Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:20 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Taurus or Ruger 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh it’s a long, hard (that’s what she said)...trigger pull. But it’s smooth and consistent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Taurus has been making revolvers since 41, ruger since 72. Ruger makes a nicer pistol that has more resale value. Taurus has had 31 more years to perfect their product and hasn’t. I would hardly call ruger up and coming. However my mom has a taurus model 94 and it is pretty nice. Not saying Taurus is junk but it is not as good as ruger.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Taurus, but for fun get the PMR-30.

Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ruger.

Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:

Agreed. The Grendel is fun too. Mine actually shoots too

Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have owned two Taurus before (A Ford and a gun) and both were absolute crap.

The PT-100 40 S&W Semi auto, I had to drift the front sight nearly off the slide in order just to get it 3" left of bullseye 21ft. It was NIB when I bought it.
The Ford Taurus, well, you know it's reputation. :)

Regarding revolvers, I like to buy the old ones. Better quality and the timing seems MUCH better on the old stuff. Colt, S&W, Ruger in that order.

Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:33 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:

Good call. Especially since the PMRs aren't made of unobtanium anymore.

Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:07 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

sinus211 wrote:
Interesting. Since a few of you guys seem pretty happy with the trigger in your LCR I did some googling and there are a lot of people touting the LCR as having one of the smoothest/lightest DA trigger pulls of most modern revolvers. I'm a little shocked. I remember when they first came out I picked one up that must have been around 15lbs pull on DA. Maybe they have made some improvements to the trigger since the early models?

I had a poor impression about the trigger also- I had heard poor reviews before buying one. Poor reviews have rarely slowed my purchases of Tools of Freedom. Silly of me.
The trigger pull is heavier than most any other ToF that I own- so I am curious about the "smoothest/lightest" reviews. I thought that it was intentionally heavy as a pocket gun.

I have steered clear of Taurus because of a poor quality Taurus I owned a few decades ago, plus a few well known timing issues with revolvers. I'd guess that Taurus has improved their QC by now.

If you will only buy one of them I vote Ruger.

Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:12 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm not a fan of either brand of revolvers...but I'd go with the Ruger.

In almost 30 years of having an FFL I've sent more Taurus products back for warranty claims than any other brand.

Ironically the last was a revolver in .22 WMR that they couldn't get to keep the cylinder from binding up (failing to rotate) after shooting.

-- Travis A Kisner

Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:43 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

foothills wrote:

In almost 30 years of having an FFL I've sent more Taurus products back for warranty claims than any other brand.

Ironically the last was a revolver in .22 WMR that they couldn't get to keep the cylinder from binding up (failing to rotate) after shooting.

The real voice of experience, right there. :bow:

But darn, I had hoped that Taurus would have addressed their design or QC issues.
Do you know why Taurus has had (is having) this reliability problem?
Design or QC?

Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:48 am

I have a couple Taurii revolvers including a Tracker .22 and no issues so far, none are new. We did however buy a new LCR .22 for the missus a couple years ago. .22s have a stiffer trigger pull needed to fire the rimfire round we were told and that part was tolerable. The problem we had was ejecting the spent shells, the ejection rod literally had to be smacked with something to get the empties out, no way to do it with a thumb. Traded that sucker off and later replaced with a Smith 317 and happy with it. So to the OPs original question , I would buy a Taurus over the LCR ...I'd probably buy an airsoft over the LCR but any of the other Ruger revolver offerings are pretty much gold.

Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:30 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
foothills wrote:

The real voice of experience, right there. :bow:

But darn, I had hoped that Taurus would have addressed their design or QC issues.
Do you know why Taurus has had (is having) this reliability problem?
Design or QC?

Seems like QC to me...but hey these are just my experiences. But then I'm a Ford guy too... :thumbsup2:

-- Travis A Kisner

Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2