Switch to full style
Let's talk about guns!
Post a reply

Gift Gun for FIL

Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:58 pm

My FIL has helped us a ton through our moving process. He's not a bigtime shooter, but has some nice guns and I thought it might be nice to give him one.

He's mostly a pistol guy with a 9mm, .41 Mag, .357 Mag, and a .22LR/.22Mag convertible. I don't want to force him to buy a new caliber if I can help it. He's strong for a guy in his 60s so not too worried about something breaking him. He doesn't hunt.

Here's my list I came up with (with some help from my BIL):

Henry Big Boy .41 Mag rifle
Cimarron Evil Roy Single Action in .357
S&W 3rd gen auto (he has a 6904) in 9mm. Maybe a Chief's Special or 3913?
S&W 39/59 9mm
Keltec PMR30 .22 Mag
NAA 1860 "The Earl" .22 Mag
S&W 29 .44 Mag (yes new caliber but who can hate a Dirty Harry gun?)
Rossi 92 rifle in .357

This isn't a vote thing...just want to see what everyone thinks.

Re: Gift Gun for FIL

Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:05 pm

Springfield D-Day commemorative Garand.

Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:09 pm

If it were me, I'd go with the Henry rifle, although I also like NAA stuff, so The Earl might be fun for him.

While I like and own a number of semi-auto pistols, I'm partial to revolvers, so I would (if this were a vote), reject the semis. I also wouldn't add a caliber to his collection, as I've grown older and grumpier, I've started reducing the number of calibers and would have to think long and hard to add another. With that said, I'm considering getting a .357 revolver (which would add a caliber).

Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:58 am

The Henry Big Boy in .41 mag.

Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:10 am

Personally I'd go for the .357 lever gun.

I have a .357 revolver so having a matching caliber lever gun would be cool to me.

Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:15 am

My main worry with the lever guns is older guys tend to complain about buckhorn sights and their ability to line them up. Winchester 1892 patterns are pretty limited on your optic options, you're looking at a scout scope arrangement over the barrel.

Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:21 am

How about an optics ready pistol? Slap on a reflex sight and older eyes will love it. Check out S&W glock, FN, Kahr and sig

Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:22 am

hkcavalier wrote:My main worry with the lever guns is older guys tend to complain about buckhorn sights and their ability to line them up. Winchester 1892 patterns are pretty limited on your optic options, you're looking at a scout scope arrangement over the barrel.
I have a tang sight on my 30-30. and it folds down for scabbard or gun safe use.

Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:52 pm

Another vote for the NAA Mini, I love all of mine and are a blast to shoot.

If I had to choose a model I would get him the Sidewinder.

Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:58 pm

.22 pistol and a bunch of ammo.

Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:39 pm

PMR30? Only of you hate him. It's a POS.

Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:53 pm

zombie66 wrote:Another vote for the NAA Mini, I love all of mine and are a blast to shoot.

If I had to choose a model I would get him the Sidewinder.

Wait a minute. I shot that NAA mini of yours Jason. Could not hit shit with it at 7 yards.

Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:57 am

Henry Big Boy .41 Mag rifle

If he gets tired of it, I am available.

Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:02 am

Pablo wrote:Henry Big Boy .41 Mag rifle

If he gets tired of it, I am available.

I am kind of leaning this direction myself. I can't see them making them for long, much like the Marlin 1894s in .41.

I noticed the ad on the back of my Firearms News is for Ruger's line of .41s. So manufacturers are trying to build/satisfy some demand. Seems like both Ruger and Henry are the only ones trying to keep the .327M alive as well.

OhShoot! wrote:PMR30? Only of you hate him. It's a POS.

Yeah I have heard they are finicky. I also know the Rossi lever guns are hit and miss quality wise. These are also two of the cheaper options, go figure.

Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:37 pm

I got the Henry Big Boy .41. I'm actually going to stick one of those TRS25s from the deal on it. Old guys have old eyes.
Post a reply