Switch to full style
Let's talk about guns!
Post a reply

muzzle brake install

Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:52 pm

i am looking at putting a muzzle brake on my 308 bolt gun and was looking at some the options for timing. Some people say crush washers are an absolute no, with that said there has to be a million rifles out there running a crush washer with no problem. should i use shims, lock nut, crush washer. Savage 10 308 and installing a Fortis RED brake for info. Tell me i am thinking too much into this

Re: muzzle brake install

Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:16 pm

I've never had a problem with crush washers. I only switched to using shims since getting into suppressors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:43 pm

Shims like this are cheap and work well. Or just a cheap peel washer works. However its hard to to go back if you fuck up a peel washer.
Gemtech Precision Muzzle Device Alignment Shim Set For Threaded Rifle Barrels (1/2-28TPI) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KA0P0Y6/re ... 2ybQMA0NN6

Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:50 pm

Crush washers are fine, cheap, and easy. IF you are not going to ever use that muzzle device to mount a silencer. If so, you'll want to use peel washers or shims. Crush washers have the chance of not putting your muzzle device on evenly so it could be slightly tilted. Not a big deal for a 1.5 inch flash hider with a pretty big hole, but could be with a 8 to 14 inch silencer with a hole not too much larger than your bore. So it could lead to baffle or end cap strikes.

Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:11 am

I just use the washer that comes with the muzzle. If it doesn't line up lay some sandpaper on the table and take some material off till it's gtg.
Post a reply