Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 4:06 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Bolt action hunting rifle 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

howa is great but and i have dropped many animals with one, that said i love savage rifles and for ladies their lady hunter series is hard to beat. the wifey loves hers and has been insanely accurate with bothe her 243 for deer and 7mm rem mag for elk

Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Savage 11/111 combo is a great starter set-up.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting ... s?slotId=1

Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ruger American triggers are nice and the OOB accuracy is nice but those plastic stocks are an embarrassment. The magazine indexes on the stock and not the action so there are feeding problems if the stock is not properly torqued to spec.

Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love my new Savage, tons of aftermarket support and it would be easy to turn into anything for the rest of your life. Barrel changes aren't much more difficult than an AR. 400 bucks, 100 dollar rebate right now.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 6.5 Creedmore is a must buy for a hunter brand new to bolt guns so you can squeeze out that minuscule extra precision accuracy on your 800 yard kill shot on that majestic elk.

And you'll appreciate the hunt more when you pay more for your gear, and have to work just a little harder to find the ammo at the local stores when you forget to pack it on your African hunt, or simply borrow the .270 that someone else brought ...

Or, you can simply join common wisdom and get a gun that does the same thing, in a far more common caliber, and take realistic 100-200 yard shots. Over on TOS here's an informal poll among hunters when asked what the average distance of their deer hunting shots. ~95% said under 150 yards with most being under 100 yards. Unless you simply cannot get closer, most hunters will tell you an ethical shot is at under 200 or 300 yards max. And at those ranges, a 7mm, .270, or .308, or .3006 or other very common deer calibers will be probably your best choices due to cost and commonality.

And for the wife, I'd encourage a .270. Flatter and softer shooting and a bit more range than the .308, for those elk hunts, if there's any canyon shooting involved.

As for caliber, that's Ford v. Chevy round #1. Ding ding.

6.5 Creedmore will literally do nothing for you but bleed your wallet.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/showth ... p?t=266313

https://www.thefirearmsforum.com/thread ... nce.75239/

As for platform, it's Ford v. Chevy round #2. Ding ding.
Savage, Howa, Tikka, Ruger, and on and on and on. There's probably not a hair of difference in most, so it comes down to preference. Fixed or detachable mags, type and location of safety, bedded or not, etc. Much easier on the wallet as lightly used deer rifles turn for sale almost daily at deep discounts off retail. Probably every day you can find a barely used deer rifle on Armslist for 75% {off} - this meant to read 75% of retail, meaning 25% discount].

Last edited by leadcounsel on Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:44 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

leadcounsel wrote:
The 6.5 Creedmore is a must buy for a hunter brand new to bolt guns so you can squeeze out that minuscule extra precision accuracy on your 800 yard kill shot on that majestic elk.

And you'll appreciate the hunt more when you pay more for your gear, and have to work just a little harder to find the ammo at the local stores when you forget to pack it on your African hunt, or simply borrow the .270 that someone else brought ...

Or, you can simply join common wisdom and get a gun that does the same thing, in a far more common caliber, and take realistic 100-200 yard shots. Over on TOS here's an informal poll among hunters when asked what the average distance of their deer hunting shots. ~95% said under 150 yards with most being under 100 yards. Unless you simply cannot get closer, most hunters will tell you an ethical shot is at under 200 or 300 yards max. And at those ranges, a 7mm, .270, or .308, or .3006 or other very common deer calibers will be probably your best choices due to cost and commonality.

And for the wife, I'd encourage a .270. Flatter and softer shooting and a bit more range than the .308, for those elk hunts, if there's any canyon shooting involved.

Savage, Howa, Tikka, Ruger, and on and on and on. There's probably not a hair of difference in most, so it comes down to preference. Fixed or detachable mags, type and location of safety, bedded or not, etc. Much easier on the wallet as lightly used deer rifles turn for sale almost daily at deep discounts off retail. Probably every day you can find a barely used deer rifle on Armslist for 75% off retail.

Im doubting that a .270 is softer shooting than a .308 in general. The .270 is based off the 30-03 cartridge which is a LA in bolt guns while a .308 is a SA. I see more powder as creating more recoil in a rifle with the same specs

Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

das_napeth wrote:
leadcounsel wrote:

Savage, Howa, Tikka, Ruger, and on and on and on. There's probably not a hair of difference in most, so it comes down to preference. Fixed or detachable mags, type and location of safety, bedded or not, etc. Much easier on the wallet as lightly used deer rifles turn for sale almost daily at deep discounts off retail. Probably every day you can find a barely used deer rifle on Armslist for 75% off retail.

Im doubting that a .270 is softer shooting than a .308 in general. The .270 is based off the 30-03 cartridge which is a LA in bolt guns while a .308 is a SA. I see more powder as creating more recoil in a rifle with the same specs

Disagree with the cheap used rifle theory --- hardly ever see it. Even used rifles in "obsolete" chamberings like 6mm Remington or .284 Winchester go for more $ than a budget rifle from Wal-Mart or Cabelas. Is the old rifle made better? Probably so. Sometimes those cheaper rifles come up used but you end up saving tax and maybe a little off retail.

Felt recoil seems to have way more to do with bullet weight than powder burnt. I can't claim to have shot nearly everything under the sun but it seems to check out with me.

Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:27 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Do you need to buy new rifles? Or do you want to buy new rifles?

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:24 pm
Profile WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

leadcounsel wrote:

Savage, Howa, Tikka, Ruger, and on and on and on. There's probably not a hair of difference in most, so it comes down to preference. Fixed or detachable mags, type and location of safety, bedded or not, etc. Much easier on the wallet as lightly used deer rifles turn for sale almost daily at deep discounts off retail. Probably every day you can find a barely used deer rifle on Armslist for 75% {off} - this meant to read 75% of retail, meaning 25% discount].

Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:12 pm

dreadi wrote:
Do you need to buy new rifles? Or do you want to buy new rifles?

I buy new if it's still in production.

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:54 pm

leadcounsel wrote:

I have a friend that has 86 acres in eastern wa, so I'll be taking some long shots at coyotes. But thanks for the lecture pops.

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mediumrarechicken wrote:
leadcounsel wrote:

I have a friend that has 86 acres in eastern wa, so I'll be taking some long shots at coyotes. But thanks for the lecture pops.

Maybe when asking for advice on a long range varmint gun one should not say they are wanting a deer rifle.... thumbsup

Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:15 pm

leadcounsel wrote:
Mediumrarechicken wrote:
leadcounsel wrote:

Maybe when asking for advice on a long range varmint gun one should not say they are wanting a deer rifle.... thumbsup
maybe you should just stop assuming what I'll be doing....

Maybe, just maybe I'll be hunting deer and taking out coyotes...i know it's hard to wrap your head around it but yeah..not once did I ask for help on a caliber

Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:45 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

What a great conversation. Maybe try NOT being shitty for a while...?

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
What a great conversation. Maybe try NOT being shitty for a once...?

:bigsmile:

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next