Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:00 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Portland carry question.. 

Reading thru Oregon's rather bizarre carry laws, if you are on the interstate freeway going thru Portland is that the same restrictions as being in Portland on surface streets? Does that question make sense? My fault for not getting off my ass and getting an Oregon CPL....

Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:11 am

If you are in the city of portland then the laws of portland apply to you

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are you asking if the portion of the interstate that passes through Portland is under the control of the city's handgun carry laws? Not sure about your question but, open or concealed handgun carry anywhere in Oregon requires an Oregon CPL.

Μολὼν λαβέ

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly. Also, please forgive my spelling or grammatical errors. If my post doesn't make sense or is not amusing, it's technology's fault and most certainly not operator ɹoɹɹǝ. Thank You

Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lew wrote:
Are you asking if the portion of the interstate that passes through Portland is under the control of the city's handgun carry laws? Not sure about your question but, open or concealed handgun carry anywhere in Oregon requires an Oregon CPL.

Not true. Where OC is allowed a CPL is not required.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showt ... C-Pamphlet

Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
Lew wrote:

Not true. Where OC is allowed a CPL is not required.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showt ... C-Pamphlet

And, unlike WA, that includes your car. Unlicensed open carry of a loaded handgun in a vehicle is legal in OR, as long as you aren't in one of the dozen or so cities that have the OC restriction on their books. (So far, CHL holders are specifically exempted from this silly OC thing in every municipality that has enacted a ban.)

ETA: You could try asking the Oregon Firearms Federation if they have any better answer on the I-5 OC question. Their contact page is here -- http://www.oregonfirearms.org/contact

Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oops...I knew this about open carry too. :peep:

Μολὼν λαβέ

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly. Also, please forgive my spelling or grammatical errors. If my post doesn't make sense or is not amusing, it's technology's fault and most certainly not operator ɹoɹɹǝ. Thank You

Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My understanding is the freeway is treated the same way as city streets. And Portland is the liberal cesspool of Oregon, and give the chance they'd gather every gun owner and try to burn them at the stake

Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:24 pm

Thanks for the answers...J frame and a handful of loose ammo it is.

Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What's your intent?

Meaning are you stopping in Oregon? Portland to visit the sites? Are you just travelling through...

Then how are you carrying? Is it secured in the back, ammo separated and secured separately?

WA States definitions are out the window. In WA State one can transport a firearm and ammo in the same container so long as the gun is not "loaded" - for folks that don't have a CPL. If you have a WA CPL then all is good (loaded).

As you may know Oregon is one of the singular states that doesn't recognize other states licenses for carry. Different laws and definition so be careful.

So back to intent. If you are just driving through - as a law abiding you need to store that firearm in the back, ammo out, not loaded and "secured" *what is secured - again each states has it's own definition.

Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

if you don't have a Oregon cpl.

be like everyone else, stop at the last rest stop before entering and place in trunk unloaded.

Yaki's - last journey

Promote a Growth Mindset. Don't let a fixed mindset not allow change for the better.

pow·er trip - noun - a self-aggrandizing quest for ever-increasing control over others.

Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:51 am

Passing thru , no stops intended. Oddly enough neither my truck or Yukon have a locking glove box or console. Never noticed that until now. I can put one in a suitcase or I believe I can leave one unloaded in plain sight. May just not take one,

Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:01 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unloaded in plain sight should keep you out of trouble in all of OR's no-OC zones.

This list at OFF -- http://www.oregonfirearms.org/chl-central/local-gun-codes -- is probably fairly reliable when it comes to where loaded OC is and isn't allowed (again, that's assuming you don't have a CHL).

Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:53 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I have OR CHL so I haven't paid much attention to this. Sad state of affairs.

One of the items high on my wish list is for Constitutional Carry in all 50 states, clearly defined by SCOTUS.
Controllist politicians who don't want to understand the clear meaning of 2A can STFU forever.

Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]