Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Gun cleaners/ solvents 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Seattle, Bellevue, Kirkland, Everett, Lynnwood at various times
Guntrader wrote:
Hoppes tastes horrible too.

Had some small gun parts soaking in a glass of Hoppes, took them out and was putting a rifle back together.
Came into the kitchen as the ex wife was leaving.
Thought 'Oh, she poured me some bourbon.

Nope. HOPPES!

I assume that is why she is the ex wife? :shocked4:

Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've used a 50/50 of carb cleaner and CLP in the past. If you let it soak overnight it works pretty good. Currently experimenting with other stuff.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Spoiler: show
"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

"The right of self defence is the first law of nature: in most governments it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest limits possible. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any colour or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction." - St. George Tucker

A careful definition of words would destroy half the agenda of the political left and scrutinizing evidence would destroy the other half. - Thomas Sowell

"To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow...

For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding." - Jeff Snyder

Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys. It realizes the ancient dream of the Jovian thunderbolt, and as such it is the embodiment of personal power. For this reason it exercises a curious influence over the minds of most men, and in its best examples it constitutes an object of affection unmatched by any other inanimate object.

Jeff Cooper
1997 The Art of the Rifle Page 1.

SUGGEST CASE BE SUBMITTED ON APPELLANT'S BRIEF. UNABLE TO OBTAIN ANY MONEY FROM CLIENTS TO BE PRESENT & ARGUE BRIEF.

The defense attorney's telegram to the clerk of the Supreme Court, March 29, 1939, in re United States. v. Miller.

You don't need to go to Law School to understand the constitutional implications of that.

“You can’t cut the throat of every cocksucker whose character it would improve.”
cityslicker wrote:
I don't want to be told that I can't remove the tree by some tree-hugging pole smoker from the eat-a-dick foundation/Olympia/King County.

Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:44 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

No, I had 'poured' the Hoppes previously to soak parts in.

She was bad, just not quite THAT bad.

guncruiser wrote:
I assume that is why she is the ex wife? :shocked4:

Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

guncruiser wrote:
I like MPro cleaner and copper cleaner. Non toxic.

I use the MPro cleaner and lube as well. I like it because there's no smell and my wife doesn't gripe at me when I clean my guns. Be sure to live afterward because the MPro will clean EVERYTHING off.

For copper solvent, I use Pro Shot, which is amazing stuff. It doesn't take much work for the patches to stop coming out green.

And in a pinch, I use Hoppes. Love that smell. Too bad my wife doesn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh yeah. And I use the Birchwood Casey Gunscrubber for the really nasty stuff. Basically it's brake cleaner. Like the MPro, gotta lube well afterward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:52 pm

M-Pro-7 is fantastic. I've been using it for about 15 years. Works better than Hoppes without the smell.

Hoppes is ok, especially if you're going to toss your bolt group in a glass jar filled with Hoppes on your way home from the range. Or overnight.
A cheaper alternative is a 50/50 mix of kerosene and alcohol. The same thing as Hoppes without the %5 ammonia and the 5% banana oil (for the nicer smell). It won't do anything for copper, which is why there's ammonia in Hoppes... but so little it's a very slow acting copper solvent, but works great for carbon.

Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Was a CLP guy for years, still love the smell of that stuff. But there are many environmentally friendly yet effective solvents available nowadays, often without the harsh smell of Hoppe's or CLP. Gradually I shifted to using separate products for solvent and lubrication.

Another vote for M-Pro 7 solvent. I use it in an ultrasonic cleaner as a bath for handguns. Works great for carbon fouling on my competition revolvers which, being stainless, I like to keep squeaky clean.

I initially thought the newer cleaners would be bullshit. After all, how can you really get shit clean without MEK, Acetone, and Tetrohydrofuran :bigsmile: But the M-Pro 7 really works.

Also use the Birchwood Casey lead removal cloth for really tough fouling on the forward face of revolver cylinders and tough spots around the frame.

I shoot almost exclusively lead bullets so won't comment on copper solvents.

For lube, I use either Slip 2000 EWL, M-Pro LPX gun oil, or Hornady Dry Lube depending on application.

Haven't tried any of the foaming bore cleaners. I find a hot ultrasonic bath in M-Pro 7 solvent followed by bore scrubbing works well. Also have J-B bore cleaner although for lead I often just repeatedly pull a brass brush wrapped with brass wool through the bore. Works like a champ.

Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I only use non-toxic stuff on my firearms and around my house.
I've found that Slip2000's Carbon Killer works best for carbon.

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:19 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hoppes or froglube

Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gunslick foam does work well, just not on semi-auto gas operated guns.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anyone used simple green for soaking? Works great on campstove parts.

Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:40 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Seattle, Bellevue, Kirkland, Everett, Lynnwood at various times
quantsuff wrote:
Anyone used simple green for soaking? Works great on campstove parts.

I have used it in my ultrasonic cleaner in a pinch. Works fine. Don't care for the smell.

Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Slip 2000 if you don't mind soaking for a long time and still have some minor scraping to do. Same for Kroil but good luck keeping Kroil in the can once you open it. That stuff will creep up and out like nothing I've ever seen. Leave a can on the shelf and a week later there's a puddle around it.

Best way to get the carbon out is the Otis "B.O.N.E. tool".

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/916402/otis-bone-tool-carbon-scraper-for-ar-15

Great because it only takes a few minutes to scrape/clean and can be taken into the field.

If you're real lazy an inexpensive Ultrasonic cleaner works great too. Usually can buy one cheap from someone who thought they were good for cleaning brass (they do work but it takes half a day of futzing to get the brass clean and lousy for large batches).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:48 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mari wrote:
Hoppes or froglube

:plusone:

Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:51 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok, so here we go.. I used Birchwood Casey Super Black Touch-up Pen on my Glenfield model 75 barrel to touch it up..
Wasn't happy with it, so then used Birchwood Casey Blue and Rust Remover to strip the entire barrel, and BlueWonder to blue it.

Well, the Touch up pen won't come off the barrel, even after 5 applications of the Blue and Rust remover !!!!

So, what should I try ??? Called Birchwood Casey, and they had no idea how to strip off there product. They said the Blue/Rust remover should have done it..
So they gave no other help...

Should I try Acetone, or Paint Thinner or ???
Please advise, thanks, don

Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next