Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:36 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 How do I tell if my new Magpul fore end is MOE or M-LOK? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is the kit I built it from:

I want to put a bipod on it, but there are no rails. I think I can probably find MOE fittings on Ebay or something if that's what I need, but I really don't know, or how to tell.

The PSA says it's a MOE upper, but Magpul apparently doesn't sell MOE rails any more.

Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:26 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The slots on the side of the handguard are for m-lok accessories. I'm sure there are more slots on the bottom of the rail that are m-lok also.

Divided we fall.

Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/31794 ... inum-black

Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

delliottg wrote:
The PSA says it's a MOE upper, but Magpul apparently doesn't sell MOE rails any more.

Amazon is still a good source for MOE rails. And don't sweat the fact that they are polymer. I've been bouncing the front end of a 17# chassis rifle on my bipod attached to an MOE polymer rail. Hasn't failed after a couple thousand rounds so I should last a few thousand more.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:03 pm

Here's how to make the distinction:

MOE means Magpul Original Equipment. This is a trademark item that Magpul uses to describe their product.

MLOK means Magpul Lock. It is a method of attaching extra items to the firearm. Examples of other methods of attaching items (weapon lights, bipods, grips, etc.) are KEYMOD and pic rail mounts. Hope that helps somewhat.

Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just look for the logo

Yaki's - last journey

Promote a Growth Mindset. Don't let a fixed mindset not allow change for the better.

pow·er trip - noun - a self-aggrandizing quest for ever-increasing control over others.

Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:43 am

OhShoot! wrote:
The slots on the side of the handguard are for m-lok accessories. I'm sure there are more slots on the bottom of the rail that are m-lok also.

The picture looks like the older pre-MLOK slots. The MLOK are a bit wider than the older ones.

Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ops is correct, any M-Lok systems are required to have that logo.

Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As it turns out, if I'd have just taken the damn thing out of the safe and looked, I'd have seen the MOE on the side of the fore end. Anyway, I ordered the right part and what seems to be a decent bipod to go with it. Only problem is, now it soever fit in its gun case.

Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:41 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got the MOE rail & the bipod I ordered from Amazon on Friday, and after figuring out that I needed to retract the delta ring to get the fore arm off, got the MOE rail installed. It was quite amusing getting the hand guard off, it took both me & Rita to do it, the arthritis in my hands wouldn't let me move it far enough with just one hand, and you need the other hand to pop the bottom piece off. So I used both hands to hold down the delta ring while Rita flipped it out, I installed the rail, then we did the reverse procedure to get it back together. Success!

I quite like this bipod, and the MOE rail section fits its Picatinny adapter perfectly, so now all I need to do is find a case that fits it, now that the bipod's attached, it no longer fits in the case I was using.

Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:06 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yea, putting rails on can be fun sometimes. It helps to have a second pair of hands.

Also, all these words... But no pictures of this awesome setup?

Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:56 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

delliottg wrote:
I got the MOE rail & the bipod I ordered from Amazon on Friday, and after figuring out that I needed to retract the delta ring to get the fore arm off, got the MOE rail installed. It was quite amusing getting the hand guard off, it took both me & Rita to do it, the arthritis in my hands wouldn't let me move it far enough with just one hand, and you need the other hand to pop the bottom piece off. So I used both hands to hold down the delta ring while Rita flipped it out, I installed the rail, then we did the reverse procedure to get it back together. Success!

I quite like this bipod, and the MOE rail section fits its Picatinny adapter perfectly, so now all I need to do is find a case that fits it, now that the bipod's attached, it no longer fits in the case I was using.

i use a large set of pliers with rubber coating on the handles to do this. I use the handle of the pliers to grip the ring and pull it down with one hand. Its all about the tricks you employ.

Divided we fall.

Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:21 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OhShoot! wrote:
delliottg wrote:

i use a large set of pliers with rubber coating on the handles to do this. I use the handle of the pliers to grip the ring and pull it down with one hand. Its all about the tricks you employ.

That's a good idea, and I have a set of plumber's slip joint pliers that are almost certainly large enough, but since this is such a rare occurrence (both of our other AR's have quad rails on them), I probably won't bother now that it's done. Unless I have to mount something else down there...

Massivedesign wrote:
Yea, putting rails on can be fun sometimes. It helps to have a second pair of hands.

Also, all these words... But no pictures of this awesome setup?

Actually I'm planning on starting a "Lets see your new $16 Bushnell red dot in use" thread, so I'll take some pictures this evening of the rifle with all it's new toys (including the new sling that's showing up today, so that'll be just in time).

Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:28 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]