Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:52 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Ruger No. 1 rifles 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There were two No1's at the Lynden Gun Show this weekend.

A nice, but showing field experience 1B in 270 and and a pristine , no marks 1B in 243.

$700 for the 270 with a Simmons scope (value neutral IMO) and a leather sling.

$800 for the 243 bare, with the factory rings.

I came very close to buying the 243...and might yet regret not getting it.

But, My head right now is in a 22-250 in 1B or 1V to work up some of those long range cloverleaf groups. My only hunting is the ocasional varmit/predator session.

Guntrader's 458 Dam-buster is tempting, bit I'm thinking I'd get a lot more range time with a small caliber.

Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:04 pm

Guntrader wrote:
The Holy Grail of Ruger #1's is a 1H Tropical in 45/70.
They only made them in 1976 and not very many of them.
Anything below $3,000 for a nice one is a decent price.

They did make a #1 Medium Sporter and a #3 in 45/70 but they don't have the safari style of the 1H.

The #1 Falling Block action is one of the strongest ever built, and similar to the breach block used on modern tanks.
Not bad for a casting. Hahahaha

"Lenard Brownell, commenting on his work at Ruger, said of the No. 1: "There was never any question about the strength of the action. I remember, in testing it, how much trouble I had trying to tear it up. In fact, I never did manage to blow one apart."

The accuracy problems were usually with both the older and lighter barreled models.
Something about the hammer spring sending a big vibration down the barrel.

I've only owned #1's in safari calibers and have never had any accuracy problems.

Now THAT's a barrel!
1998 Ruger Number 1H Tropical .458 Win Mag
Leupold FX II 4X33 with long QD levers.
And you have the double set back rings too.

I have shot 18 rounds of .300 Win mag in 1 day at the range. Can not state how awesome these guns are!

Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:29 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have wanted a No.3 in .44 mag for a while now.....I may have a chance at a No. 1 in .300 Win Mag in the coming future

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:33 pm
Profile WWW
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Incredibly strong, simple action.
Ruger's flagship premium rifle.
Only made in limited calibers these days, change every year,

Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:48 pm

I knew a guy that was in to No. 1's. There are some tricks for getting them to shoot like they should, something to do with the forend if I remember right. Definitely worth looking into if you end up with one of the less accurate ones.

Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hear guys load up .45/70 VERY hot for #1s. Like, .458 Winchester Special hot. I'd love a #1, but having a less capable .45/70 already kills the appeal a little. I wouldn't want to load one of those overspec monsters in my 1895.

It's pretty much the only single shot rifle that piques my interest though. Maybe a .375 or older oddball like 7x57 Mauser.

Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:01 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I had seven 45/70's at the time, wanted to go bigger and create a safari rifle collection.
First acquisitions were a pair of No. 1H's in .375 H&H and .458 Win Mag.
Marlin Guide Gun will take you 80% of the way to .458 WM.
I have some hot 45/70 hard cast bear loads that made me say 'OW!' every time.

Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:21 pm

Be careful of when it was made. The early ones used a very nice barrel, I think a Dawson. Then Ruger switched to Wilson barrels that weren't nearly so precise. Very hit and miss when it came to accuracy. They started doing them only in house and they became nice rifles again. I think the change to less consistent barrels was in rifles that had a prefix of 130, and I don't remember the end. You'll also find reference to red pad and black pad, and that can be a clue, but there was some crossover there too. Sometime in the mid 80s I think is when they had their bad period.
It can be the difference between a rifle worth over $800 and one worth half that to someone who has done their research since it's a bit of a gamble unless the seller allows it to be test fired for group.
I just looked this up like two days ago and I've forgotten already.

Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:21 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

That is excellent helpful info. Thank you kindly sir. :pray:

Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:18 am

PMB wrote:
That is excellent helpful info. Thank you kindly sir. :pray:
Or maybe you just need to shoot all our #1 and make up your own mind. It is a good excise to break out my hunting rifle during the non hunting times of the year.

Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:21 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

^I haven't had the privilege of shooting one of those beauties yet.
I'm bringing some toys up to the Clean and Shoot on the 20th of next month. Any Ruger #1's making the trip? :bigsmile:

Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:58 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sreyemj wrote:
I knew a guy that was in to No. 1's. There are some tricks for getting them to shoot like they should, something to do with the forend if I remember right. Definitely worth looking into if you end up with one of the less accurate ones.

I've built a couple custom #1 rifles for my previous boss, and have one of my own in 22 Hornet. My Hornet took quite a bit of tuning to get it to shoot well, but is an absolute tack driver now.

A set screw in the fore-end hanger is a common tuning trick that works well. There is (or was?) an aftermarket device to do this, or a good machinist can do it. I did it on mine by welding a nub to the end of the hanger and tapping that for the screw.

Bedding the stock and fore-end can help, although it's not a beginner bedding job.

Triggers on these can be tricky to do well, but can be made pretty nice. IIRC the trigger in my Hornet is around 2 lb with no perceptible creep. Along with the trigger job, lightening the hammer improves lock time, either by modifying the stock hammer or buying a skeletonized aftermarket piece.

The ejector system can be tuned to either eject or just extract. I tuned mine to extract and leave the empty on the receiver, since I load my own ammo and it's not a dangerous game rifle.

Overall these are a pretty neat rifle with classic styling. The short actions are nice for having longer barrels in the same OAL compared to a bolt action.

Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2