Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:19 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Flat top carry handles 101 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Today's topic: AR carry handles.
Can someone, anyone tell me the difference between a $13.95 carry handle off of ebay
and a BCM AR-15 Carry Handle - MILSPEC Height for $109.95?

Price?
Greed?

I've seen both. I've used both. I've seen some in between. I couldn't tell the difference. Just using either one and the stock A2 front site I shoot the same group.

I really call BS on the pricing.

Comments or real life experience appreciated.

Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:38 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The difference is about $96.00

But seriously, the difference will most probably be found in:

is the grade of aluminum the same (and is that important to you in a non combat role?)

fit and finish (sharper corners? less tough (or more tough coating - see environmental restrictions/costs below)

operating costs of production in terms of labor, and environmental protections involved in manufacture and worker safety

scale of production: is BCM as big of a foundry or mill as the Chinese competitor?

Big part of it is profit, sure. So the simple economics of the above can be skewed by a greedy CEO.

One also has to decide to support the U.S. worker at a U.S. standard of living or to undermine their (and ultimately your own) SOL by patronizing the foreign competitor.

KEEP America great :flag:

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

when you try and carry your rifle it breaks, but real men know you never carry them.

its all about material. are you cheap or like nice stuff?

Yaki's - last journey

Promote a Growth Mindset. Don't let a fixed mindset not allow change for the better.

pow·er trip - noun - a self-aggrandizing quest for ever-increasing control over others.

Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:12 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pros: Made in 'Merica
Cons: Made in China

Riddle me this.
How many of the "American" brand names have their stuff made in China?

Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good question.

The aluminum stock (ingots, bars) probably comes from foreign mills? but the machining can be done in a small(ish) space, so I would imagine a good portion of those parts ARE American machined.

Now springs, pins and etc.? I dunno.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The main differences will be in the quality of material, machining, and finish. And the BCM probably has a warranty while the Chinese one does not. Before you buy, check eBay. There are often good name brand items for much less than from other retailers. For example, you might find that BCM for $80 brand new...you never know.

Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've noticed in the last year a flood of Colt carry handles for for sale.
They can easily be found for $40.00ish. In new or very good condition.
Go to a WAC show and see what they have to offer.

Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:26 pm

Not much if you are a civilian, you might noticed if you are mil. But hardly any of those guys are running carry handles anymore it seems. Get 2 cheap ones and call it good.

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mediumrarechicken wrote:
Not much if you are a civilian, you might noticed if you are mil. But hardly any of those guys are running carry handles anymore it seems. Get 2 cheap ones and call it good.

Disagree...buy quality, only cry once.

-- Travis A Kisner

Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mediumrarechicken wrote:

That's my way of thinking.
I can't seem to justify the extra $$$ for something like that when they work just fine.

Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I really like the quality of the carry handle that I picked up from Aero. Great specs, and top quality milling and finish.

Divided we fall.

Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why would you carry your Rifle with a "handle" anyway? You sure as Hell aren't ready to use it then. I don't care what you are doing, it's just silly.

Go airsoft for all it matters, who carries an AR that way?? :popcorn:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It won't be such a good deal when the threads strip and it can't be tightened down.

Does it come with a chart for adjusting windage after adjusting elevation?

Which carry handle did they knock off? Will it work with a FSB or a BUIS?

True, BCM is rather proud of their stuff and I wouldn't spend that much on a carry handle.

Even more true: I wouldn't spend $13 on a cheap knock off either when the real thing can be had for $40-$50.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:51 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Used to be a rumor that there was a finer adjustment model in both windage and elevation

...maybe the spendyer ones are this finer adjustment model?

"Let us Cross the river and sit in the shade of the trees" .....Stonewall Jackson

T. Jefferson "....the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure"

Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]