced guys here.

Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tikka

Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:43 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Savage is well known for accuracy and womens/youths rifles

Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next