Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:01 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Storage question 

Hi Guys,
i live here in WA and i have to leave for work for few months abroad. I got few guns that i dont want to sell, but just store somewhere. My FFL dealer offered me some of his space to store my gun safe at his place of business if needed for long periods of time. My question is
according to our WA laws, am i permitted to store my firearms at a licensed FFL dealer?
also do you guys know of any places around Seattle that permit the storage of multiple firearms ( regular places dont) ?

Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:00 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

angelusofkl wrote:
Hi Guys,
i live here in WA and i have to leave for work for few months abroad. I got few guns that i dont want to sell, but just store somewhere. My FFL dealer offered me some of his space to store my gun safe at his place of business if needed for long periods of time. My question is
according to our WA laws, am i permitted to store my firearms at a licensed FFL dealer?
also do you guys know of any places around Seattle that permit the storage of multiple firearms ( regular places dont) ?

I am not aware of any law that would prohibit you from storing them at an FFL, and that would probably be your best (and most secure) bet, and pretty cool of the FFL to offer that service. I think West Coast Armory - Bellevue has storage lockers too.

Another option is to get a storage unit. The rental agreement probably says no firearms, but it's not against the law, just against their policy. Pre-pay for as long as you are gone plus a month and make sure you have a person stateside with a key just in case.

Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:04 am
Profile WWW
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Ya, make sure you prepay.
Few years back a guy had his new wife handle the payments for the storage locker.
She was late and after the auction the new owner found the guys ex wife in the freezer.

Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:09 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can always pawn them. It would be a bit more secure than a storage unit. Only problem is you have to transfer them back to yourself.

Or just find a buddy with extra safe space. If you are worried about 594 get a lock box for them and then have him/her store it.

Studying for my Liberal Arts degree at Evergreen College.

YouTube taught me, just like everybody else.

Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:06 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

stompah wrote:
You can always pawn them. It would be a bit more secure than a storage unit. Only problem is you have to transfer them back to yourself.

Or just find a buddy with extra safe space. If you are worried about 594 get a lock box for them and then have him/her store it.

I am sorry Sir, this is the worst advice you can give a gun owner, EVER! Do you realize that you legally sign paper wok stating that if you do not meet the Pawn Shops requirements, the shop reserves the right , legally, to keep and or sell your firearms as they wish and you forfeit everything? You can miss the payment by one fraction of a minute and they can keep your guns legally. There are many gun owners that have lost precious firearms in this manner.

There are times when the situation as it occurs, dictates the course of actions that follow.

"I stand for the National Anthem, always have, always will"

On days like this, I often wonder what Gary Gordon and Randy Shughart would do...

Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:31 am

Thank you guys, for all the help
I am leaning towards my FFL cuz i trust the guy, i just dont know how to put that in to the agreement. Have any of you ever stored firearms at your FFLs? do i keep the gun safe locked or should i let him have access to it?

Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:10 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Pawn rates, fees, storage fees are insane.
4%/mo, plus loan origination fee of 7-10%, $5 storage fee, and $5 additional storage fee for a firearm.

http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=19.60.060

Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:24 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

I've been storing a rifle at my FFL for months now. Of course, it's only because I'm waiting on a tax stamp. But even so, I figure it's at least as safe as it would be with me!

Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just giving him an option, didn't say it was the best one.

Studying for my Liberal Arts degree at Evergreen College.

YouTube taught me, just like everybody else.

Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]