Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:37 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Shipping a pistol back to the manufacturer via FedEx 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ruger sent me a post paid FedEx box to ship my P85 back to them for a factory recall. Can I just drop it at any place that deals with FedEx, or does it need to go to a company store? I know there are some weird rules with regard to shipping a handgun.

What's been your experience?

Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:25 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've always used UPS which requires that you take a handgun to a service depot as the UPS stores and franchises are not allowed to accept firearms. Might be worth a call to Ruger and/or FedEx to clarify on the rules and procedures for shipping via that carrier.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:36 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think you have to ship from a fedex ship center and not an authorized third party.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:36 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

:plusone:
os2firefox wrote:
I think you have to ship from a fedex ship center and not an authorized third party.

Divided we fall.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:49 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just now dropped it off at the Crossroads mall FedEx. They asked no questions, I volunteered no information, got the receipt and walked out. No muss, no fuss.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:59 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just asked this same question last month.
Glad I'm not the only one. :peep:

Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:07 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

os2firefox wrote:

Bingo! I had to ship a 1911 back to Colt and they sent me a label. You have to go to a FedEx shipping hub/center. You will also need "packing material" (Peanuts or bubble wrap) so the gun case doesn't slide around in the FedEx box. In all honesty I think I had to pay $3 for the damn box and another $3 for bubble wrap.
Don't take it to a kinko's because they get freaky (the one at the mall in Federal Way did) because they have to ask you what you are shipping....

Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:26 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Classic wrote:
os2firefox wrote:

Bingo! I had to ship a 1911 back to Colt and they sent me a label. You have to go to a FedEx shipping hub/center. You will also need "packing material" (Peanuts or bubble wrap) so the gun case doesn't slide around in the FedEx box. In all honesty I think I had to pay $3 for the damn box and another $3 for bubble wrap.
Don't take it to a kinko's because they get freaky (the one at the mall in Federal Way did) because they have to ask you what you are shipping....

We have plenty of packing material at home, so we packed it up there in the provided box. All the FedEx lady saw was a small, heavy-ish box that already had a shipping label on it (and no indication it was a firearm, even their shipping address doesn't say Ruger on it. The only thing she did with the box was update the ship date since it was issued a couple of days ago when Ruger first shipped it out. Like I said, pretty painless.

I've been putting this off for literally decades because of the hassle of shipping it back. Ruger's made it pretty painless.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:02 pm
Profile WWW
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

ATF sez: "Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm"

Not sure what would happen if they find out you didn't tell them.
I'd assume for starters that the carrier would deny payment of any insurance claims.

I think a non licensee can still ship a firearm from work if they have a scheduled pickup service with Fed Ex/UPS
I've done that before.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I first got my SW Shield I was an idiot and didn't even look at the gun before buying it. When I got home to open the box the rear sight was missing the white paint on one side. Of course this falls under warranty to I contacted SW.

They gave me a shipping label to print and provided very precise instructions and said by law I needed to tell the shipper that there was a firearm in the box. They required FedEx....

So..... I go to Fedex with my gun already sealed in the box and shipping label on it. The lady asks what i am shipping, I tell her the situation (she does not recognize the Smith and Wesson name) and I say the magic word! "So with that said, I am shipping a firearm for repair" and she immediately drops my box, it slams on the floor and she goes "ahhhhhhh, oh my God, a gun, you mean, a real gun, in this box here?" *points to box on floor*.

She tells me she can't ship that type of thing here, I ask for the manager politely and he comes over. He goes "oh they are usually labeled different instead of just "SW" they usually have more clear labels of the company. Yeah we can ship these".

He takes my box and ships it. Good experience minus the crazy lady who has no idea what a gun is or does!

Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:36 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

My shield was missing some paint on the left sight dot (fell off a couple hours after I brought it home)
I just touched it up with a small nail and some model paint.
How long ago did you get yours? Was it a 45 or 9mm?

One of my buddies went to the Wenatchee post office to mail his semi UZI carbine back for warranty repair.
At first they thought it was a machine gun and everyone from the back came out and they all wanted to hold it and check it out.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tim04 wrote:
When I first got my SW Shield I was an idiot and didn't even look at the gun before buying it. When I got home to open the box the rear sight was missing the white paint on one side. Of course this falls under warranty to I contacted SW.

They gave me a shipping label to print and provided very precise instructions and said by law I needed to tell the shipper that there was a firearm in the box. They required FedEx....

So..... I go to Fedex with my gun already sealed in the box and shipping label on it. The lady asks what i am shipping, I tell her the situation (she does not recognize the Smith and Wesson name) and I say the magic word! "So with that said, I am shipping a firearm for repair" and she immediately drops my box, it slams on the floor and she goes "ahhhhhhh, oh my God, a gun, you mean, a real gun, in this box here?" *points to box on floor*.

She tells me she can't ship that type of thing here, I ask for the manager politely and he comes over. He goes "oh they are usually labeled different instead of just "SW" they usually have more clear labels of the company. Yeah we can ship these".

He takes my box and ships it. Good experience minus the crazy lady who has no idea what a gun is or does!

So, were you required to fill out any separate paperwork because it was a firearm? Or jump through any other hoops?

Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:48 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As instructed by the firearm manufacturer.
I took my boxed up pistol with supplied shipping label to a FedEx hub in Kent.
I told the gentleman behind the counter I was returning a firearm for repair back to the manufacturer.
He said, Ok. Printed out a new label. Asked me if I wanted a drop off receipt. I said yes.
He said "your package should arrive on Thursday " (two days). I said thank you very much and walked out the door.
Not one issue whatsoever

Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is the shipping instructions from American Tactical
See line 5

Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ruger's instructions made no mention of it.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:59 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next