Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:19 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 New CC for the wife 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

os2firefox wrote:
Walther had a recall on a defective hammer block that lets the ppk discharge without pulling the trigger.

Sitting in a holster? Dropped on floor? Racking the slide with muzzle pointed down? Engaging decocker with muzzle in safe direction? I see all kinds of handguns at the range, and like to keep customers safe. So, kinda important...

Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:52 am

I've always wanted a ppk.... just haven't gotten around to finding one. Another gun on the short list that is similar that I would consider is the Sig 232 - nice feel - you give up the safety, but you still have a decocker. Dont' see them around too much anymore...

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pk380
Sr9c
Steyr c models
Etc etc etc

Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:36 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

quantsuff wrote:
os2firefox wrote:
Walther had a recall on a defective hammer block that lets the ppk discharge without pulling the trigger.

Sitting in a holster? Dropped on floor? Racking the slide with muzzle pointed down? Engaging decocker with muzzle in safe direction? I see all kinds of handguns at the range, and like to keep customers safe. So, kinda important...

http://www.waltherarms.com/ccp-recall/
Walther Arms has identified a potential condition in Walther CCP pistols that could potentially cause it to discharge if dropped whether the manual safety is engaged (on) or disengaged (off). The safety of our customers is our paramount concern so we have voluntarily initiated this recall because of the possibility of a drop-fire occurring.

Please do not load or fire your Walther CCP pistol and contact us immediately to arrange to have your pistol upgraded free of charge.

See the link. It shows where to check the pistol to see if it has had the recall repair done. It's a real bummer because my wife could rack the slide easily, but now, after the repair, the trigger drags badly, actually stops as if it was a two stage trigger on a rifle. I haven't decided whether to send it back or just let it go. I'll probably send it back in.

NRA Range Safety Officer
NSSF Member
SAF Defender's Club - Life member
US Navy - 1976-1982

Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:15 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

quantsuff wrote:
funugy wrote:
thanks for the recommendations. I'll give them all a look. Ultimately it is up to her. I know she is picky about the size, safety, and double/single action. All I care about is that she is comfortable with it and carries it.

The bed is fine. The bad thing is that I just bought the mattress a month before the AD. No finger on the trigger, safety was on. Never seen anything like it happen or heard of it happening to someone I knew. Always read about it, or heard a friend of a friend thing. The round didn't even make it through the mattress (it entered at about a 30* angle). So guess using a bed for cover isn't totally a bad idea :rofl9:

I'm diggin what I've seen on the Shield. I wish the bodyguard was double/single action. I think she'd really like that.

Please explain, in detail,how you got an nd with no finger on trigger?

Loaded as I have done countless times before. Safety on, inserted magazine, indexed trigger finger, racked the slide, boom. First thing I did was look at my finger, it was straight and properly indexed as always, safety was now half on, slide was not locked forward but half way closed being held open by the empty shell casing that was swelled in the chamber sticking about 1/2 way out of the chamber, loaded round chamber indicator was now loose and sticking outh the back about 3/8", hammer was forward. I removed the magazine and I dropped it and pistol on the bed, stepped back and took a few breaths and thought things through.

If my finger was on the trigger I'd own up to it and call it an ND. No booger hook engaged.

I didn't know about the recall. The pistol has been to a smith and has been repaired for $150.

Taking the wife to a couple local stores now. I'll update with what we see and prices for input.

Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

funugy wrote:
quantsuff wrote:
funugy wrote:
thanks for the recommendations. I'll give them all a look. Ultimately it is up to her. I know she is picky about the size, safety, and double/single action. All I care about is that she is comfortable with it and carries it.

The bed is fine. The bad thing is that I just bought the mattress a month before the AD. No finger on the trigger, safety was on. Never seen anything like it happen or heard of it happening to someone I knew. Always read about it, or heard a friend of a friend thing. The round didn't even make it through the mattress (it entered at about a 30* angle). So guess using a bed for cover isn't totally a bad idea :rofl9:

I'm diggin what I've seen on the Shield. I wish the bodyguard was double/single action. I think she'd really like that.

Please explain, in detail,how you got an nd with no finger on trigger?

Loaded as I have done countless times before. Safety on, inserted magazine, indexed trigger finger, racked the slide, boom. First thing I did was look at my finger, it was straight and properly indexed as always, safety was now half on, slide was not locked forward but half way closed being held open by the empty shell casing that was swelled in the chamber sticking about 1/2 way out of the chamber, loaded round chamber indicator was now loose and sticking outh the back about 3/8", hammer was forward. I removed the magazine and I dropped it and pistol on the bed, stepped back and took a few breaths and thought things through.

If my finger was on the trigger I'd own up to it and call it an ND. No booger hook engaged.

I didn't know about the recall. The pistol has been to a smith and has been repaired for $150.

Taking the wife to a couple local stores now. I'll update with what we see and prices for input.

Exactly what I needed, since we might see that on the range. Thanks for the follow up!

Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

She has made a decision. She likes the S&W Bodyguard. She shot the Shield and complained about the snappiness of it. She did not care for the Sig or H&K either.

We went to the Skagit Shooting Range in Burlington. For $91 we had unlimited gun rental, 1 box .380, 1 box 9mm, 1 box 40 SW, eyes, ears, 2 targets. Pretty decent range. They don't clean their guns enough as I had about 5 FTE's on the Sig.

In their sales side they had 2 bodyguard available, both with and without the laser. I think I'm gonna spring for the laser just for fun. They had it listed for $450. Does that seem about right? I don't mind spending the money, but I don't wanna find out I coulda saved $100 if I drove another 20 minutes.

Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bodyguard can be had online for 200 without laser and 250 with laser after $50 + ffl+ tax. Locally, i don't know.

All day, ill shoot with my bodyguard. Excellent at teaching trigger finger strength and discipline for accuracy. Laser will show you how much you wiggle when dryfiring. The peoplethat complain about long trigger pulls apparently do not have the skills to be adaptable to new systems.

Sent from my E5803 using Tapatalk

Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

http://palmettostatearmory.com/s-w-body ... 10048.html
$299 -$50 mail in rebate, significantly cheaper even after a transfer fee.

Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

UpDog wrote:
Bodyguard can be had online for 200 without laser and 250 with laser after $50 + ffl+ tax. Locally, i don't know.

All day, ill shoot with my bodyguard. Excellent at teaching trigger finger strength and discipline for accuracy. Laser will show you how much you wiggle when dryfiring. The peoplethat complain about long trigger pulls apparently do not have the skills to be adaptable to new systems.

Sent from my E5803 using Tapatalk
Probably true, old dog here, no new tricks.

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

beckdw wrote:
http://palmettostatearmory.com/s-w-bodyguard-380-w-crimson-trace-laser-10048.html

Wow that is some difference. Have you bought from them before?

Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

funugy wrote:
beckdw wrote:
http://palmettostatearmory.com/s-w-bodyguard-380-w-crimson-trace-laser-10048.html

Wow that is some difference. Have you bought from them before?

gtg. A good company there.

Divided we fall.

Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

^^^THANKS! I'll look into local FFLs to ship to.

What should I expect to pay the ffl? Do they all charge and perform the same duties?

Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

funugy wrote:
^^^THANKS! I'll look into local FFLs to ship to.

What should I expect to pay the ffl? Do they all charge and perform the same duties?

PSA is great. As for FFLs, there is a variety of transfer prices out there. Anywhere from $20 to $100. Call around and find out pricing (over $40 is ridiculous imo). Make sure they know you are having the firearm sent to them, not asking for their face to face 594 transfer price (they can be different). IIRC Skagit range is $40. I could be wrong.
Its possibly that PSA will need a copy of the dealer's FFL but they may already have it on file.

Mon May 01, 2017 8:49 am
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Despite the fact that the decision has been made, others may be looking for information. So...

+1 for the Sig P938. The Sig has the external safety and the recoil is surprisingly light for such a small pistol.

Negative 10 for the Walther P99 and PPQ Series. The aluminum slides are soft and eventually the slide release slot will get rounded and fail to hold the slide back. Disappointing for a supposedly great brand.

Mon May 01, 2017 9:55 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next