Switch to full style
Let's talk about guns!
Post a reply

Re: NICS delay

Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:52 pm

Ops wrote:its also 10 business days not days and it starts the next business day and you can pick iy up on the 11th.

so which ffl?

Unfortunately the RCW (federal law allows the transfer on the 4th day) doesn't say who's business days. Prior to I594 when it allowed transfers without getting a response from the state is said business days in which state offices are open. Now it just says 10 business days, but not who's. The store? State offices? Days that NICS is open so a straight ten days since NICS is open everyday? Would be nice to know since this could be ten days or it could be 14 depending on who's you look at.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:03 am

It has been years since one of my 'Delay's' has turned into a 'Proceed'
Just never hear back.

Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:14 am

I used to get "Delayed" almost every time and it pissed me off. I even called the ATF and asked why?? No straight answer, just get a UPIN if it's a problem.
I had an FFL, A CPL, A Commercial Pilots License, a CDL with Hazmat, NFA items and a few other certifications that involved Federal Level BGC's.
I got over it and i don't recall ever needing what i was buying immediately anyway.
They almost always went "Proceed", sometimes within minutes and i just got used to it. For some reason it seems to have stopped, but the Moral is, don't buy from a store that requires a "Proceed" to release, and relax. (Big 5, etc)
Yeah, it's an inconvenience...but in the grand scheme of things? Whatever.
If that's the worst thing that happens in your day, you are doing Ok.

Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:14 pm

Massivedesign wrote:You don’t need a UPIN for delay, only for constant denial.

Also, you need to find another FFL, they can release the handgun to you if 10 days has passed.

Edit to add, your security clearance is probably what’s holding it up. Heard about it many many times. Get used to being delayed.

I emailed NICS to ask if anyone could tell me why the delay is taking so long, since the FFL will not call them. That was a mistake, because they took it as an "appeal" and started telling me that I did not include the NICS Transaction number, and they also need a copy of my fingerprints. I wrote back and told them this was not an official appeal, just a question about my delay. They wrote back and insist I send a copy of my fingerprints. I called the local sherriff dept where I got my CPL and they said it is VERY common for this to have to be done. So tomorrow, for $12, I will go in and get my fingerprints and send them in to NICS along with the NICS Transaction number I will get from the FFL.

The FFL is actually Fred Meyer, not Walmart...our local Walmart does not sell handguns....

Also, I will NEVER buy from them again. I will go to another guy who works where I do, and has a FFL, and he will follow the laws of the state to release after 3 days if no response from the monkeys at NICS.

Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:18 pm

Unicorn wrote:
Ops wrote:its also 10 business days not days and it starts the next business day and you can pick iy up on the 11th.

so which ffl?

Unfortunately the RCW (federal law allows the transfer on the 4th day) doesn't say who's business days. Prior to I594 when it allowed transfers without getting a response from the state is said business days in which state offices are open. Now it just says 10 business days, but not who's. The store? State offices? Days that NICS is open so a straight ten days since NICS is open everyday? Would be nice to know since this could be ten days or it could be 14 depending on who's you look at.

I waited till 10 business days before contacting them, and then I knew Thanksgiving and Black Friday would be an issue, which is was...so now it is December 10th, and my application expires on the 14th, so I plan to go through the appeal and get a UPIN..

Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:42 pm

sp5937 wrote:I waited till 10 business days before contacting them, and then I knew Thanksgiving and Black Friday would be an issue, which is was...so now it is December 10th, and my application expires on the 14th, so I plan to go through the appeal and get a UPIN..

Good luck with the UPIN. Let us know in a couple years if you get it.....

https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/nics/ ... cs-appeals
The NICS Section’s Appeal Services Team is currently processing appeal cases and Voluntary Appeal File (VAF) cases received in August 2015.

Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:58 pm

Massivedesign wrote:
sp5937 wrote:I waited till 10 business days before contacting them, and then I knew Thanksgiving and Black Friday would be an issue, which is was...so now it is December 10th, and my application expires on the 14th, so I plan to go through the appeal and get a UPIN..

Good luck with the UPIN. Let us know in a couple years if you get it.....

https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/nics/ ... cs-appeals
The NICS Section’s Appeal Services Team is currently processing appeal cases and Voluntary Appeal File (VAF) cases received in August 2015.

Yes, I saw that also on their site and asked them about it. The response is copied and pasted from the email I got back, here:

"If we are able to determine through fingerprint comparison that you are non-ident to the record you are hitting on, then we will expedite your appeal."

I am mailing the info on the 13th, so we shallsee what happens. In the meantime I have already paid another FFL for the gun I want and he has ordered it. Should be in on the 13th, and if he gets a delay, I will get the gun after 3-4 days.

Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:16 am

I've seen upin turn around in 2 weeks. I've seen deny appeals (overturned) done in 2 weeks. It's not always a black hole.

Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:48 pm

Has anyone had it where you get a proceed for rifles, and a delay for pistols? A few years ago I really only bought shotguns and rifles, and always got a proceed. Then I got my CPL and bought only pistols for a while, and was delayed every time. This includes stripped receivers/frames, AR=good to go, 1911=wait. Figured the delay was my life now, but got a proceed when I picked up my AK a few weeks ago. Wondering if my delay curse was lifted for some reason, or if I have a funky handgun delay curse. Might be worth going for a new pistol to test the waters...

Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:58 pm

SporkBoy wrote:I've seen upin turn around in 2 weeks. I've seen deny appeals (overturned) done in 2 weeks. It's not always a black hole.

Well, the only good news in this so far is that I finally DID get my gun...through the FFL I know personally, NOT through the Fred Meyer store. They never bothered to call me about anything, so they have totally lost my business in sporting goods.

I have yet to hear ANYTHING from NICS also, even though they now have my fingerprints they so desperately wanted. I don't expect to hear from them.

Also, when I bought the Glock from my friend, I also got a delay on THAT purchase. Sooo, I had to wait the obligatory 3 days...then I picked up my beautiful new Glock 19 4th Gen...

Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:10 pm

Good to hear you got your Pistol. :thumbsup2: There seems to be much inconsistency in regards to NICS checks. I hear it's because of volume and the lack of people with time to clear the delays....or willing to do so.

Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:46 pm

There's a class action lawsuit brewing concerning wrongful delays

https://bearingarms.com/tom-k/2017/12/2 ... ing-steam/

Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:01 pm

Question for those who are constantly delayed, do you include your SSN on the Form 4473?

Optional I know but I've included mine on every purchase and nary a single delay since "NICS" was born.

I figure that my SSN is already in the hands of the Gov, all of my former employers, anyone I've ever applied for credit with, so why not on a form that's eventually going to mold to pieces in the basement of some gun dealer's shop/house?

As for worrying about identity theft, I have enough controls on my credit to prevent that.

Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:32 pm

deadshot2 wrote:Question for those who are constantly delayed, do you include your SSN on the Form 4473?

Tried it with and without SSN. Doesn't seem to make a difference.
Delay usually means your name is in their system, but they don't know why.
Someone is going to have to put in some effort and check it out......or not bother.

Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:19 pm

I had a customer that had someone on the no go list that lived only a block away with the same first, middle, and last name that always gets delayed. Also people with a high level clearance get delayed. The person doing the checking has to have a higher clearance than the person they are checking.
Post a reply