Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:07 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Concealed Carry Question 

I live in a suburb of Seattle, but not inside the Seattle city limits. I'm wondering if a private business or institution can restrict my right to carry my concealed weapon when I'm inside their premises. For example, I notice some health institutions state that smoking and firearms are not permitted on their premises. I understand that they have the right to restrict smoking on or near their premises, but can they restrict me from carrying my concealed weapon when I visit them?

Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:27 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

no, worst thing comes your asked to leave, then you must

Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:30 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

It is perfectly legal for you to carry on private property, even if the owner has a "no firearms" policy. If you get caught, you have not broken any laws.

However, if they catch you with a gun and ask you to leave, you must. If you don't, you can be charged with trespassing.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:34 am

Awesome. Thanks for the info guys. I have no intention of ever flaunting my concealed weapon so I doubt I'll ever run into a problem . . . unless God forbid I have to use it. And if I do, that's a problem I'm willing to accept.

Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In WA about the only sign that carries the weight of law is in a bar/over 21 only area.

Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't forget Federal buildings

Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
It is perfectly legal for you to carry on private property, even if the owner has a "no firearms" policy. If you get caught, you have not broken any laws.

However, if they catch you with a gun and ask you to leave, you must. If you don't, you can be charged with trespassing.

This right here...+1

bld522 wrote:
I have no intention of ever flaunting my concealed weapon so I doubt I'll ever run into a problem . . . unless God forbid I have to use it. And if I do, that's a problem I'm willing to accept.

Another +1...better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:18 pm

There is another sign that carries weight in Washington and that is the sign that is supposed to be posted at the entrance to the mental ward and the hospital.

Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:30 am

zombie66 wrote:
Don't forget Federal buildings

Does this included people with federal contracts? Every time I have been to one of these buildings I have left my pistol in the truck because of signs, and because of security clearance issues. I just didn't want to make a deal out of it.

Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:42 am

It has the same weight of law as say a sign saying, "no sagging," or no vulgar wording. The same as if you are asked to leave a restaurant because you are getting rowdy. No laws are broken unless you refuse to leave.

This of course doesn't apply to the locations listed in the RCW that are prohibited or federal buildings.

Let's start an agument!
What about universities, and university hospitals like the UW hospital. The WAC for many schools says no firearms... and here's where the argument begins. Many say it applies to everyone, many say only to students. Some say it depends on how it's worded and which school as to whether it applies to everyone or just students.

Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unicorn wrote:
It has the same weight of law as say a sign saying, "no sagging," or no vulgar wording. The same as if you are asked to leave a restaurant because you are getting rowdy. No laws are broken unless you refuse to leave.

This of course doesn't apply to the locations listed in the RCW that are prohibited or federal buildings.

Let's start an agument!
What about universities, and university hospitals like the UW hospital. The WAC for many schools says no firearms... and here's where the argument begins. Many say it applies to everyone, many say only to students. Some say it depends on how it's worded and which school as to whether it applies to everyone or just students.

STOP IT! MY HEAD HURTS! :045:

Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unicorn wrote:

Let's start an agument!

Depends on the school and how it's written. SPSCC allows carry. Evergreen says no to anybody, then invites the general public to enjoy it's 1000 acre wooded campus, their cops all go "Yah no. We couldn't stop CC even if we wanted to, we don't and the WAC won't stand up in court..."

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]