Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Spanaway convenience store shooting 
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

deadshot2 wrote:
MadPick wrote:
Just because someone is moving away from you, even if his/her back is turned, doesn't mean that the threat is over.

Try to explain that to a jury comprised of 12 people too stupid to figure out an excuse to avoid jury duty in the first place. Yeah, yeah, civic duty and all that stuff but the reality is that most jurors aren't always the brightest bulbs in the chandelier. You're up crap creek if they have an anti-gun mentality as well. Putty in the Prosecutor's hands.

Already been done in Spokane. Guy was driving away with his vehicle and was shot/killed. Guy got off.

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA
Firearms Policy Coalition

Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:02 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What bearing does the report have that the clerk ordered the perp off the property, then the perp ran inside and committed shoplifting? Or is it robbery as a consequence of ignoring an order to leave and trespassing with the intent to steal, and perhaps diss the clerk?

"I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." - Robert Heinlein

Resistance to tyranny is always justified.

Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From the Bonney Lake Courier-Herald, today.

http://www.blscourierherald.com/news/373999811.html

"Yesterday Pierce County Prosecutor Mark Lindquist charged Min Sik Kim, 30, with murder in the second degree for shooting a shoplifter, 21-year-old Jakeel Rashon Mason, in the back as he tried to flee from Kim’s store. Kim is scheduled to be arraigned today at 1:30 p.m. in room 270 of the County-City Building in Tacoma.

“The defendant’s frustrations are understandable, but his actions were not lawful,” said Prosecutor Mark Lindquist. “Shop owners cannot legally shoot unarmed shoplifters attempting to flee.”

On March 25, 2016, a group of men were loitering outside Kim’s store, and Kim went outside to tell them to leave. Video surveillance from inside the store shows that while Kim was outside, Mason attempted to steal cigarettes from behind the counter. As Kim entered the store, he pulled out a pistol from his waistband and held Mason at gunpoint. Mason put his hands up and Kim backed him up against a store shelf. Kim then put his gun back in his waistband and punched Mason in the face. The two struggled for a few seconds as Mason tried to get away from Kim. Once Kim was on the ground, Mason ran toward the door. He picked up a pack of cigarettes as he attempted to leave. Kim stood up, pulled his pistol from his waistband and fired at Mason, striking him twice in the back. Mason collapsed in the doorway. Kim then picked up the stolen cigarettes and called 911.

Kim’s wife was clerking the same store in February when the store was robbed by a different person. The robber displayed a gun and the two fired at each other. She was shot, but survived.

Charges are only allegations and a person is presumed innocent unless he or she is proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt."

This smells of typical newspaper reporting. Still, the article states the thief tried to exit after the clerk "was on the ground". I am sure some will say the thief was defending himself. Just what are his rights to self defense under such conditions?

"I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." - Robert Heinlein

Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's one thing if Kim was knocked over simply from the perp trying to get away, it may be another if he was pushed to the ground, but I don't think even that would meet the criteria for robbery unless a strike was thrown at Kim.

I think he's fucked.

Sent from my UAV using Disposition Matrix 2.0

Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:49 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I wonder if we could all volunteer for jury duty . . . and give this guy a fighting chance.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hate to say it but the outcome don't look good. Wish they would show the video, look how fast the one with his wife came out.

In all I think he "snapped" and said enough with this shit.

Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:59 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

“The defendant’s frustrations are understandable, but his actions were not lawful,”

"Let us Cross the river and sit in the shade of the trees" .....Stonewall Jackson

T. Jefferson "....the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure"

Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

WaJim wrote:
“The defendant’s frustrations are understandable, but his actions were not lawful,”

Of course, some guy shoots his wife in the head with his AR, and gets 11-13 years, manslaughter.
http://q13fox.com/2016/03/03/former-jbl ... h-of-wife/

Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:23 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

ANZAC wrote:
WaJim wrote:

Of course, some guy shoots his wife in the head with his AR, and gets 11-13 years, manslaughter.
http://q13fox.com/2016/03/03/former-jbl ... h-of-wife/

Could it be the prosecutor seeks a 2nd Degree and settles on Manslaughter?

From Wiki;

Second-degree murder: any intentional murder with malice aforethought, but is not premeditated or planned in advance.[10]

Voluntary manslaughter: (also referred to as third-degree murder), sometimes called a crime of passion murder, is any intentional killing that involves no prior intent to kill, and which was committed under such circumstances that would "cause a reasonable person to become emotionally or mentally disturbed". Both this and second-degree murder are committed on the spot under a spur-of-the-moment choice, but the two differ in the magnitude of the circumstances surrounding the crime. For example, a bar fight that results in death would ordinarily constitute second-degree murder. If that same bar fight stemmed from a discovery of infidelity, however, it may be mitigated to voluntary manslaughter

"Let us Cross the river and sit in the shade of the trees" .....Stonewall Jackson

T. Jefferson "....the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure"

Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:44 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After the struggle, he's still committed to grabbing those cigs, hahahahaha.

So that then counts as robbery? Or is his struggle SD because Mr Kim started throwing punches?

Hmmmmmm food for thought.

Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:12 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Good news. Jakeel Mason will not be able to commit any more crimes on this earth. We should see if there is a defense fund for the store owner.

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA
Firearms Policy Coalition

Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:22 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BadKarma wrote:
deadshot2 wrote:
MadPick wrote:
Just because someone is moving away from you, even if his/her back is turned, doesn't mean that the threat is over.

Try to explain that to a jury comprised of 12 people too stupid to figure out an excuse to avoid jury duty in the first place. Yeah, yeah, civic duty and all that stuff but the reality is that most jurors aren't always the brightest bulbs in the chandelier. You're up crap creek if they have an anti-gun mentality as well. Putty in the Prosecutor's hands.

Already been done in Spokane. Guy was driving away with his vehicle and was shot/killed. Guy got off.

The scary thing about the Gerlach case was the entire acquittal hinged on the jury believing that Gerlach was fearing a Parthian Shot.

The prosecutor and judge and all counsel involved seemed to not care about the part of the RCW that says force can be used to stop a felony... such as a thief trying to get away with your car. The felony isn't accomplished as long as you can stop it...

Quote:
RCW 9A.16.050
Homicide—By other person—When justifiable.
Homicide is also justifiable when committed either:
(1) In the lawful defense of the slayer, or his or her husband, wife, parent, child, brother, or sister, or of any other person in his or her presence or company, when there is reasonable ground to apprehend a design on the part of the person slain to commit a felony or to do some great personal injury to the slayer or to any such person, and there is imminent danger of such design being accomplished; or
(2) In the actual resistance of an attempt to commit a felony upon the slayer, in his or her presence, or upon or in a dwelling, or other place of abode, in which he or she is.
[2011 c 336 § 354; 1975 1st ex.s. c 260 § 9A.16.050.]

We need better prosecutors and courts.

Quote:
“I want to make something clear, I’m going to guarantee you this is not the last you’ve seen of him (Beto),” Biden said Monday evening during a campaign rally in Dallas. “You’re (Beto) going to take care of the gun problem with me. You’re (Beto) going to be the one who leads this effort.”

https://www.newsweek.com/beto-orourke-g ... ns-1465738
Quote:
[Beto O'Rourke Suggests Police Would 'Visit' Homes To Implement Proposed Assault Weapons Ban] "In that case, I think that there would be a visit by law enforcement to recover that firearm... ..."If someone does not turn in an AR-15 or an AK-47, one of these weapons of war...then that weapon will be taken from them"

Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not a lot of those cameras record audio...

A simple 'he said he was going to his truck to get his gun and shoot me'.... would suffice..

Given his situation, I'm sure the officers would've been like 'OK, sounds good to me', and that'd have been the end of it.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtOoWvPasFc

Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Spoke with Kim's wife at the store a few days ago. She was obviously very happy
as her husband was bailed out of jail. She said his lawyer was confident.

Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next