Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Pistol Braces can now legally be "shouldered" 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

http://www.recoilweb.com/reason-prevail ... 27810.html

Quote:
With respect to stabilizing braces, ATF has concluded that attaching the brace to a handgun as a forearm brace does not “make” a short-barreled rifle because in the configuration as submitted to and approved by FATD [Firearms and Ammunition Technology Division], it is not intended to be and cannot comfortably be fired from the shoulder. If, however, the shooter/possessor takes affirmative steps to configure the device for use as a shoulder stock–for example, configuring the brace as to permanently affix it to the end of a buffer tube, (thereby creating a length that has no other purpose than to facilitate its use as a stock), removing the arm-strap, or otherwise undermining its ability to be used as a brace – and then in fact shoots the firearms from the shoulder using the accessory as a shoulder stock that person has objectively “redesigned” the firearm for purposes of the NFA. This conclusion is not based upon the mere fact that the firearm was fired from the shoulder at some point. Therefore, an NFA firearm has not necessarily been made when the device is not re-configured for use as a shoulder stock – even if the attached firearm happens to be fired from the shoulder

Read more: http://www.recoilweb.com/reason-prevail ... z4fEArMv8D

Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quote:
This letter applies solely to pistol arm braces which have been submitted to the ATF FTB branch and have received approval. SB Tactical is the only maker to have received this approval. If you have a non-SB Tactical pistol brace, this ruling does not apply to your brace. Shoulder those at your own risk.

The Right to Buy Weapons Is the Right to Be Free

Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cool. I half think the proliferation of the shouldering myth has been out the community's own fascination of how ass backwards such an interpretation was. I was always doubtful that the atf cares, and the letter dies go on to clarify that interpretation was never how the at saw it.

Last edited by PinSniper on Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:46 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

This is really awesome news. Finally, a small amount of sanity had been restored!

One bit of the article to note:

Quote:
If, however, the shooter/possessor takes affirmative steps to configure the device for use as a shoulder stock–for example, configuring the brace as to permanently affix it to the end of a buffer tube, (thereby creating a length that has no other purpose than to facilitate its use as a stock), removing the arm-strap, or otherwise undermining its ability to be used as a brace – and then in fact shoots the firearms from the shoulder using the accessory as a shoulder stock that person has objectively “redesigned” the firearm for purposes of the NFA.

Read more: http://www.recoilweb.com/reason-prevail ... z4fEKvOFjU

So ... for those with braces that are blocked in an extended position out on a buffer tube, you may still have an issue with those.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My concern is that they will use this as a means to reclassify the pistol brace as a stock.

In other words, no one would shouldering it because the batfe told them not to. Now that the batfe says that you can shoulder it, there's nothing to say then they won't go back and say that this device was designed to be shouldered, which is why so many people are buying it and using it on their shoulder.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The length issue is a concern as well. The KAK blade tube is adjustable for length, so by the literal interpretation in the aft most position. Is it then a "stock?".

The KAK brace was submitted to the ATF for approval, so how is it someone said only the SD has been approved??

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:53 pm

The KAK brace is as adjustable for length as a savage bold action barrel (i.e. only if you have the right tools).

Glad to see they aren't wasting their time with interpretations that probably wouldn't have held up in court anyway.

Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sreyemj wrote:
The KAK brace is as adjustable for length as a savage bold action barrel (i.e. only if you have the right tools).

Glad to see they aren't wasting their time with interpretations that probably wouldn't have held up in court anyway.

All it takes to adjust for length is an Allen key and indexing to one of the 12 detent positions on the tube.

https://www.kakindustry.com/shockwave/shockwave-tube

What's so hard about that? :popcorn:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:18 pm

usrifle wrote:

All it takes to adjust for length is an Allen key and indexing to one of the 12 detent positions on the tube.

Nothing, except there seems to be three levels of movement in the ATF's murkey interpretation:

-Adjustable w/o tools
-Adjustable w/tools like an Allen wrench
-Permanently fixed in place with a blind pin.

Interestingly, they often want one end of a barrel to be fixed with a blind welded pin (i.e. the flash hider) but the receiver end does not have to be even though a 16" barrel on some firearms could be screwed in to create an illegal SBR (although the bolt would no longer fit).

My point is that the ATFs interpretation of "the rules" and whether the KAK brace is considered adjustable with an Allen wrench may be somewhat arbitrary, and it would be nice to see them provide as much clarity as possible especially for a product class that has become very popular.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:50 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good. I guess.

To me, it's just more and more proof that guns laws are quite nonsensical.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:30 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:
Good. I guess.

To me, it's just more and more proof that guns laws are quite nonsensical.

Right? If they can't properly and realistically define the law, and the impact the law has, is it really just to be a law?

Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:19 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I might have shouldered one of those in the past and might shoulder one of those in the future.
Doesn't the ATF have better things to do?

Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:40 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"BATF - We waffle more than the International House of Pancakes."

Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:36 am

usrifle wrote:
sreyemj wrote:

You can even legally have pistol braces that are adjustable without tools as long as it's on a proproetary buffer tube that can't accept a stock, like the SBPDW or Tailhook Mod 2.

https://www.sb-tactical.com/product/sbpdw/

http://www.gearheadworks.com/index.php? ... ucts_id=25

Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:01 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mine isn't on a buffer tube, but it is on a side folder kit. Please guv'nah if it pleases the crown may I shoulder me AK pistol?

Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next