Switch to full style
Let's talk about guns!
Post a reply

Whatever happened to Discount Gun Sales?

Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:26 pm

I knew Frank back in 2002 when he worked out of his kitchen.
Used to have great deals then.
He bought a range, had 8+ stores now he has one store in Bothell?
I used to stop by the Kirkland location on the way to MS.

Re: Whatever happened to Discount Gun Sales?

Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:43 pm

They closed a bunch of stores because people realized that they were "discount" in name only.

Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:55 pm

One thing people learn when they expand into multiple locations in the same "Metro" area is that you may have 6-8 stores but you may not have 6-8 times the sales as if you had just one. People will drive from miles around if you have good prices. If you have all these stores in the same marketing area you just end up with 6-8 times the expense (Rent, Utilities, Taxes, Etc).

I once heard an expression: "Don't start vast projects with half-vast ideas". Sometimes people don't think their growth plans through.

Also, when you have to hire a bunch of people to run those stores it's a rare occasion that you find people who have the same qualities that made your original "location" as successful as it is/was.

Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:23 pm

Whack prices and whack quality of employees. Good riddance. Learn a thing or three from fed way discount guns. They the real mvp.

Edit: you won't learn about quality of employees at fed way discount actually, they some condescending assholes. Just remembered my last visit.

Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:52 pm

I remember when they opened their store in port orchard. Was excited cause it was super close to my house. I stopped in after it had been open like a month. Spent about 2 minutes in there. Had next to no inventory, prices were high, and the guy working there wasnt friendly at all. It closed pretty soon after and I wasnt suprised at all

Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:59 pm

Guns4Liberty wrote:They closed a bunch of stores because people realized that they were "discount" in name only.

:plusone:

checked pout there Everett Store. Discount in name onyl sums it up pretty good.

Kudo's to Deadhot as well. Maybe two stores would have been good no need for 8 and you made a very good point.

Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:21 pm

They built a reputation on rudeness and smugness. It doesn't go far these days.

Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:58 pm

Brad's guns has the right idea. Great prices, low overhead, and Brad is an awesome guy to deal with.

And Ops is very polite in person. :bigsmile:

Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:35 pm

Brads Gins is top notch. FWDG licks dusty rhino sack

Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:54 pm

Arisaka wrote:Brads Gins is top notch. FWDG licks dusty rhino sack

I have never had any of Brad's Gins, but I do agree about FWDG's..... :bigsmile:

Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:29 am

I visited the Lynnwood location a couple times. I don't recall dealing with rudeness from behind the counter but I can attest to their ridiculously high prices. I even asked the sales guy why their prices were so high lol. This was years ago so I don't remember his answer but I do remember thinking 'what a load of crap' it was. They had a .22 rifle in stock that I wanted for about $150 too much. They wouldn't budge on the price either so I never went back. Ammo, accessories, guns- all overpriced.

Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:11 pm

Arisaka wrote:FWDG licks dusty rhino sack

Made me laugh a work! :cussing:

I love both, probably never will set foot in either one ever again though *sadface*. I look at FWDG like the Soup Nazi. Not just because it's great pricing but the service is condescending...Mo kind of looks like the original Soup Man :bigsmile:

Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:32 pm

sinus211 wrote:Brad's guns has the right idea. Great prices, low overhead, and Brad is an awesome guy to deal with.

A big :plusone: for Brad's Guns. In fact I was so impressed when he handled a private sale transfer when I bought a pistol advertised on this forum I will drive past a whole bunch of other "Stores" (from Marysville) to have him do any transfers for any items I order needing an FFL

To me it's not only worth the hour plus drive, but Brad deserves the business because he is doing it right. BTW, I am "one of those" who usually looks around and ends up buying a couple more items rather than just having a transfer completed.

Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:38 pm

sinus211 wrote:Brad's guns has the right idea. Great prices, low overhead, and Brad is an awesome guy to deal with.

Agree 110% Brad and Andrew are great to deal with. Nice little shop no b.s. and can get you great deals when you have to order something in.

Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:36 pm

I went into the one in Silverdale. On the rack they had a PAP M85. It was priced close to $800, when they were at the time going on sale online for $400 from multiple sources.

I showed the counter guy an online ad, asked if they would price match or come close. Nope. "Can't match their prices with our overhead." What overhead? The store was practically a hole in the wall on Silverdale Way, where a 16 year old could probably easily afford to rent retail space.

Never went back. Store is now closed.

I have gone out of my way to Brad's once to pick up a few AR lowers. Good shop and you can pick up some boating supplies while you're there.
Post a reply