Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 New Law would give WSP power to destroy or trade Guns 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the trade part anyway..

http://www.kiro7.com/news/local/new-law ... /496713734

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I need to inspect the evidence. :bigsmile:

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:38 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Until a few years ago, LEA's in WA were fined $50 for every serviceable firearm they destroyed.

Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guntrader wrote:
Until a few years ago, LEA's in WA were fined $50 for every serviceable firearm they destroyed.

Really? Was it an RCW? Who fined them and where did the money go?

Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This quote from the article is mind-numbing.
Quote:
Alexander said WSP supports this bill even though there is no history of their confiscated guns going into the wrong hands.

More proof that WSP is commanded by morons. First we get them refusing to remove brandishers from the capitol gallery leading to the legislature unnecessarily banning guns there, now this.

If anyone thinks I'm being harsh to WSP then explain this:
Quote:
Alexander said WSP supports this bill even though there is no history of their confiscated guns going into the wrong hands.

She also said money made during weapons exchanges is not worth potential threats to public safety.

We asked for numbers.

She said during the last weapons exchange in 2014, the agency traded 251 seized weapons for 127 new 40-caliber pistols.

The trade was worth $49,377.

KIRO 7 reached out to Republican Representative Dick Muri representing Steilacoom. He opposes the bill.

“To have an attitude that 49,377 dollars a year is not important is just wrong,” said Muri.

He went on to say confiscated guns have value when sold back legally and destroying them won’t put a dent on crime.

“If you destroy these weapons, the manufacturers will have to produce more,” said Muri.

An extra $50k a year is almost a whole extra trooper. I'm sure the rank and file troopers would rather have an extra potential backup to help them than not. This attitude from the command staff is not just dumb, it's dangerous.

The WSP has no proof that ANY weapon EVER sold/traded was EVER used in a follow-up crime yet they take these insane positions. We need to clean out the whole damn command structure at this point.

Quote:
“I want to make something clear, I’m going to guarantee you this is not the last you’ve seen of him (Beto),” Biden said Monday evening during a campaign rally in Dallas. “You’re (Beto) going to take care of the gun problem with me. You’re (Beto) going to be the one who leads this effort.”

https://www.newsweek.com/beto-orourke-g ... ns-1465738
Quote:
[Beto O'Rourke Suggests Police Would 'Visit' Homes To Implement Proposed Assault Weapons Ban] "In that case, I think that there would be a visit by law enforcement to recover that firearm... ..."If someone does not turn in an AR-15 or an AK-47, one of these weapons of war...then that weapon will be taken from them"

Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Back in the late 80's to mid 90's that I know of...the WSP, local LEA's and WDFW would have an FFL holder's auction once a year at the Puyallup fairgrounds.

They sold off seized and confiscated guns by the hundred's. I bought a lot guns from those auctions for resale.

ETA...they were for the most part all hunting and utility type guns...anything that could be used for Dept. operations were not present.

-- Travis A Kisner

Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:39 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Been changed a few times over the years.

RCW 9.41.098
(a) Except as provided in (b), (c), and (d) of this subsection, firearms that are: (i) Judicially forfeited and no longer needed for evidence; or (ii) forfeited due to a failure to make a claim under RCW 63.32.010 or 63.40.010; may be disposed of in any manner determined by the local legislative authority. Any proceeds of an auction or trade may be retained by the legislative authority. This subsection (2)(a) applies only to firearms that come into the possession of the law enforcement agency after June 30, 1993.
By midnight, June 30, 1993, every law enforcement agency shall prepare an inventory, under oath, of every firearm that has been judicially forfeited, has been seized and may be subject to judicial forfeiture, or that has been, or may be, forfeited due to a failure to make a claim under RCW 63.32.010 or 63.40.010.
(b) Except as provided in (c) of this subsection, of the inventoried firearms a law enforcement agency shall destroy illegal firearms, may retain a maximum of ten percent of legal forfeited firearms for agency use, and shall either:
(i) Comply with the provisions for the auction of firearms in RCW 9.41.098 that were in effect immediately preceding May 7, 1993; or
(ii) Trade, auction, or arrange for the auction of, rifles and shotguns. In addition, the law enforcement agency shall either trade, auction, or arrange for the auction of, short firearms, or shall pay a fee of twenty-five dollars to the state treasurer for every short firearm neither auctioned nor traded, to a maximum of fifty thousand dollars. The fees shall be accompanied by an inventory, under oath, of every short firearm listed in the inventory required by (a) of this subsection, that has been neither traded nor auctioned. The state treasurer shall credit the fees to the firearms range account established in RCW 79A.25.210. All trades or auctions of firearms under this subsection shall be to licensed dealers. Proceeds of any auction less costs, including actual costs of storage and sale, shall be forwarded to the firearms range account established in RCW 79A.25.210.

Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do/did they have confiscated gun auctions here? Open to the public?

A friend in AZ gave me a run down of what they had at the confiscated gun auction (open to the public) there. Summary, lots of hi-points and cheap revolvers.

Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have an old Marlin 336 that was supposedly used in a crime a long time ago. It's even got some engraved numbers that are probably evidence numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Louddog wrote:
Do/did they have confiscated gun auctions here? Open to the public?

A friend in AZ gave me a run down of what they had at the confiscated gun auction (open to the public) there. Summary, lots of hi-points and cheap revolvers.

Dealer only...and you have to register with the agency prior to being able to even get on an auction notification list.

-- Travis A Kisner

Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]