Switch to full style
Let's talk about guns!
Topic locked

Re: AR's at Kenmore?

Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:10 pm

Kenmore sucks, spend the money on gas and drive to greenwater.

had range Nazi's on the pistol range and its more for scoped pistols

Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:51 pm

deadshot2 wrote:Like I said, the Kenmore Range is not way out in the Country. It's an 84 acre range that has had houses grow up all around it, some of which are less than 200 yards from the Shotgun Range. Every effort is made to keep the range safe, not just for the shooters, but for the surrounding homes as well. If you recall, Machias range was closed for some time due to a bullet "escaping" the range. Same happened to the Seattle Police Range.

The rules are there, not just because the Club Directors are on a power trip, each and every one has been written because of an incident that has occurred prior to it's being instituted. Kenmore may not meet some peoples "standards" but they do have several awards for running a safe range.

I worked at and ran a 79 acre range, in the heart of Rancho Cordova, a suburb of Sacramento (the capital of the Peoples Republic of CA). 1 shot per second. Load what you want. We were surrounded by homes and businesses, and the only real restrictions, we had was "don't aim up", stop shooting at sun down, and no exploding targets. We had angled steel baffles above the range, and 40 foot berms around the range. One round ever made it out, a .50 cal slug. Landed several miles away by our best guess.

Putting 5 or 10 rounds in a magazine makes you no more likely to shoot over berms than having one round. I don't see any way to justify the rules at this place, especially in a state that allegedly supports the 2a so much more than my former home. If you're range master is even slightly better than a bag of rocks, then he can identify potential trouble customers in 5 seconds during range check in (ask them to show and clear all their weapons). Anyone you don't recognize, watch for 10 minutes and 1 cease fire; if they're going to be trouble, you'll know it by then.

I ran a range for long enough to have 0 sympathy for people's bullshit, and even less than that for people who are unsafe.

Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:55 pm

jdhbulseye wrote:
All centerfire rifles will be loaded one round at a time. Rimfire .22’s may be loaded with no more than 5 rounds at a time.

Why does the same "logic" not apply to pistols? Dipshit rules.

When was the last time you saw a pistol slam fire?

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:26 pm

tenxambition wrote:
jdhbulseye wrote:
All centerfire rifles will be loaded one round at a time. Rimfire .22’s may be loaded with no more than 5 rounds at a time.

Gotta look for those outta control lever gun mishaps to. :SHTF:

Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:39 pm

I've been shooting at Kenmore for 23+ years.
If you spend time there, and get to know the "crotchety old guys", they will cut you some slack.
As long as you aren't rapid fireing.
I bring the 3-5 rd mags and controlled fire (2-3 secs between shots)
No problems.

Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:52 pm

I'm sure there are some really great people there but reading this thread, it doesn't sound like a place I'd like to go.

Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:15 pm

As an RSO, I understand the range's issue with urban creep. I understand their rules. They cannot afford a single flyer, or they'll be sued out of existence. I get it. It's a sad reality for many ranges these days. CMP is a great program too. I was merely suggesting that for the first experience with a brand new AR, to take it elsewhere. Later, if she wants to shoot one a a time, cool.

Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:59 am

cdoniguian wrote:As an RSO, I understand the range's issue with urban creep. I understand their rules. They cannot afford a single flyer, or they'll be sued out of existence. I get it. It's a sad reality for many ranges these days. CMP is a great program too. I was merely suggesting that for the first experience with a brand new AR, to take it elsewhere. Later, if she wants to shoot one a a time, cool.

Except Interlake has no such rule and Issaquah has a 10 round limit. Both ranges are in the middle of houses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:24 am

tenxambition wrote:
jdhbulseye wrote:

When was the last time you drew a royal flush?

Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:44 am

No issues like this at Snoqualmie Valley Rifle Club.

Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:53 am

jdhbulseye wrote:

If you take a good look at the Pistol Range as opposed to the other two ranges (public and membership only) there's no effing way you can send a round off the property unless you were to go outside and shoot in the opposite direction. It's all about safety of a range in the middle of housing developments. Stupid to you perhaps but they're there to preserve the existence of the range. Yes, you can find ranges without those rules. They're in less populated areas and feel free to go there. If Kenmore doesn't meet your "standards" nobody's forcing you to shoot there.

Funny thing though, when I was there Sunday, EVERY shooting position was filled and there was a waiting list. I was there from 10 AM to 3 PM and people still kept coming.

Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:56 am

edogg wrote:The only thing good at the Kenmore range is their shotgun trap and sporting clays. No other reason to go there with the screwy rifle range rules.

Funny thing is that Interlake is in a similarly populated area. But there's no RO on duty and you can shoot with full magazines there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The geography around Interlake is entirely different. Natural berms/hills exist where they don't in Kenmore. Kenmore had to add a quarter million dollars worth of "baffles" to make sure an errant round didn't end up in Lynnwood from their rifle ranges. Even with the baffles some shooters end up putting rounds into them due to scopes that haven't even been basically bore sighted.

Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:58 am

I dont need a range report to know that stupid people are abundant on this planet; we just had a presidential election.

Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:02 am

EmbraceTheEdge wrote:I'm sure there are some really great people there but reading this thread, it doesn't sound like a place I'd like to go.

Then go up to the "Plantation" range run by Whatcom County Parks. It's closer to you anyway.

If one thinks Kenmore sucks, 1) then why is it so busy? 2) feel free to go to any of the other ranges. That's what life is. Don't like shopping in one store, hit the next one.

Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:52 am

tenxambition wrote:
jdhbulseye wrote:Why does the same "logic" not apply to pistols? Dipshit rules.

Actually I've seen 2. A rental Beretta (with ungodly numbers of round through it). Part of the sear broke I think, hammer was following the slide home and it would shoot through the whole mag. Second was a Glock 22. Something got stuck in the striker channel somehow, striker was sticking forward.
Topic locked