Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:54 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Ownership changes at CAR Firearms? 

Now that I’m not as swamped, I should be around more. If anyone needs assistance with something, I’ll do my best to help. Firearms are my passion, and I’m not straying from it.

Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:05 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

JustFred wrote:
Now that I’m not as swamped, I should be around more. If anyone needs assistance with something, I’ll do my best to help. Firearms are my passion, and I’m not straying from it.

:thumbsup2:

Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wish Fred all the best.

That having been said, I'm going to post my experience. I've debated sharing this for several years, as I didn't want to offend anybody. But, since so many people speak well, it won't matter, and that's fine. Percentages matter. I know I'll catch flak, but all I can do is tell of my experience.

I came on here & TOS 2 1/2 + years ago looking for someone to check out a used shotgun I bought from someone that worked at I-5 guns in Tacoma. It looked fine, but I wanted a second opinion on safety.

Everyone said see Fred.

So, I called Fred & he said stop by, I'll check it out.

I stopped by his place in a garage, and went in. He looked at me like, "why are you here?", and I explained our conversation, and he said okay. He laid the shotgun down while talking to another guy for awhile, so I leaned on a bench.

He picked it up after the guy left, looked it over, and said "I don't know about this one, doesn't look so good", and handed it to me as he was talking to someone else coming in the door.

I left, but was puzzled for details, so I called him and asked what was wrong with it.

And he said, I swear to God, "that was a Mossberg that I would not have confidence in firing"..,,

I said, "it was a Remington Police 870, modified"...

He said, "oh, okay it's fine then..."

I'm not trying to dog Fred, seemed like a nice guy, but after 2+ years of hearing all the glowing reviews, I felt I needed to share my experience.

He will be fine; he has a great reputation, and I wish him well. I just wanted to share my experience. Thanks.

Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:18 pm

NWGunner wrote:
I wish Fred all the best.

That having been said, I'm going to post my experience. I've debated sharing this for several years, as I didn't want to offend anybody. But, since so many people speak well, it won't matter, and that's fine. Percentages matter. I know I'll catch flak, but all I can do is tell of my experience.

I came on here & TOS 2 1/2 + years ago looking for someone to check out a used shotgun I bought from someone that worked at I-5 guns in Tacoma. It looked fine, but I wanted a second opinion on safety.

Everyone said see Fred.

So, I called Fred & he said stop by, I'll check it out.

I stopped by his place in a garage, and went in. He looked at me like, "why are you here?", and I explained our conversation, and he said okay. He laid the shotgun down while talking to another guy for awhile, so I leaned on a bench.

He picked it up after the guy left, looked it over, and said "I don't know about this one, doesn't look so good", and handed it to me as he was talking to someone else coming in the door.

I left, but was puzzled for details, so I called him and asked what was wrong with it.

And he said, I swear to God, "that was a Mossberg that I would not have confidence in firing"..,,

I said, "it was a Remington Police 870, modified"...

He said, "oh, okay it's fine then..."

I'm not trying to dog Fred, seemed like a nice guy, but after 2+ years of hearing all the glowing reviews, I felt I needed to share my experience.

He will be fine; he has a great reputation, and I wish him well. I just wanted to share my experience. Thanks.

NWGunner, while I don’t remember this incident, I will accept your statement word for word as the truth. I am truly sorry for the way you were treated. I don’t ask for glowing reviews from anyone, because I am just a normal person, and I am not perfect by any means. I’m not going to explain it away, just know that I’m very sorry for what was done. I hope you the best as well.

Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you, Fred. And I appreciate the response.

My timing on this isn't meant to coincide with your challenges, and like I said, I wish you the best.

From what I've heard, your talents will carry you far, so my small experience won't matter.

I just had it in my head that I owed the community my experience, and when the subject came up again, I felt compelled.

For what it's worth, I've heard of some great things you've done over the years, so perhaps my request was beneath your time. I completely get that, I really do. But you said come on by, so I did.

You have many fans here, so post your new digs, and you'll have plenty of business.

All the best!

Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

best wishes with your future endeavors Fred, Do hope to see you again in about 8 months time when my rifle is ready.

Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:44 pm

Cmica, I really wish there was something I could do about that, but it’s out of my hands now. Sorry..

Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fred,
Are you open to taking on new business anytime soon?

Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:02 pm

Not for one year as my own business. Under another ffl, yes. It depends on where I land..

Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Partnerships are tough.

Mine fell apart about 8 years ago and it took about 5 years before we became friends again.

I hope you see the hope and opportunity in all of this. It's not a failure, just the end of a cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JustFred wrote:
Not for one year as my own business. Under another ffl, yes. It depends on where I land..

Please let us know where you land. I have a S&W model 51 that needs some TLC.

Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:09 pm

The main reason I did business with CaR was to support Fred. A lot of the work I could do myself but I still gave it to Fred because like to support people and businesses I appreciate. I will keep CaR in mind going forward but only for machinist work that I cannot do myself.

Thank you Fred for what you have done The gun community. If you get back up and running from your house I’ve got a surplus build in mind I am currently collecting parts for.

Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:16 pm

New ownership has definately changed for the better. As good as fred is he could never finish when he said he would. Projects are moving out the door on time, they have new firearms in stock and parts on the shelf.

Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is it getting shilly in here or is that just me?

Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:23 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

zxtaz wrote:
New ownership has definately changed for the better. As good as fred is he could never finish when he said he would. Projects are moving out the door on time, they have new firearms in stock and parts on the shelf.

You used your first post to bash a reputable gunsmith with a long standing reputation for quality work and craftsmanship? Sometimes quality takes time.

I'm not saying you're wrong or out of line, I don't know. But don't expect too many people to take you seriously considering this is your only forum post.

Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next