Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:30 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Any body using helmet or rifle mounted night vision devices? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If anybody else is using night vision, what do you have. Any questions about my equipment? Anybody interested enough for pictures?

So I have 3 AN PVS-14s, and 2 weapon mounted night vision scopes.
I have one older PVS-14 with a green gen 3 auto gated tube of unknown origin. My other 2 PVS-14s are new L3 filmless autogated White Phosphor tubes, and are pretty much as good as it gets right now.

I can ride my quad full speed up and down my logging roads with no illumination at all. I use infrared lights to light up coyote eyes. The PVS-14s can be mounted on your non dominant eye, leaving your dominant eye to pull a rifle up to. Or they can be mounted on a rifle also, behind a Eoech or Aimpoint for instance.

My first scope is an older gen 3 non gated tube Python 3X scope. I've had it a long time. I bought it to deal with a beaver infestation.
It has an impressive history and is responsible for the deaths of many beavers. I had it mounted on a shotgun. #4 buckshot being the preferred load. It is a large heavy, very reliable device.

I recently bought a used Pulsar N550 Digisight Night Vision Scope. It's a older digital night vision scope. It uses the same technology as game camera. I have it mounted on an AR15. It has killed more than it's share of coyotes in the last year.
This scope is a great entry level night vision scope.

Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Where did you get them? I want a PVS 14 so bad. I NEED night vision in my life!!

Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd like to see pics, NV would be a nice thing to have but i cringe at the cost of decent equipment and really don't know much about it.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Soldier_Citizen wrote:
Where did you get them? I want a PVS 14 so bad. I NEED night vision in my life!!

First one was bought used with a helmet and all the other goodies in the night vision equipment exchange on another forum.
The second one I bought new and complete.
The third one I bought the tube and built it. A good tube is the expensive part of a PVS-14.

PVS-7s are less money, but are less versatile also.

Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm running a ATN X-Sight Ii on a 300BLK AR15. Waiting for the Pulsar Trail to get here. Also have a Leupold LTO Tracker.

Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How do you feel about the white phosphor as compared to the traditional green? I've been considering a night vision purchase lately and the white phosphor looked interesting. Is it like viewing the world in black and white?

Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:05 pm

Tagged for further interest.

Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Olympia173 wrote:
How do you feel about the white phosphor as compared to the traditional green? I've been considering a night vision purchase lately and the white phosphor looked interesting. Is it like viewing the world in black and white?

Yes, pretty much. And the new filmless tubes have previously unheard of specs. I'll take some pictures trough it as soon as it gets dark and post them. Regular thin filmed green will blow you away, and white phosphor is better yet in my opinion.

Pictures in about a hour.

Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some of my equipment.

Tonight, 10PM 3 days before the new moon. Farthest trees at end of road 150 yards. Filmless WPT

Same view with 3x and WPT

Same view with 3x and IR illumination, WPT

IR illumination, WPT

Same view 3x and IR illumination green gen 3 thin filmed.

Same view 3x gen 3 scope with illumination

So the WPT really excels at low light without illumination in my opinion.

Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

[emoji867]I hate you so much right now! I've been eyeing the dual tube setup from TNVC, I guess I'll have to spent the extra money now on the WPT option

Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:53 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Daaaaaaamn that looks good!! :bow:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:46 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Peeper

Glad you don't live in Shelton

Yaki's - last journey

Promote a Growth Mindset. Don't let a fixed mindset not allow change for the better.

pow·er trip - noun - a self-aggrandizing quest for ever-increasing control over others.

Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:06 am

badclam wrote:
If anybody else is using night vision, what do you have. Any questions about my equipment? Anybody interested enough for pictures?

I have one older PVS-14 with a green gen 3 auto gated tube of unknown origin. My other 2 PVS-14s are new L3 filmless autogated White Phosphor tubes, and are pretty much as good as it gets right now.

I can ride my quad full speed up and down my logging roads with no illumination at all. I use infrared lights to light up coyote eyes. The PVS-14s can be mounted on your non dominant eye, leaving your dominant eye to pull a rifle up to. Or they can be mounted on a rifle also, behind a Eoech or Aimpoint for instance.

My first scope is an older gen 3 non gated tube Python 3X scope. I've had it a long time. I bought it to deal with a beaver infestation.
It has an impressive history and is responsible for the deaths of many beavers. I had it mounted on a shotgun. #4 buckshot being the preferred load. It is a large heavy, very reliable device.

I recently bought a used Pulsar N550 Digisight Night Vision Scope. It's a older digital night vision scope. It uses the same technology as game camera. I have it mounted on an AR15. It has killed more than it's share of coyotes in the last year.

Is this the L3 PVS you have? What is a reputable place to get one? I have been considering one for a long time, but just couldn't stomach the cost. Those pic of the WP though may have swayed me...

https://www.ultimatenightvision.com/L3- ... s-14uw.htm

Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

KnuckleHead wrote:
badclam wrote:

Is this the L3 PVS you have? What is a reputable place to get one? I have been considering one for a long time, but just couldn't stomach the cost. Those pic of the WP though may have swayed me...

https://www.ultimatenightvision.com/L3- ... s-14uw.htm
Night vision devices has a 10 year warranty and a good selection of tubes and grades. IMHO. That is where I got mine. https://nvdevices.com/

Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:33 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would love to get a good bump helmet and mounted NV for SAR. But that is some expensive tech.

Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next