Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:18 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Kenmore BenchRest Shooting Match 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I went out there on Saturday morning. You don't need to arrive that early unless it takes you forever to setup. I could have shown up at 8:45 and been fine since I'm quick.

Show my Rem 700 .308, Fed 168gr Sierra MatchKing BTHP.

My targets scored, out of 100: 84, 85, 97, 93.

New ammo, and the fact I'm not sighted in for bulls at 200yrds cost me quite a bit at the start. You start with sight-in on the 1st card, the S target. I couldn't see my rounds hitting, though they were all missing. I should have take my spotting scope.

Then, you shoot 2 shots at each target. I shot targets, in order: S, 1, 2, 5, 3, 4. On my first card by the time I got to 3 and 4 I was shooting Kentucky windage/elevation trying to get them to land at the bulls.

Each round, you can shoot at the sight-in target. I didn't realize that, so that square is blank on round 2.

Overall I like the benches and facility. I still need more practice to compete. I got 3rd, which coincidentally is last. Sad we didn't shoot 300 yards.

Pictures in the spoiler as I'm too lazy to resize them and they are giant.
Spoiler: show
Facility
Match 1
Match 2
Match 3
Match 4
Totals

Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm going to take a wild guess and say someone named Ted won. If he wasn't there then it would have been Dennis or Richard.

I shoot with these guys on Tuesday mornings. Richard has a bright blue rifle that looks like it was hand painted in Tijuana :) :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

deadshot2 wrote:
I'm going to take a wild guess and say someone named Ted won. If he wasn't there then it would have been Dennis or Richard.

I shoot with these guys on Tuesday mornings. Richard has a bright blue rifle that looks like it was hand painted in Tijuana :) :)

Ted wasn't there.
Richard was doing load testing and didn't produce score-cards.
Dennis got the best score, but he didn't "Win".
The winners were from the Factory rifle class, the custom rifle guys didn't take places.

I found it interesting that 3 guys were cleaning their rifles between rounds. I've been told that I shouldn't clean my rifle unless the groups start expanding. I think they spent more time cleaning than shooting.

Do they shoot so they can reload, or shoot so they can clean?

Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

snozzberries wrote:
deadshot2 wrote:

Ted wasn't there.
Richard was doing load testing and didn't produce score-cards.
Dennis got the best score, but he didn't "Win".
The winners were from the Factory rifle class, the custom rifle guys didn't take places.

I found it interesting that 3 guys were cleaning their rifles between rounds. I've been told that I shouldn't clean my rifle unless the groups start expanding. I think they spent more time cleaning than shooting.

Do they shoot so they can reload, or shoot so they can clean?

You'll find that BR shooters WILL spend as much time cleaning as they do shooting. Most of them carry two cleaning rods, one with brush and one with patch loop or jag permanently installed so they "don't lose a stroke". With them it's not a matter of waiting until groups open up, by then they just replace a barrel.

Different world. Too bad Ted wasn't there. When he is everyone else just tries to figure out who's going to take Second Place.

At one match he shot a perfect score at 300 yards and 17 of his 20 shots were "X's". At one time or another he's held every title possible in WA State.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:12 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Okay I think I saw Ted. He's about 100, shoots off a shitty old front rest, and piece of carpet cut to the shape of the bench.

These matches are fun. I've started going to the 22 matches. Thanks for the recommendation everybody that told me to go.

Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]