Switch to full style
Let's talk about guns!
Post a reply

Ruger No. 1 rifles

Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:01 pm

It may be a bit out of character for most of this group, but..

Anyone have experience or other feedback on these? I've had an itch for one for years, might need to scratch it soon.
They came in a metric buttload of calibers, I probably want something 30 cal or less. I reload so an oddball caliber is not a problem.

It will be a range toy and safe decoration. Any thoughts or perhaps leads on one for sale?

Re: Ruger No. 1 rifles

Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:07 pm

I'm with you... These things have had a grip on me for awhile too.
I've seen a few at the Centralia Gun Show recently. Didn't check the caliber, but I will next time. They are out of my budget unless my wife leaves her purse within reach and turns her back for 5 seconds until I finish building the house.

Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:15 pm

This place had 4 last time i was in a months ago. two were stainless limited runs and were over 4k each. The other two were a little above 1k. Don't remember much about them.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Penin ... 8558?hl=en

Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:27 pm

I've had a handful of them. I really like the idea, and the looks of them, but it seems once I have one, I loose interest pretty quick. They are kinda big and clunky. They are also hit or miss in the accuracy department.

Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:39 pm

For a range rifle they are fine. If you are going to lug it around hunting, they are too heavy for what they are. I got one when my son was young, thinking the single shot would be safer and emphasize the importance of shot placement. All he did was whine that it was too heavy. One day I said fine and swapped rifles with him. Guess what? That Ruger #1 in .243 was tooooo heavy!

Had one in 6mm Rem that was a cloverleaf shooter.

Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:48 pm

Interested in this thread. Been lusting after one for years. A 45-70 has been towards the top of my list for that time. Damn it Guntrader(may have been Stokes I talked with a couple years back about them), why couldn't you of had one in that caliber!

Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:58 pm

I have a mint Ruger #1 Tropical in .458 Win Mag I'd be willing to sell. :thumbsup2:
Has Leupold FX-II 4X32 scope, quick release rings, and nice leather sling.
Beautiful wood.

Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:05 pm

Jagerbomber35 wrote:Interested in this thread. Been lusting after one for years. A 45-70 has been towards the top of my list for that time. Damn it Guntrader(may have been Stokes I talked with a couple years back about them), why couldn't you of had one in that caliber!

I just saw one at the last WAC show... it was in .358win....
A buddy's dad has one in .22-250... it is a tack driver.

Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:36 am

I have a .300 Win Mag #1. AWESONE gun. Truly the only ambidextrous rifle out there. Throws the shell about 8-10 feet to your rear as they eject. Classic lines and it looks like it belongs on an African safari. 3 of my friends shoot mine and went out and bought their own. PM me if you want specifics.

Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:19 pm

Guntrader wrote:I have a mint Ruger #1 Tropical in .458 Win Mag I'd be willing to sell. :thumbsup2:
Beautiful wood.

Tempting, but my shoulder started hurting just thinking about it icon_eek

Seriously, it sounds great, but I'm focusing on a varmint caliber to have a long range, flat shooting plinker.

But ummm, what are you asking? :bigsmile:

I'll start haunting the gun shows, a nice one already scoped would be ideal for me.

Just saw that there is a gun show in my new home town of Lynden tomorrow, I'm there...

Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:30 pm

It's fun on camping trips. Few rounds can fell a small tree.
Kids love shooting it, Limbsaver recoil pad,
Felt recoil is a lot less than my Rem 700 .375 H&H with a Pachmayer Decelerator, or .458 Whitworth with stock rubber.
Also have some ammo and dies.
PM me if you're serious about buying.

Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:13 pm

Guntrader wrote:I have a mint Ruger #1 Tropical in .458 Win Mag I'd be willing to sell. :thumbsup2:
Beautiful wood.

I have that rifle also. Beautiful rifle I bought from my bother. I loaded up some 600 grain solid projectile loads, and was putting small caves in a rock wall with it. It also left me with a sore shoulder for a week. With no muzzle break, and high end loads, it was the most recoil energy I have ever experienced. My own fault.
They're built like tanks. Look at any reloading book at the 45/70 offerings. Ruger #1 gets it's own spot at the top of the heap in most books.

I'm keeping mine for if I ever draw a moose tag, get to hunt a brown bear, or if I need to breach a dam.

Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:05 am

Jagerbomber35 wrote:Interested in this thread. Been lusting after one for years. A 45-70 has been towards the top of my list for that time. Damn it Guntrader(may have been Stokes I talked with a couple years back about them), why couldn't you of had one in that caliber!

Boerner Firearms in Gorst has a #1 Sporter in 45-70, very clean and priced at $895. The gun came into the store as part of a Ruger collection from the elderly owner.

Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:23 pm

The Holy Grail of Ruger #1's is a 1H Tropical in 45/70.
They only made them in 1976 and not very many of them.
Anything below $3,000 for a nice one is a decent price.

They did make a #1 Medium Sporter and a #3 in 45/70 but they don't have the safari style of the 1H.

The #1 Falling Block action is one of the strongest ever built, and similar to the breach block used on modern tanks.
Not bad for a casting. Hahahaha

"Lenard Brownell, commenting on his work at Ruger, said of the No. 1: "There was never any question about the strength of the action. I remember, in testing it, how much trouble I had trying to tear it up. In fact, I never did manage to blow one apart."

The accuracy problems were usually with both the older and lighter barreled models.
Something about the hammer spring sending a big vibration down the barrel.

I've only owned #1's in safari calibers and have never had any accuracy problems.

Now THAT's a barrel!
1998 Ruger Number 1H Tropical .458 Win Mag
Leupold FX II 4X33 with long QD levers.

Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:48 pm

Watched a guy put 5 or 6 rounds in one ragged hole at 200 yards with one. Not sure the caliber, but I think it was one of the win mags. Holy fucking shit loud.
Oh.... and it was a goddamn gorgeous rifle as well.
Post a reply