Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:17 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 homes evacuated for "dangerous" handgun ammunition 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The San Antonio Police Department's Bomb Squad was called to a Southwest Side neighborhood Saturday after dozens of rounds of ammunition were found underneath a home.The ammunition was discovered on the 7900 block of Dempsey Drive, near Old Pearsall Road and Southwest Military Drive, around 2:45 p.m. Saturday.
Capt. Troy Balcar of the San Antonio Fire Department said a family member found a sealed box with about 75 rounds of decades-old ammunition underneath the house. He said the rounds were about 40 years old, based on a date written on the box.Half a dozen nearby homes were evacuated for about three hours.
"This is definitely a big danger, because they've been under there so long," Balcar said. "They've rusted, they've been exposed to the weather, elements outside so we definitely want to get them disposed of as quickly as possible."
Family members said a veteran who served for more than 30 years lived at the house until he passed away recently.
This is the second time old ammunition has been found at the home. Just last week, the bomb squad spent about half an hour disposing of shotgun shells found there.

http://news4sanantonio.com/news/loca...omes-evacuated

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:00 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

this is why our taxes are so high, pure stupidity, lack of common sense................Hell these people probably call and exterminator to deal with a single house fly

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:03 am
Profile WWW
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

The family members and the cops were all idiots. Homes evacuated??
Not like it was a 40 year old case of sweaty dynamite.

"Capt. Troy Balcar of the San Antonio Fire Department said a family member found a sealed box with about 75 rounds of decades-old ammunition underneath the house. He said the rounds were about 40 years old, based on a date written on the box.Half a dozen nearby homes were evacuated for about three hours.
"Half a dozen nearby homes were evacuated for about three hours.
"This is definitely a big danger, because they've been under there so long," Balcar said. "They've rusted, they've been exposed to the weather, elements outside so we definitely want to get them disposed of as quickly as possible."

Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:07 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't understand why they felt they needed to evacuate the nearby houses? It's not like ammunition just goes off by itself, even 'old' ammunition is likely to be modern brass cased with non corrosive primers, not much of a threat unless you intentionally mishandle it.

BTW, your link is broken.

Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:07 am
Profile WWW
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Tacoma PD evacuated several city block a few years ago after finding a small pipe casing in the street with a burned out fuse.
The kids who left it went back to get some more fuse.

Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:12 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They sell stuff at the gun shows that is older than that.
:045:

Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:12 am

From what I hear from my fellow neighbor Texan, San Antonio is basically the Seattle of Texas.

Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:16 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TINCANBANDIT wrote:
this is why our taxes are so high, pure stupidity, lack of common sense................Hell these people probably call and exterminator to deal with a single house fly

I would tend to think a couple things:

1) Not one logical thinker in the whole group (hard to believe, but this IS 2017)
2) Logic doesn't come into play. By the script of hazards and by the play book. "If such and such is found.......do this and this and this......."

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:18 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

waglocker wrote:
From what I hear from my fellow neighbor Texan, San Antonio is basically the Seattle of Texas.

Check the map out:

Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

waglocker wrote:

That would be Austin Texas, mi amigo.

Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:33 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quote:
"This is definitely a big danger, because they've been under there so long," Balcar said.

They are all fucking morons.

They were 40 caliber, not 81mm mortar rounds for fucks sake.

Spoiler: show
"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

"The right of self defence is the first law of nature: in most governments it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest limits possible. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any colour or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction." - St. George Tucker

A careful definition of words would destroy half the agenda of the political left and scrutinizing evidence would destroy the other half. - Thomas Sowell

"To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow...

For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding." - Jeff Snyder

Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys. It realizes the ancient dream of the Jovian thunderbolt, and as such it is the embodiment of personal power. For this reason it exercises a curious influence over the minds of most men, and in its best examples it constitutes an object of affection unmatched by any other inanimate object.

Jeff Cooper
1997 The Art of the Rifle Page 1.

SUGGEST CASE BE SUBMITTED ON APPELLANT'S BRIEF. UNABLE TO OBTAIN ANY MONEY FROM CLIENTS TO BE PRESENT & ARGUE BRIEF.

The defense attorney's telegram to the clerk of the Supreme Court, March 29, 1939, in re United States. v. Miller.

You don't need to go to Law School to understand the constitutional implications of that.

“You can’t cut the throat of every cocksucker whose character it would improve.”
cityslicker wrote:
I don't want to be told that I can't remove the tree by some tree-hugging pole smoker from the eat-a-dick foundation/Olympia/King County.

Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:46 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guntrader wrote:

"Capt. Troy Balcar of the San Antonio Fire Department said a family member found a sealed box with about 75 rounds of decades-old ammunition underneath the house. He said the rounds were about 40 years old, based on a date written on the box.Half a dozen nearby homes were evacuated for about three hours.

Aren't we being a little quick to condemn all these people as idiots when WE don't know the full story? I know the thread title says "handgun ammunition" but all accounts of this incident don't reveal what the actual caliber is. I might be a little more concerned if aged 50 BMG tracer rounds were involved. How does anyone know it wasn't some 20mm HE that some bozo hauled home from Lackland AF base.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

deadshot2 wrote:
Guntrader wrote:

Aren't we being a little quick to condemn all these people as idiots when WE don't know the full story? I know the thread title says "handgun ammunition" but all accounts of this incident don't reveal what the actual caliber is. I might be a little more concerned if aged 50 BMG tracer rounds were involved. How does anyone know it wasn't some 20mm HE that some bozo hauled home from Lackland AF base.

Because the video at this link says they were 40 caliber?
http://news4sanantonio.com/news/local/75-rounds-of-ammunition-found-underneath-house-nearby-homes-evacuated

"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

"The right of self defence is the first law of nature: in most governments it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest limits possible. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any colour or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction." - St. George Tucker

A careful definition of words would destroy half the agenda of the political left and scrutinizing evidence would destroy the other half. - Thomas Sowell

"To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow...

For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding." - Jeff Snyder

Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys. It realizes the ancient dream of the Jovian thunderbolt, and as such it is the embodiment of personal power. For this reason it exercises a curious influence over the minds of most men, and in its best examples it constitutes an object of affection unmatched by any other inanimate object.

Jeff Cooper
1997 The Art of the Rifle Page 1.

SUGGEST CASE BE SUBMITTED ON APPELLANT'S BRIEF. UNABLE TO OBTAIN ANY MONEY FROM CLIENTS TO BE PRESENT & ARGUE BRIEF.

The defense attorney's telegram to the clerk of the Supreme Court, March 29, 1939, in re United States. v. Miller.

You don't need to go to Law School to understand the constitutional implications of that.

“You can’t cut the throat of every cocksucker whose character it would improve.”
cityslicker wrote:
I don't want to be told that I can't remove the tree by some tree-hugging pole smoker from the eat-a-dick foundation/Olympia/King County.

Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:00 am

Pablo wrote:
waglocker wrote:

HA, my friend said Austin is like Olympia. Full of Lefty-turds. Professional Lefty-turds, being the Capitol and all.

Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:02 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

waglocker wrote:
Pablo wrote:
waglocker wrote:

HA, my friend said Austin is like Olympia. Full of Lefty-turds. Professional Lefty-turds, being the Capitol and all.

Good point! :bow:

Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next