Let's talk about guns!
Post a reply

Early Gen 1 Glock 17 prices?

Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:21 pm

Can someone explain to me why they are selling on Gunbroker for around $1000, in newish condition and "pre-recall"? Are they considered collectible? Are they sought after as shooters? I don't get the draw? Any Glock freaks care to chime in, feel free. I don't want to bash, nor for anyone else to, I want to know what makes them stand out from the hordes of later Gens that are for sale.

Thanks,
Tony

Re: Early Gen 1 Glock 17 prices?

Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:52 pm

:popcorn:
Ohh... tagged for 'uh... entertainment educational purposes.

Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:16 pm

I don't know but I traded a High Point carbine for a early glock 17 about 4 years ago. I cleaned it up and traded for a nice Sig P229 40 cal with 7 mags.

Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:06 pm

Glockheads. To the ones that have every size in every caliber, they are like picking up a early 1911 that was used in a world war, except the glock didn't have war provinonce. I dont get the appeal but ok.

Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:59 pm

Like everything else quantity and availability......can ya find a $39 mosin anymore???

The 1st gen is also the mystical original of everything polymer so there is that aspect as well

Then there is the diehard glock fan that wants a piece of the original

I owned one as my first gun i purchased shortly after they came out and had lots of money from a fishing career that was treating me well. Would be cool to have but even as a glock fan with many models there really isnt any i can justify a premium for let alone double anything new. I5 has one at $750 which was as laughable as the rest, there is a sucker born every minute

Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:01 pm

Wait until they release a Gen 1 Retro model that sells like hotcakes. lol

Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:33 pm

The early tupperware boxes that held ammo will bring $150 on their own.

Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:21 pm

What toybox said about bringing the plastic apocalypse upon us.

I've always been drawn to Gen 1 G17s. Something about the history of how they changed the landscape of personal defense and LE guns is intriguing.

I wouldn't pay a premium to scratch that itch tho. They aren't steel so who knows if you can put 10,000 rounds through a 30+ year old polymer gun and still have it in one piece.

Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:19 am

I don't know if I would trust a gun as a shooter that had been recalled by the manufacturer because they had a habit of slam firing when trying to chamber a round. The models in question were never fixed by Glock, even though at the time, Glock claimed they had received every gun that was part of the recall.

Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:27 am

Sometimes "new and improved" really do make a difference.

Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:39 pm

People will collect anything and everything. Especially once it's uncommon.
Look at the people who collect shoes, or Legos, or even craptastic Saturday night special type guns.

Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:37 pm

What's a Glock.?... :peep:
Post a reply