Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:29 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Looking For Recommendations For a Good 12ga Slug Optic.  
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Question for y'all. I just purchased a Remy 870 with a fully rifled, cantilevered slug barrel for hunting deer. My In-Laws own 180 acres of forested land in the Columbia River Gorge. Problem is, the Game Management Unit that their land lies in has a firearm restriction. No rifles allowed. During modern firearm season, you are allowed to use either a bow, crossbow, muzzleloader, pistol, or shotgun. Their land is literally crawling with game. I went with the shotgun option. I need to buy a scope for it. Any recommendations for a good shotgun slug optic that will endure the recoil of a 12ga slug? I'm looking at the Nikon Slughunter, but it has really mixed reviews.

Thanks.

Here's a pic of the make/model that I bought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

whats your budget?

And the slughunter looks like a 3-9x is that right? why do you need a 3-9x on a 12ga slug gun?

Spoiler: show
"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

"The right of self defence is the first law of nature: in most governments it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest limits possible. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any colour or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction." - St. George Tucker

A careful definition of words would destroy half the agenda of the political left and scrutinizing evidence would destroy the other half. - Thomas Sowell

"To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow...

For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding." - Jeff Snyder

Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys. It realizes the ancient dream of the Jovian thunderbolt, and as such it is the embodiment of personal power. For this reason it exercises a curious influence over the minds of most men, and in its best examples it constitutes an object of affection unmatched by any other inanimate object.

Jeff Cooper
1997 The Art of the Rifle Page 1.

SUGGEST CASE BE SUBMITTED ON APPELLANT'S BRIEF. UNABLE TO OBTAIN ANY MONEY FROM CLIENTS TO BE PRESENT & ARGUE BRIEF.

The defense attorney's telegram to the clerk of the Supreme Court, March 29, 1939, in re United States. v. Miller.

You don't need to go to Law School to understand the constitutional implications of that.

“You can’t cut the throat of every cocksucker whose character it would improve.”
cityslicker wrote:
I don't want to be told that I can't remove the tree by some tree-hugging pole smoker from the eat-a-dick foundation/Olympia/King County.

Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jdhbulseye wrote:
whats your budget?

And the slughunter looks like a 3-9x is that right? why do you need a 3-9x on a 12ga slug gun?

Thinking about $250. I don't necessarily need a 9 power optic, but that one is supposedly designed for shotgun use. The reviews are either great or deplorable.

Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:22 pm

Vortex sparc or venom. If you are open to a red dot.

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A red dot would be perfect for that slug gun. 12 gauge slugs pretty much have the trajectory of a thrown rock so you ought not to need magnification in an optic for it.

"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

"The right of self defence is the first law of nature: in most governments it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest limits possible. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any colour or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction." - St. George Tucker

A careful definition of words would destroy half the agenda of the political left and scrutinizing evidence would destroy the other half. - Thomas Sowell

"To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow...

For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding." - Jeff Snyder

Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys. It realizes the ancient dream of the Jovian thunderbolt, and as such it is the embodiment of personal power. For this reason it exercises a curious influence over the minds of most men, and in its best examples it constitutes an object of affection unmatched by any other inanimate object.

Jeff Cooper
1997 The Art of the Rifle Page 1.

SUGGEST CASE BE SUBMITTED ON APPELLANT'S BRIEF. UNABLE TO OBTAIN ANY MONEY FROM CLIENTS TO BE PRESENT & ARGUE BRIEF.

The defense attorney's telegram to the clerk of the Supreme Court, March 29, 1939, in re United States. v. Miller.

You don't need to go to Law School to understand the constitutional implications of that.

“You can’t cut the throat of every cocksucker whose character it would improve.”
cityslicker wrote:
I don't want to be told that I can't remove the tree by some tree-hugging pole smoker from the eat-a-dick foundation/Olympia/King County.

Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have an older Bushnell 1.75-4 shotgun scope gathering dust that I'll give you. I bought it around 2000, mounted it, but never hunted with it. It has light ring marks, but otherwise perfect. I can post a pic if you want.
This is a newer similar model. The model # on mine is 73-1421.
http://bushnell.com/hunting/rifle-scope ... -x-reticle

Specs on my model (not available now)
http://www.opticsplanet.com/bushnell-17 ... rophy.html

Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jdhbulseye wrote:
A red dot would be perfect for that slug gun. 12 gauge slugs pretty much have the trajectory of a thrown rock so you ought not to need magnification in an optic for it.

Can't use red dots/Eotechs. My astigmatism doesn't allow it. With the fully rifled barrel, I should be able to throw a saboted slug 200yds accurately.

Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

cruffler wrote:
I have an older Bushnell 1.75-4 shotgun scope gathering dust that I'll give you. I bought it around 2000, mounted it, but never hunted with it. It has light ring marks, but otherwise perfect. I can post a pic if you want.
This is a newer similar model. The model # on mine is 73-1421.
http://bushnell.com/hunting/rifle-scope ... -x-reticle

Specs on my model (not available now)
http://www.opticsplanet.com/bushnell-17 ... rophy.html

That's very generous. Thank you. I may just take you up on that offer.

Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:56 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Red ring. Awesome sights.

Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:23 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

vortex razor looks sharp especially with bad eyes.

not all red dots use the same old tech like L3 Optics

Yaki's - last journey

Promote a Growth Mindset. Don't let a fixed mindset not allow change for the better.

pow·er trip - noun - a self-aggrandizing quest for ever-increasing control over others.

Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ops wrote:
vortex razor looks sharp especially with bad eyes.

not all red dots use the same old tech like L3 Optics

A Razor is just a tad out of budget for me.

Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:20 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I'd go with a 1-4X with lighted reticle.

Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Breck great looking gun, should be a lot of fun dialing in slugs at the range as well as a great game gun

Did a bit of digging around on Optics Planet and found a couple options there within your budget:
http://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-vx-1-shotgun-muzzleloader-1-4x20mm-riflescope.html

if a bit more magnification is desired then:
http://www.opticsplanet.com/nikon-riflescope-prostaff-2-7x32.html
http://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold-vx-i-2-7x33mm-shotgun-rifle-scope.html

Me thinks a scope is the only way to go on a fully rifled barrel. Even at 50 yards a front bead or even a red dot can obscure quite a bit of target and not really conducive to testing the group sizes of different slugs when you're figuring out which ammo has best performance in your particular gun.

Should be a great gun for trying sabot slugs which are supposed to be excellent in fully rifled barrels
Enjoy

Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:24 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

whoops. meant to send PM.

Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]