Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:46 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Shipping a pistol???? 

My memory is getting as bad as my old(ing) eyes....so as I get ready to send either just the slide, or a whole pistol, to Novaks in WVA...

Can I personally ship a complete pistol to Novaks in WVA (for new FO sights to compensate for my old(ing) eyes) without going through an FFL?

And can they ship it directly back to me without going through an FFL?

I'd rather ship the whole gun as they can then sight it in and guarantee POA POI....if I send just the slide accuracy is not guaranteed. But clearly it will add $50 to my costs and I'd rather spend the money on ammo.

thanks in advance...

Redcoat3340

Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:42 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Yes, but you need to use a specific carrier and service type. Check UPS and FedEx's website for the most up to date info and it wouldn't hurt to grab a copy of the FFL. CYA.

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA
Firearms Policy Coalition

Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:52 pm
Profile WWW
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

http://www.novaksights.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1209094

They send it back to you Fed Ex Overnight, signature required,.

Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Time to break out the checkbook :bigsmile:

The GCA allows individuals to ship handguns (either the complete firearm or the serial numbered portion of the firearm) directly to a gunsmith for repair or modification. The gunsmith may also ship it directly back to your personal residence once the work is completed. If shipping as a complete gun or the serial numbered receiver you are required to declare that you are shipping a handgun or firearm to the carrier agent.

Individuals may not use the USPS to ship handguns so instead you'll need to go through a common carrier (UPS or Fedex). I've personally always used UPS. Now for the carrier policies and details:
- Firearms may only be shipped from a service depot, not a storefront establishment (e.g. UPS Service Center/Depot)
- Gun to be shipped unloaded with no ammunition
- The outside of the box should not indicate the contents i.e. don't label it as a handgun or firearm
- UPS policy requires overnight shipping for handguns. You can save a little dough by specifying Next Day PM/Saver. This is a stupid carrier policy brought on by employee theft of handguns in transit (thus the no marking rule on the outside of the box)

Also many carrier agents will ask for a copy of the gunsmith's FFL prior to taking the package for shipment. Novak's should readily email you an electronic copy of their FFL that you can print and take to the carrier for verification.

You can save a little dough by making the box small as possible to save on the Next Day costs but don't skimp on the padding. Also on a 1911 you might want to purchase shipping insurance in the very unlikely event of loss, theft, or damage in transit.

Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ask your local FFL what they charge to ship, and transfer fee

25 shipping + 25 transfer = 50.00

ups shipping = 75+

at least if you ship it you don't have to do a BG check.

but you might have to take a day off to sign for it

Yaki's - last journey

Promote a Growth Mindset. Don't let a fixed mindset not allow change for the better.

pow·er trip - noun - a self-aggrandizing quest for ever-increasing control over others.

Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:42 pm

You can but do some math.
If you use UPS or FEDEX it has to go overnight express. That's usually about $85 for a pistol. But then that's all you're paying.

If you use a dealer, most will charge a fee plus the actual shipping. If your dealer uses USPS it will be less, if they only use UPS it will be about $40. So let's say $30 for the store fee, plus the $40 for the shipping. Still a couple bucks ahead but then you'll need to do a background check to get it back, and the dealer may charge a fee for that service too. Some will, some won't.

The only real advantage to having it sent to a dealer (other than maybe saving a little money) is that it's going to a store, where employees are there to receive it. If you have it shipped to your home, you'll need to get the tracking information and be there to sign for it. Even if it's not signature required, I wouldn't want UPS/FEDEX to just leave a pistol on my doorstep.

If you could get it shipped to your work, then it might be the best choice.

Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is no legal reason that I know of that you can't ship a gun for repair using standard UPS or FEDEX at the facility or in a drop box if it fits. I have done it several times. Now if it is lost you might have difficulty with a claim but there is no way for the carrier to know what's in the package if you don't tell them.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:48 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Unicorn wrote:
You can but do some math.
If you use UPS or FEDEX it has to go overnight express. That's usually about $85 for a pistol. But then that's all you're paying.

If you use a dealer, most will charge a fee plus the actual shipping. If your dealer uses USPS it will be less, if they only use UPS it will be about $40. So let's say $30 for the store fee, plus the $40 for the shipping. Still a couple bucks ahead but then you'll need to do a background check to get it back, and the dealer may charge a fee for that service too. Some will, some won't.

The only real advantage to having it sent to a dealer (other than maybe saving a little money) is that it's going to a store, where employees are there to receive it. If you have it shipped to your home, you'll need to get the tracking information and be there to sign for it. Even if it's not signature required, I wouldn't want UPS/FEDEX to just leave a pistol on my doorstep.

If you could get it shipped to your work, then it might be the best choice.
Or have your package held at a hub or UPS store.

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:15 pm
Profile WWW

tenxambition wrote:
There is no legal reason that I know of that you can't ship a gun for repair using standard UPS or FEDEX at the facility or in a drop box if it fits. I have done it several times. Now if it is lost you might have difficulty with a claim but there is no way for the carrier to know what's in the package if you don't tell them.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

US Code, Chapter 44, Section 18, subsection 922 (e)

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-non ... ct-carrier

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE-20 ... sec922.pdf

27 CFR 478.31
https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2012- ... 478-31.pdf

The law that prohibits anyone but a FFL from using the Post Office.
https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/USCODE-20 ... ec1715.pdf

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-non ... al-service

Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

US Code, Chapter 44, Section 18, subsection 922 (e)

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-non ... ct-carrier

Thanks for the links. I am not sure the ATF site is giving good information. If you look at the referenced law, and if I am reading it correctly (disclaimer: I am not an attorney), the requirement for notification of the carrier appears to have an exception for delivery to licensed importers, manufacturers, dealers, or collectors. These are the cases I was referring to. Let me know if you read it that way.

e) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped; except that any passenger who owns or legally possesses a firearm or ammunition being transported aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce may deliver said firearm or ammunition into the custody of the pilot, captain, conductor or operator of such common or contract carrier for the duration of the trip without violating any of the provisions of this chapter. No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm.

(f)(1) It shall be unlawful for any common or contract carrier to transport or deliver in interstate or foreign commerce any firearm or ammunition with knowledge or reasonable cause to
believe that the shipment, transportation, or receipt thereof would be in violation of the provisions of this chapter.

§ 478.31 Delivery by common or contract carrier.

(a) No person shall knowingly deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce to any person other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped: Provided, That any passenger who owns or legally possesses a firearm or ammunition being transported aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce may deliver said firearm or ammunition into the custody of the pilot, captain, conductor or operator of such common or contract carrier for the duration of that trip without violating any provision of this part.

(b) No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container indicating that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm.

(c) No common or contract carrier shall transport or deliver in interstate or foreign commerce any firearm or ammunition with knowledge or reasonable cause to believe that the shipment, transportation, or receipt thereof would be in violation of any provision of this part: Provided, however, That the provisions of this paragraph shall not apply in respect to the transportation of firearms or ammunition in in-bond shipment under Customs laws and regulations.

(d) No common or contract carrier shall knowingly deliver in interstate or foreign commerce any firearm without obtaining written acknowledgement of receipt from the recipient of the package or other container in which there is a firearm: Provided, That this paragraph shall not apply with respect to the return of a firearm to a passenger who places firearms in the carrier's custody for the duration of the trip.
[ 33 FR 18555, Dec. 14, 1968. Redesignated at 40 FR 16385, Apr. 15, 1975, and amended by T.D. ATF-354, 59 FR 7112, Feb. 14, 1994; T.D. ATF-361, 60 FR 10786, Feb. 27, 1995]

Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:49 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I know non licensees are supposed to inform the carrier if there is a firearm in the package, not sure what the penalty is.
Fine, seizure, both, criminal prosecution?

Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:26 pm

Good catch there tenxambition, but the way it's been explained to me (by the ATF... so maybe not 100% accurate) is that the exemptions are when it's a licensee doing the shipping.

This is how the ATF puts it on their Q&A section,

May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm or ammunition, prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm and requires obtaining written acknowledgement of receipt.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a)(5), 922(e) and (f); 27 CFR 478.30 and 478.31]

Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]