Switch to full style
Let's talk about guns!
Post a reply

Oil Can silencer!!! Anyone try this???

Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:03 pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7t_pcWPdSDs

Re: Oil Can silencer!!! Anyone try this???

Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:05 pm

This is SOOOO 5 years ago. LOL. You can buy the adapters all over the place and actually do a form 1 on them and make them legal suppressors.

Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:11 pm

I believe $25 to replace the "can" when it wears out. Still gotta go through the whole $200 tax stamp process.

Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:30 am

but the real question is, does this actually reduce sound as shown in the video? I think the video has been doctored, there is no way you could get that much suppression from an oil filter, it has no baffles, it's just one big echo chamber.

Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:32 am

TINCANBANDIT wrote:but the real question is, does this actually reduce sound as shown in the video? I think the video has been doctored, there is no way you could get that much suppression from an oil filter, it has no baffles, it's just one big echo chamber.

Only the first shot will be the quietest. After that, there is nothing left to hold in the sound.
(I think :peep: )

Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:27 am

TacticalAssault wrote:This is SOOOO 5 years ago. LOL. You can buy the adapters all over the place and actually do a form 1 on them and make them legal suppressors.

Literally, that video was 2013. And when they first came out, you just bought a stamp for the adapter, but the ATF later said that the adapter isn't the suppressor, the oil filter is and you had to have a stamp for each OIL FILTER. That fairly quickly killed the legal-use market for those, but it did start the solvent trap revolution which brought us TONS of companies that made tubes and parts for you to Form 1 your own can.

Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:51 am

Massivedesign wrote:
TacticalAssault wrote:This is SOOOO 5 years ago. LOL. You can buy the adapters all over the place and actually do a form 1 on them and make them legal suppressors.

Literally, that video was 2013. And when they first came out, you just bought a stamp for the adapter, but the ATF later said that the adapter isn't the suppressor, the oil filter is and you had to have a stamp for each OIL FILTER. That fairly quickly killed the legal-use market for those, but it did start the solvent trap revolution which brought us TONS of companies that made tubes and parts for you to Form 1 your own can.

Wait... you mean I'm in violation for all the oil filters I have in my garage? icon_eek

Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:58 am

AR15L wrote:
Massivedesign wrote:

Wait... you mean I'm in violation for all the oil filters I have in my garage? icon_eek

Rumor has it that you have pillows on your bed AND SOME ON YOUR COUCH! Constructive intent.
All we have to do is have someone, somewhere, say that they heard from someone else that you have said positive things about guns or threatened violence and SWAT time, honey.

Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:18 am

PMB wrote:
AR15L wrote:
Massivedesign wrote:

Rumor has it that you have pillows on your bed AND SOME ON YOUR COUCH! Constructive intent.
All we have to do is have someone, somewhere, say that they heard from someone else that you have said positive things about guns or threatened violence and SWAT time, honey.

Yup, having pillows and a mother in law in the same room makes you a pre emptive murderer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:05 am

Massivedesign wrote:

Well all those muzzle brakes with oil filter threads on them are now just for "solvent traps" I guess. LOL. Looks like I might as well do a form 1 and just build my own suppressor. Damn. :wink05:

Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:39 am

As long as the pillow can not be attached to the firearm, it's not a suppressor.

Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:43 am

BlDtyLry wrote:As long as the pillow can not be attached to the firearm, it's not a suppressor.

Own any tape?

Bam! Constructive intent!

Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:46 pm

BlDtyLry wrote:As long as the pillow can not be attached to the firearm, it's not a suppressor.

No, you can attach it to your firearm, it's not a suppressor until it SUPPRESSES a shot. Same with the oil cans. It's not illegal to have/mount etc until you actually SHOOT through it. No exit hole, you are good to go. As soon as you do, then you are in violation.

Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:45 pm

Massivedesign wrote:

No, you can attach it to your firearm, it's not a suppressor until it SUPPRESSES a shot. Same with the oil cans. It's not illegal to have/mount etc until you actually SHOOT through it. No exit hole, you are good to go. As soon as you do, then you are in violation.

It becomes a suppressor before you fire the shot. The moment you 'intend' to use it as a suppressor it becomes a suppressor.

The real question is: Does anyone make sights tall enough to work with these?

Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:46 pm

Potato
Post a reply