Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:25 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Barrel Inserts 

I've looked at the Chiappa X-Caliber system and was wondering if anyone has some real world experience with it?

My thoughts would be that since the replacement inserts are shorter than the actual barrel, it would have the accuracy of a long barrel pistol? And it might actually have worse accuracy than that because after the round leaves the insert barrel it still has to travel down the shotgun barrel for quite a ways. Seems like the gas pressure would allow the bullet to wander within the barrel?

Looks like a very cool idea, just wondering how it is performance wise.

Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DosX wrote:
I've looked at the Chiappa X-Caliber system and was wondering if anyone has some real world experience with it?

My thoughts would be that since the replacement inserts are shorter than the actual barrel, it would have the accuracy of a long barrel pistol? And it might actually have worse accuracy than that because after the round leaves the insert barrel it still has to travel down the shotgun barrel for quite a ways. Seems like the gas pressure would allow the bullet to wander within the barrel?

I don't have an answer for you DosX, but welcome to the forum.

welcomewgo

Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:06 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Accuracy isn't going to be great.
Here's a review.
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/0 ... x-caliber/

Welcome.

Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:13 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

DosX wrote:

Well no one seems to have a problem with the Judge a revolver Taurus makes that shoots 45LC and 410.

That's gotta be at least a 1.5 inch jump.

"Let us Cross the river and sit in the shade of the trees" .....Stonewall Jackson

T. Jefferson "....the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure"

Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:10 pm

WaJim wrote:
Well no one seems to have a problem with the Judge a revolver Taurus makes that shoots 45LC and 410.

Yeah, that's kinda what I'm saying. A 8 inch barrel in a 26 inch shotgun barrel leaves a LOT of room for deflection from gas or whatever. The revolver is almost exactly the same size also.

Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:05 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

WaJim wrote:
DosX wrote:

The difference is that the projectile (or shot) is jumping before it hits the barrel. With the insert the extra space leaves a lot of room for a projectile to start wandering around.

One of the most critical parts of a rifle barrel, if you want good accuracy, is the crown. The bullet should leave the muzzle (crown) with gases escaping evenly around it's circumference. Just like a champagne cork that pops out.

The "Pop" will occur before the end of the barrel and then at the crown it just "fizzes".

In short, accuracy sucks. If I want a long barreled pistol I'll just buy a Model 29 with 10" barrel or an old "Buntline".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]