Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:10 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 How to move with guns? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like we may be moving out of state. Any experience for how to transport guns, ammo, and sensitive documents?

At the moment, the plan is to fly and ship our car and household goods. Driving would be a major pain, and really don't want to drive that far. It would also be awckward to take a safe into the hotel each night.

Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:12 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi joao best wishes on your upcoming move... There's pretty limited options for transporting your firearms interstate, each with it's own advantages and drawbacks:
- Transport guns and ammo in your own car if driving. This is what I did when moving to Texas. Federal Peaceable Journey laws and the FOPA provide that gun owners can transport their firearms interstate given that the ownership of the guns is legal in the originating and destination state as long as guns are stored inaccessible to the driver separately from their ammunition. However, certain states like CA, NY, and NJ completely ignore the FOPA and are known to arrest gun owners and confiscate their weapons if not in compliance with their state laws. Easiest to simply avoid these states altogether on your route if possible.
- Ship firearms FFL in home state to FFL in destination state. This works only for firearms and is prohibitively expensive if your collection is of any size at all.
- Discuss interstate shipment of firearms with your moving company. Big hazard here is other people unknown to you get to handle your guns introducing likelihood of theft and there is always low likelihood of unintentional/accidental loss by the mover. Plus movers will not ship ammunition or other combustible items. However, this might be best option in your case.

Being unwilling to drive, it's hard to see how you can legally get your ammunition, powder, and primers as well as other combustible items commonly found in your garage to your destination. On the drive, my car was packed with guns, ammo, primer, powders, cleaning supplies, propane tank, and a variety of other minor combustibles. Basically converted my car into a virtual Ford Pinto :bigsmile:

Let's see if other folks come up with some alternatives.

This is all assuming you don't have any NFA firearms. I do seem to remember that ATF requires notification prior to transporting SBR's across state lines. Not an expert here just something to be aware of.

Last edited by GeekWithGuns on Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:42 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds almost cheaper to rent a UHaul and drive it yourself or pay one of us to drive it for you and you pay for plane trip back.
(a.k.a. the transporter, I have no need to know what I'm hauling)

Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How are the rest of your household goods being transported. I moved both to and from Colorado (a Corporate move one way where company paid everything) and just used a moving company. Their procedure for moving firearms was to pack each one separately, record serial numbers, and every time they changed hands from packer to driver they were signed for. This company took moving firearms seriously. When I moved back from Colorado I just loaded my vehicle with the firearms and drove home. When stopping at a motel I just made the stuff in the back of my explorer look like it was just some blankets and pillows, then parked with the vehicle just outside my window.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:10 am
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Check your guns and ammo as required by your airline.

Keep your sensitive documents in a carry on bag and keep it with you at all times.

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:28 am
Profile WWW

I moved from AZ to WA with a company move. The moving company moved the safe with some of the long guns but wouldn't touch the ammo. I ended up selling some ammo, bought a trailer and moved up with all the ammo, handguns and a few rifles I wanted to keep with me. Once here I sold the trailer and am slowly building up the ammo pile. It worked to haul propane tanks and all the other flammible stuff as well as other personal goods we would need between homes. Also had sensitive docs, etc while we waited to move into the new house. I took anything I didn't want stolen into the hotel at night and didn't leave it alone. Trailer had multiple puck style locks and I made sure to have the trailer hitch lock and even had a wheel boot when I parked for the night.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:19 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How many guns?

I mean, you can ship them to yourself.

Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

joao01 wrote:
Looks like we may be moving out of state. Any experience for how to transport guns, ammo, and sensitive documents?

At the moment, the plan is to fly and ship our car and household goods. Driving would be a major pain, and really don't want to drive that far. It would also be awckward to take a safe into the hotel each night.

No carrier will transport ammo. That's likely on you. But if you want to risk it, sneak it into a rented POD. For most guns and ammo, I rented a POD and made sure all my insurance was up to snuff. I didn't sleep well while it was in transit. For the really important stuff, I loaded up the SUV and drove it with me, most in locking metal tool truck boxes. Lots of restless nights in motels, I can tell you that much.

Moving with guns/ammo is a poor experience.

Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

root wrote:
How many guns?

I mean, you can ship them to yourself.

3 rifles, half a dozen pistols...or thereabouts.

Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:29 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

joao01 wrote:

I think I'd just put them in checked baggage when you fly. Buy cases that will hold multiple guns.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
joao01 wrote:

I think I'd just put them in checked baggage when you fly. Buy cases that will hold multiple guns.

That is what I'd do with that amount of guns. And learning the airline's policy front to back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
joao01 wrote:

This is a good one
http://www.skbcases.com/sports/sku.php?cat=16&pid=73

Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I moved here from Boston I packed everything in my Caprice wagon and never let it out of my sight except for a few times when I went to use a rest stop bathroom. I slept in it and most of the time I missed while standing next to it. I had my entire life packed up in that thing. One flat head screw driver and it was gone.

I got here in 60 hours.

Studying for my Liberal Arts degree at Evergreen College.

YouTube taught me, just like everybody else.

Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Approx how far is the move? (I don't need specifics)

I happen to have some time on my hands this summer and may be able to drive to your new locaton for just the cost of fuel and a flight home. thumbsup

For reference, when I've moved in the past- firearms locked in a safe then loaded in a truck. Ammo stored separately. Drove and didn't leave the truck unattended as I was traveling with a partner. We took shifts using the bathroom etc.

Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:27 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Suck it up and drive them

Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next