Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:17 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Can gunsmith ship your gun directly back to you? 

Can anyone shed light on if a gunsmith can send back your firearm directly back to you and not to a FFL?
Thinking about sending out a Glock to get modified but was wondering if it has to get shipped back to a FFL and I'll have to fill out paperwork again.

Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:44 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/must-li ... customized

Quote:
Must a licensed gunsmith conduct a NICS background check on the return of repaired or customized firearms?

No, if the firearm is being returned to the person from whom it was received. If however the firearm is delivered to a person other than the person from whom received, a NICS background check is required.

Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:47 pm

Awesome thanks for that info! So WA state doesn't have any additional regulation regarding this?

Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:54 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Andy23 wrote:
Awesome thanks for that info! So WA state doesn't have any additional regulation regarding this?

The fact that this question needs to be asked, and is even a reasonable question - that kind of pisses me off.

Not that I know of. :cheers2:

Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When my XDs had a re-call on the trigger, it was shipped back directly to me.

Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:14 pm

Thanks guys for the responses, one less expense to worry about

Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The short answer is yes. I've shipped several handguns off to gunsmiths for service/modification. The GCA and ATF regulations allow you to ship a firearm directly to a gunsmith for modification/repair and the gunsmith can mail directly back to your residence.

Don't bring your handgun to the USPS as it's against federal regulations. You'll need to take it to a UPS or FedEx service depot. The UPS Store franchises will not accept firearms for shipment, you'll have to take it to service depot. At the service depot you'll need to declare the package as a handgun. At that point UPS and probably also FedEx policy requires overnight shipment (personally I've always used UPS). This is not due to federal regulation but rather carrier policy. The UPS service depot personnel will also likely to ask for a copy of the gunsmith / recipient FFL prior to accepting the package for shipment. Your gunsmith should readily provide a copy on request prior to shipping. Plus adult signature required on delivery.

It's a spendy proposition with shipping likely to run $70-$90 each way. My current thinking is that it's worthwhile for action jobs on competition pieces, particularly for work such as the Apex Tactical Level IV tune for revolvers using Federal primers only. If a duty tune is what you're after, then there are local gunsmiths, notably CaR Firearms, that can do great work at a fraction of the cost of shipping to an out of area gunsmith.

Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

GeekWithGuns wrote:

It's a spendy proposition with shipping likely to run $70-$90 each way.

Only reason I would personally ship a firearm out of state would be for a warranty issue and then the Manufacturer will usually send a UPS tag then ship it back at their expense.

For everything else there's certainly a qualified gunsmith within driving distance (or I do the work myself).

As for the high cost? I had a UPS clerk explain once that they require Next Day Air because it requires all kinds of monitoring along the way and also spends less time "on the belts". The longer UPS has their hands on the weapon they figure more chance of it getting stolen. In a way it's their answer to curing one of their problems, by making the customer pay at least 4x the cost of normal shipping.

Too bad one couldn't just put it in a large box that a Sump Pump used to come in. Pack it tight and make the seal on the end of the box look "Factory". Who'd steal a "Sump Pump"? :bigsmile:

Maybe just attach a toilet plunger cup over the muzzle and call it a Redneck Toilet Plunger.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Last edited by deadshot2 on Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:31 pm

I'm thinking about getting a full modification package done by Taran Tactical:
http://tarantacticalinnovations.com/combat-master-package/

Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Andy23 wrote:
Can anyone shed light on if a gunsmith can send back your firearm directly back to you and not to a FFL?
Thinking about sending out a Glock to get modified but was wondering if it has to get shipped back to a FFL and I'll have to fill out paperwork again.

So can we take this as a tacit admission that Glocks are not absolute perfection distilled? I vote yes.

Spoiler: show
"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

"The right of self defence is the first law of nature: in most governments it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest limits possible. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any colour or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction." - St. George Tucker

A careful definition of words would destroy half the agenda of the political left and scrutinizing evidence would destroy the other half. - Thomas Sowell

"To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow...

For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding." - Jeff Snyder

Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys. It realizes the ancient dream of the Jovian thunderbolt, and as such it is the embodiment of personal power. For this reason it exercises a curious influence over the minds of most men, and in its best examples it constitutes an object of affection unmatched by any other inanimate object.

Jeff Cooper
1997 The Art of the Rifle Page 1.

SUGGEST CASE BE SUBMITTED ON APPELLANT'S BRIEF. UNABLE TO OBTAIN ANY MONEY FROM CLIENTS TO BE PRESENT & ARGUE BRIEF.

The defense attorney's telegram to the clerk of the Supreme Court, March 29, 1939, in re United States. v. Miller.

You don't need to go to Law School to understand the constitutional implications of that.

“You can’t cut the throat of every cocksucker whose character it would improve.”
cityslicker wrote:
I don't want to be told that I can't remove the tree by some tree-hugging pole smoker from the eat-a-dick foundation/Olympia/King County.

Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:42 pm

I don't get why all the customization companies are out of California.

Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:44 pm

jdhbulseye wrote:
Andy23 wrote:

So can we take this as a tacit admission that Glocks are not absolute perfection distilled? I vote yes.

Never been a Glock fanboy so... Yes.

Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:44 pm

Bennngeeee wrote:
I don't get why all the customization companies are out of California.

I read somewhere that California is one of the biggest markets for gun sales. Maybe that's why?

Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've had a rifle, and a pistol shipped directly to my front door from the manufacturer after repairs.

Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

deadshot2 wrote:
GeekWithGuns wrote:

It's a spendy proposition with shipping likely to run $70-$90 each way.

As for the high cost? I had a UPS clerk explain once that they require Next Day Air because it requires all kinds of monitoring along the way and also spends less time "on the belts". The longer UPS has their hands on the weapon they figure more chance of it getting stolen. In a way it's their answer to curing one of their problems, by making the customer pay at least 4x the cost of normal shipping.

Bingo. With shipments between licensed dealers running into hundreds of thousands of firearms per year (at least), most of which travel by USPS or ground service delivery, you'd think that the rest of us could also use these same methods. UPS and FedEx basically make the average customer pay a premium because they have a problem with their own damn employees stealing firearms and god knows what else out of their own systems. No reason it should cost more than $20-$25 tops to ship a firearm to someone.

Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next