Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 3:10 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 What kind of foregrip? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just got an email from Midway saying their Magpul stuff is on sale again. When I bought the furniture for my AR, I forgot a foregrip to go with the M-lok handguard so I want to get one this time around.

Those of you who have tried the different foregrips, which one would you recommend? My only experience has been a Fortis AFG on my APC9, which I don't find very comfortable on that gun.

AFG?
AFG2?
Vertical grip?
Hand stop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:21 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

I've personally never really cared for AFG's. I have Magpul RVFG's on 3 of my AR's.

Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I personally found the AFGs put my wrist at an odd angle that wasn't comfortable. The vertical grips were much better. I haven't ended up using any foregrips on my ARs but that was my experience when I tried them. I have short arms and I prefer to just use the mag well as my vertical grip, which I know some people say you shouldn't do but they're welcome to keep saying that and I'll keep right on doing it.

Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sinus211 wrote:
I've personally never really cared for AFG's. I have Magpul RVFG's on 3 of my AR's.

Thanks. Maybe I'll try the MVFG since I have an M-lok hand guard.

Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mislabeled wrote:
I personally found the AFGs put my wrist at an odd angle that wasn't comfortable. The vertical grips were much better. I haven't ended up using any foregrips on my ARs but that was my experience when I tried them. I have short arms and I prefer to just use the mag well as my vertical grip, which I know some people say you shouldn't do but they're welcome to keep saying that and I'll keep right on doing it.

That's what I've wound up doing on my APC9 rather than using the AFG. But I'm not sure if it's because the APC9 is tiny compared to an AR.

Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:26 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

mislabeled wrote:
I have short arms and I prefer to just use the mag well as my vertical grip, which I know some people say you shouldn't do but they're welcome to keep saying that and I'll keep right on doing it.

Why did they say not to use the magwell? I can't really see much of an issue as long as you aren't holding the mag itself.

Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sinus211 wrote:
mislabeled wrote:
I have short arms and I prefer to just use the mag well as my vertical grip, which I know some people say you shouldn't do but they're welcome to keep saying that and I'll keep right on doing it.

Why did they say not to use the magwell? I can't really see much of an issue as long as you aren't holding the mag itself.

From what I can gather, I think it's in part because people with larger hands aren't used to grabbing the mag well without also grabbing the magazine. They assume you can't do it. My hands are small enough that it hasn't ever been a problem. Also, some (particularly people who run 3-gun) are very focused on controlling the muzzle when moving from one target to the next. The farther their support hand is toward the front end of the gun, the better they feel they're able to quickly move/stop/move/stop. I've watched 3-gun -- if I had to hold my support hand as far forward as some of those competition guys do, I'd start stabbing people. I'm reasonably proficient using my current setup and I'm not interested in getting into the competitive side of things, so I'm calling it good.

Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:00 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I have a Grip Pod on one of my 16" .308 AR's.
The military version with the steel reinforced legs and you really can stand on it (I'm 6'01" 240# but wouldn't try jumping on it.).
Shop around, learn how to spot Chinese fakes.

Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:19 pm

Tangodown stubby or magpul vertical. I use a grip that's like you would use on an afg but im not limited to holding the afg in the one position it allows. A cut down afg butted up to a magpul vertical is pretty sweet, but you don't have the room for it.

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BCM KAG
https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCMGUNF ... km-blk.htm

Divided we fall.

Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:50 pm

That's dickmod bruv...

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mediumrarechicken wrote:

That's dickmod bruv...

oops my bad, but it is still super badass. :bigsmile:

Divided we fall.

Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mediumrarechicken wrote:

That's dickmod bruv...

I have those on three of my ARs. One of them is on a troy alpha forend. I had to modify it to work, but it does. I don't own any Mlok stuff so not sure if it could be modded for that. There must be something similar that's 'off the shelf' though.

I used to grab the front of the magwell in the before time, before we had all these options. I never saw problems with that. Then accessories came along and I moved to a GG&G VFG further forward. I really just used it as a hand stop. The BCM works better in this regard, it's vertical enough to work as a hand stop but not long enough to stick down too far.

Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Handstop

Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:17 pm

I find it really depends on the handguard and length of the gun.

On my 16" or longer ar's I dont really see a need for one. If i was shooting them more off hand i would lean towards a foregrip style but generally i shoot them off a bipod.

Now my 300blk SBR i have a troy alpha rail which is thin. I run it with a afg. My 458socom i have a large rail (1.5") that is big enough for me to grip the rail and not need anything.

The nice thing about the magpul stuff is its cheap enough i dont mind having it laying around in the parts bin for if i want to use it.

Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next