Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:33 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 New CC for the wife 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wife loved her Walther PPK. Carried in her purse 90% of the time. I broke it....slam fire...hole in bed...ugh... No one hurt, nerves a little rattled is all.

Well, instead of getting it fixed I got rid of it. I know, shoulda got it fixed. Now she wants a new one. I am thinking about changing it up and getting her something else that is easier to find. What are your suggestions?

Obviously we would check them out, fire, and make sure it is right for her, but I'm looking for some knowledge. She likes the size of the PPK, and needs an external safety. What do you suggest? Should I just find a PPK and keep it simple?

Thanks ~funugy

Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How about a sig sauer 938 or one of the new Springfield XDe's?

Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Walther CCP
S&W Shield on sale at Cabela's $450 - $75 - $75 rebate = $299.99.

Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:37 pm

+1 for the shield. I have heard them going for under 275 with rebate.

Friends don't let friends buy Taurus.

Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:56 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

That's about as good as it gets.
After tax minus rebate my .45 shield was $333.
9mm is about $20-30 cheaper.

I really like the shield.

Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shield. You can operate the slide and load it with the safety engaged. Sorry about the discharge in your bed. Reminds me that I need to wash my sheets. icon_eek

Divided we fall.

Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

might think about a revolver......in a trained persons hand, you seldom hear of a round being squeezed off... Now if you are half awake or startled, it takes a lot more motion of the trigger finger before the round is fired when you have a double action trigger.... you don't need to remember where the safety is, or if it is on. Every one is going to have opinions on this, but here is some food for thought....my girls like revolvers, for simplicity an reliability.

Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

thanks for the recommendations. I'll give them all a look. Ultimately it is up to her. I know she is picky about the size, safety, and double/single action. All I care about is that she is comfortable with it and carries it.

The bed is fine. The bad thing is that I just bought the mattress a month before the AD. No finger on the trigger, safety was on. Never seen anything like it happen or heard of it happening to someone I knew. Always read about it, or heard a friend of a friend thing. The round didn't even make it through the mattress (it entered at about a 30* angle). So guess using a bed for cover isn't totally a bad idea :rofl9:

I'm diggin what I've seen on the Shield. I wish the bodyguard was double/single action. I think she'd really like that.

Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dan10mmman wrote:
might think about a revolver......in a trained persons hand, you seldom hear of a round being squeezed off... Now if you are half awake or startled, it takes a lot more motion of the trigger finger before the round is fired when you have a double action trigger.... you don't need to remember where the safety is, or if it is on. Every one is going to have opinions on this, but here is some food for thought....my girls like revolvers, for simplicity an reliability.

I talked to her about a revolver and she has shot them before, but she just isn't into them for some reason. I've got a buddy that only carries revolvers and she's shot a couple of them, but it has been a while. I think i'll get her to shoot a few again.

Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

http://www.waltherarms.com/handguns/ppk/ppks-22/

Yaki's - last journey

Promote a Growth Mindset. Don't let a fixed mindset not allow change for the better.

pow·er trip - noun - a self-aggrandizing quest for ever-increasing control over others.

Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

funugy wrote:
thanks for the recommendations. I'll give them all a look. Ultimately it is up to her. I know she is picky about the size, safety, and double/single action. All I care about is that she is comfortable with it and carries it.

The bed is fine. The bad thing is that I just bought the mattress a month before the AD. No finger on the trigger, safety was on. Never seen anything like it happen or heard of it happening to someone I knew. Always read about it, or heard a friend of a friend thing. The round didn't even make it through the mattress (it entered at about a 30* angle). So guess using a bed for cover isn't totally a bad idea :rofl9:

I'm diggin what I've seen on the Shield. I wish the bodyguard was double/single action. I think she'd really like that.

Please explain, in detail,how you got an nd with no finger on trigger?

Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

quantsuff wrote:
funugy wrote:

Please explain, in detail,how you got an nd with no finger on trigger?

Same way that the Remington 700 shoots. Finger free.

Divided we fall.

Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Walther had a recall on a defective hammer block that lets the ppk discharge without pulling the trigger.

Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, I started out with a Bodyguard when they first came out. Liked the size and handling, but hated the double action trigger. So, when I could afford it, I got a Colt Mustang. Single action trigger, nice. .380 ammo costs, not so nice. Next up was a Sig 938 in 9mm. Good trigger, good safety, good accuracy, cheaper ammo, I've never looked back. My son has a Kimber Solo striker fired 9mm which is a nice gun too, but I prefer his 1911 style Kimber Micro 9 which is so similar to the Sig 938 that it would just be a matter of personal preference deciding between the two. I think the trigger on the Sig is slightly better and I have been jacked around by the Kimber folks a few times, but that's just me.

So, bottom line, skip the Bodyguard and go straight to one of the other compact nines. If Momma's happy, everybody be happy. Good Luck!

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
Walther CCP
S&W Shield on sale at Cabela's $450 - $75 - $75 rebate = $299.99.

Walther CCP was recalled for drop firing, even with the Safety engaged. After the recall repair, the trigger is now AFU.

NRA Range Safety Officer
NSSF Member
SAF Defender's Club - Life member
US Navy - 1976-1982

Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next