Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:33 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 NICS delay 

Hmm. Hubby got a delay, I guess if we ever want to buy a firearm for the kids again we'll try putting it in my name and see if I get delayed too. We both have our concealed permits. Just trying to buy a 22 rifle for the kids. Kind of annoying to say the least. Not like we were going to go shoot it this weekend, so I guess it's no big deal. We'll just pick up some more 22LR ammo next time we're there.

Last edited by LadyShooter on Sat May 16, 2015 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 16, 2015 6:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LadyShooter wrote:
Hmm. Hubby got a delay, I guess next time we go to buy a firearm we'll try putting it in my name and see if I get delayed too. We both have our concealed permits. Just trying to buy a 22 rifle for the kids. Kind of annoying to say the least. Not like we were going to go shoot it this weekend, so I guess it's no big deal. We'll just pick up some more 22LR ammo next time we're there.

So umm yeah. Unless you are the actual purchaser of the firearm, no. Even if married. Delays happen, usually because of overworked or understaffed federal computers. Just chill, happens to most of us sooner or later. But what you said earlier. Just no.

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Sat May 16, 2015 7:00 pm

If it is for our kids, then it really doesn't matter which parent is purchasing the firearm.

Sat May 16, 2015 7:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LadyShooter wrote:
If it is for our kids, then it really doesn't matter which parent is purchasing the firearm.

I would just be careful about going around saying "Oh well, my husband gets delayed, so I'll do it next time."

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Sat May 16, 2015 7:02 pm

kf7mjf wrote:
LadyShooter wrote:

I would just be careful about going around saying "Oh well, my husband gets delayed, so I'll do it next time."

Edited original post to keep folks from getting their panties in a bunch. Thanks for the tip. [emoji6]

I'm also just curious what caused the delay, if it is just a slow system or if there is another person out there with his name that caused the delay. It's just curious.

Sat May 16, 2015 7:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What caused the delay? Some dickhead picking his nose and staring blankly at a computer screen.

As far as the "straw purchase"... Your not buying it for your husband or a person over the age of 18 yada yada.... Your buying it for your kiddo... Don't matter which person it is... So who gives a Damned

Sat May 16, 2015 7:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Would be helpful to know, whether you used computer or paper/phone at the FFL, and what time of day it was... (to bolster my theories about delays).

Sat May 16, 2015 8:14 pm

ANZAC wrote:
Would be helpful to know, whether you used computer or paper/phone at the FFL, and what time of day it was... (to bolster my theories about delays).

Computer, maybe 7pm? Purchasing at Cabela's

Sat May 16, 2015 8:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I used to get delay over 50% of the time. There are approximately 4 other adults in the US with my same first and last name that I'm aware of. 1 is into marijuana according to Facebook.

After my arrest in March for attempted murder, which was subsequently ruled self defense and no charges were pursued by the prosecutor the following day, my next 2 pistol purchases were immediately delayed by NICS with a "no resolution, give NWRed on x/xx/2015 " from NICS. My case isn't "officially closed" by the prosecutors office so I fully expected NICS delays and hassles regarding firearm purchases . I purchased a rifle last week, it went to delay and the ffl got a call with a proceed the following day almost 24hrs later. Theres no rhyme or reason to NICS. :bigsmile:

Last edited by NWRed on Sat May 16, 2015 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 16, 2015 8:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LadyShooter wrote:
ANZAC wrote:

Computer, maybe 7pm? Purchasing at Cabela's

Ha => 7pm. I bet if it was 9am you would have been fine. I always get delayed when it is the end of the day.

Sat May 16, 2015 8:44 pm

Did he put down his SSN?

I got delayed twice in a row when I didn't put my SSN on the 4473. Ever since then, I've put down my SSN and have had no issues on multiple purchases.

Sat May 16, 2015 8:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a common name, get delayed every 3 or 4 purchases. It just happens. First time freaked me out, 2nd time just figured its shitty big brother red tape crap that everyone has to deal with. I heard if you get a u-pin then its a lot better. Brian

Sat May 16, 2015 9:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

you buy it he buys it , dont let the crazys scare you.

delays happen alot now. its not the end of the world.

shit even I get delayed. depends on where and time of day usually

Yaki's - last journey

Promote a Growth Mindset. Don't let a fixed mindset not allow change for the better.

pow·er trip - noun - a self-aggrandizing quest for ever-increasing control over others.

Sat May 16, 2015 9:39 pm

redoubt wrote:
Did he put down his SSN?

I got delayed twice in a row when I didn't put my SSN on the 4473. Ever since then, I've put down my SSN and have had no issues on multiple purchases.

I'm pretty sure the computer form makes you fill out all the information. I tried to help fill out the form, and they said oh no, you can't do that. Only the person buying can fill it out. I thought well hell I just type faster. Had to start all over. I had to walk away so I didn't say how stupid I thought that was. I'm sure it's just a set regulation, everyone has to do it that way, so whatever. I guess I have a lot to learn.

Sat May 16, 2015 9:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quote:
Edited original post to keep folks from getting their panties in a bunch. Thanks for the tip.

My panties ALWAYS get in a bunch when talking about getting a $250,000 fine! You are correct in saying either parent can purchase the firearm for use by their minor children, since legally it's still the parents. However, if one parent gets delayed or denied and then the other parent attempts to purchase the firearm-that IS a straw purchase! The later you go in, the greater your chance of getting a delay. I've had several customers who've never gotten a delay, especially military members with high level security clearances, come in an hour or 2 before closing and get a delay. I have to explain to them that it's a couple hours later back east and most (or all) of the people (especially with high level security clearances) have gone home for the day.

Sat May 16, 2015 9:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next