Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:51 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Handgun weapon light Help 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Teach me, please! I have a M&P 45 full size that I am wanting to do some multiple duties; nightstand gun, overnight camping "nightstand", camping carry(OC), OC at shoots etc. I am looking at getting a Kydex holster(my first one) for carrying, and it seems its not terribly tough to get a holster ready for my weapon light.
Ive heard a lot of the arguments for/against weapon lights. I am not sold on them, mostly I think its because I have a flashlight handy and dont have any other handguns with rails.
All that to ask, does it matter what light? What are the big differences? Id be happy with a bang for buck light as Im not an operator or light snob. Keeping in mind while camping and at home I have a flashlight handy. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:01 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes you need a weapon light. Ever try to shoot at night without one? My Streamlight TLR1s has been by far my favorite so far. Great price and really bright. I use the TLR1-HL model on my AR and can easily shoot out to 75 yards on steel in the dark. Weapon lights make shooting at night super fun and accurate.

Divided we fall.

Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:30 am

You have divergent wants, i.e. inside and outside. Light needs would vary somewhat between the two. Being a handgun, ranges of intended use would typically be at shorter ranges. For home defense, do not get a light that is too bright. You will blind yourself with reflections off of walls, mirrors, windows, etc. A lot of people tend to go too bright. Try it yourself with hand held flashlights. Walk around your house in the dark with lights of varying brightness as if searching. You will see what I mean. Then imagine it at o dark thirty, woken up with a fright with constricted pupils then hit with a bright light.

Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tonydec wrote:
You have divergent wants, i.e. inside and outside. Light needs would vary somewhat between the two. Being a handgun, ranges of intended use would typically be at shorter ranges. For home defense, do not get a light that is too bright. You will blind yourself with reflections off of walls, mirrors, windows, etc. A lot of people tend to go too bright. Try it yourself with hand held flashlights. Walk around your house in the dark with lights of varying brightness as if searching. You will see what I mean.

Not over buying a light is a good point. I've been using the streamights for over a year and they go everywhere with me on my guns. Especially in the RV when I work on my rental in the hood. The TLR1 series is plenty of light for outdoors without going overboard for inside duty. ymmv.

Divided we fall.

Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tonydec wrote:
You have divergent wants, i.e. inside and outside. Light needs would vary somewhat between the two. Being a handgun, ranges of intended use would typically be at shorter ranges. For home defense, do not get a light that is too bright. You will blind yourself with reflections off of walls, mirrors, windows, etc. A lot of people tend to go too bright. Try it yourself with hand held flashlights. Walk around your house in the dark with lights of varying brightness as if searching. You will see what I mean. Then imagine it at o dark thirty, woken up with a fright with constricted pupils then hit with a bright light.

Exactly this. One version of the TLR1 (as an example) is something like 300 lumens. Other models are 600 lumens or more. That's great for outdoors, or if you're awake (and have been awake for some time) inside your house. In the middle of the night, with sleepy, dark-adapted eyes, it's just way, way too much. It's even more too much if your walls are light and you're in a hallway, where that white paint is all around you. A lower light level is preferred in those instances, but few weapon lights offer anything but off and high.

Also, consider that it may be necessary to still carry a handheld flashlight, since you will probably want to illuminate some things that you do NOT want to cover. If a neighbor peeks over the fence or a car pulls into your driveway, do you always want to be pointing your gun at them? Usually not. But you probably DO want to put some light on them, either to confirm who they are or simply to see where you're stepping so you don't trip over something (particularly if you have a gun in your hand).

I'm not anti-WML. I have one. But their real-world use does expose some gaps that you should at least consider as you ponder your purchase.

Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:41 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mislabeled wrote:
Tonydec wrote:

Exactly this. One version of the TLR1 (as an example) is something like 300 lumens. Other models are 600 lumens or more. That's great for outdoors, or if you're awake (and have been awake for some time) inside your house. In the middle of the night, with sleepy, dark-adapted eyes, it's just way, way too much. It's even more too much if your walls are light and you're in a hallway, where that white paint is all around you. A lower light level is preferred in those instances, but few weapon lights offer anything but off and high.

Also, consider that it may be necessary to still carry a handheld flashlight, since you will probably want to illuminate some things that you do NOT want to cover. If a neighbor peeks over the fence or a car pulls into your driveway, do you always want to be pointing your gun at them? Usually not. But you probably DO want to put some light on them, either to confirm who they are or simply to see where you're stepping so you don't trip over something (particularly if you have a gun in your hand).

I'm not anti-WML. I have one. But their real-world use does expose some gaps that you should at least consider as you ponder your purchase.

Thanks for the help! I usually have a flashlight with me. Currently one sits on my nightstand and I carry another, so I should be well covered for those times I need one over the WML. The pointing of my weapon is the main argument I have heard and agree with. Also, a BG shooting at the light seems another legitimate reason to carry a flashlight as well. I think a TLR-1 should fit the bill in tandem with my standard flashlight.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:58 am

Jagerbomber35 wrote:
mislabeled wrote:
Tonydec wrote:

Thanks for the help! I usually have a flashlight with me. Currently one sits on my nightstand and I carry another, so I should be well covered for those times I need one over the WML. The pointing of my weapon is the main argument I have heard and agree with. Also, a BG shooting at the light seems another legitimate reason to carry a flashlight as well. I think a TLR-1 should fit the bill in tandem with my standard flashlight.
Ever tried to do a mag change (tactical or regular) in the dark with a hand held light in your off hand?

Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:02 pm
FFL / Dealer

I had issues mag changes with flashlights (issued Surefire 6p lights) till I saw Surefire came out with those Graham Combat rings for the tail caps. I still have weapon lights on all of my firearms but the ring on the tailcap allowed the handheld light to dangle if needed on my finger as I was doing mag changes. Not the slickest or fastest way BUT it keeps you from dropping your crap on the ground.

Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:10 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A wrist lanyard can also make the off-hand flashlight a non-issue. Or just stick it in your mouth. If it works for futzing around with plumbing under the sink, surely it can work in a pinch in a self-defense situation, too.

Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:19 pm

I really like the Streamlight TLR 1. great bang for the buck.

As to brightness... the HL, High Lumen version at 600 lumens instead of the standard isn't really any brighter. It does put out more light but in a wider beam. Great for the backyard. But because there is more light it does bounce off the walls and right back into your eyes. For inside use I'd go with the standard version.

Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:04 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Have both the TLR-1s and the TLR-1HL.
Agree with what has been said above: 1s for inside, 1HL for outside.
Very high quality lights.
Got both of mine for about $100/ea shipped on sale.

Great for pocket carry too.
I'm missing one, have to go look for it.

Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I want a tlr1s for the strobe.
But sunlite also makes some weapon mounting alternatives I'm going to go for as well.

Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All great points here. Keep them coming. :thumbsup2:

Divided we fall.

Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:02 pm

[/quote]Ever tried to do a mag change (tactical or regular) in the dark with a hand held light in your off hand?[/quote]

Yes, hundreds if not thousands of times, practice and live fire, and under stress. Even using the big Streamlights, think D and C cell size. Different techniques for the large lights compared to the small ones, but when practiced becomes second nature. With the small ones, i.e. 6P's and the like, just think of a cigar hold between the pinky and ring finger, very similar and not a whole lot of manipulation. As with everything firearm and tactical related, practice is key.

Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rix86 wrote:
I want a tlr1s for the strobe.
But sunlite also makes some weapon mounting alternatives I'm going to go for as well.

Don't all TLRs strobe?

NRA Certified RSO
SAF/NRA Life Member

Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next