Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:45 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 NICS delay 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the computer form makes you fill out all the information.

SSN is Optional. However, using it is an additional identifier that could help you keep from getting a delay. I've seen plenty of people not give their SSN, and not get a delay. Although usually they don't have a very common name. I would recommend 2 things the next time he goes to purchase: go early and use SSN. If he still gets a delay, get a UPIN.

Sat May 16, 2015 9:52 pm

chasehooks wrote:
Quote:
Edited original post to keep folks from getting their panties in a bunch. Thanks for the tip.

My panties ALWAYS get in a bunch when talking about getting a $250,000 fine! You are correct in saying either parent can purchase the firearm for use by their minor children, since legally it's still the parents. However, if one parent gets delayed or denied and then the other parent attempts to purchase the firearm-that IS a straw purchase! The later you go in, the greater your chance of getting a delay. I've had several customers who've never gotten a delay, especially military members with high level security clearances, come in an hour or 2 before closing and get a delay. I have to explain to them that it's a couple hours later back east and most (or all) of the people (especially with high level security clearances) have gone home for the day.

Good to know! Really, though, I do appreciate the education you (and everyone else here on this forum) are providing. Heck, until a few weeks ago I didn't realize that there was another check past the background check. I thought once you had your concealed permit, you were set to go. Up until now, I had purchased one handgun, prior to getting my permit. Hubby had purchased his handgun, after getting his permit, at a gun show, and brought it home the same day. I should have worded my post differently, and did revise it.

Sat May 16, 2015 10:20 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Are you sure he is not a felon? Does he have a shady past?

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA
Firearms Policy Coalition

Sat May 16, 2015 11:20 pm
Profile WWW

BadKarma wrote:

I'm kind of hoping you're kidding, but I don't sense sarcasm in your post.

Hmm, I would hope if there was a valid reason for him to be delayed, that he would not have been able to purchase a hand gun a few months ago and get his CPL. I have no doubt that the purchase will be approved.

As for any shady past, that's in the past.
[emoji85] [emoji86] [emoji87]

Sat May 16, 2015 11:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LadyShooter wrote:
BadKarma wrote:

Hmm, I would hope if there was a valid reason for him to be delayed, that he would not have been able to purchase a hand gun a few months ago and get his CPL. I have no doubt that the purchase will be approved.

Don't mind BK. If your husband has a CPL, it's fine. Delays happen. I've watched uniformed cops get delays. Maybe the government goon pushing buttons hit the wrong one, or somebody forgot to change the vacuum tubes in the NICS computer, or the hamster running the wheel that keeps the phones on died. It's a government system ran by drones who probably draw a union paycheck and have the sort of work ethic you'd expect from just that sort of thing. Delays aren't that big of a deal unless they start happening every single time. You'll usually get a followup within 24 hours.

I bought a gun, then decided to buy a second gun in the store, but they'd already called in the first gun. I got approved on that, my second gun was a delay. Approved 24 hours later.

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Sat May 16, 2015 11:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LadyShooter wrote:
chasehooks wrote:
Quote:
Edited original post to keep folks from getting their panties in a bunch. Thanks for the tip.

My panties ALWAYS get in a bunch when talking about getting a $250,000 fine! You are correct in saying either parent can purchase the firearm for use by their minor children, since legally it's still the parents. However, if one parent gets delayed or denied and then the other parent attempts to purchase the firearm-that IS a straw purchase! The later you go in, the greater your chance of getting a delay. I've had several customers who've never gotten a delay, especially military members with high level security clearances, come in an hour or 2 before closing and get a delay. I have to explain to them that it's a couple hours later back east and most (or all) of the people (especially with high level security clearances) have gone home for the day.

Good to know! Really, though, I do appreciate the education you (and everyone else here on this forum) are providing. Heck, until a few weeks ago I didn't realize that there was another check past the background check. I thought once you had your concealed permit, you were set to go. Up until now, I had purchased one handgun, prior to getting my permit. Hubby had purchased his handgun, after getting his permit, at a gun show, and brought it home the same day. I should have worded my post differently, and did revise it.

Oh em gosh, before you know it, these guys are going to be telling you what kind of ammo you can and can't put into your firearms in case of s.d. and kurrrrr raaaa zzzzeeee prosecutorz.

Hell, I'll even start.

DO NOT PUT PRO-GUN STICKERS ON YOUR BUMPAHHHHHH.

Asking for a break in or kurrrr raaaa zeee cop!!!!!!

Sat May 16, 2015 11:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

redoubt wrote:
Did he put down his SSN?

I got delayed twice in a row when I didn't put my SSN on the 4473. Ever since then, I've put down my SSN and have had no issues on multiple purchases.

I refuse to put down my SSN. Never been delayed yet.............

Sat May 16, 2015 11:53 pm

UpDog wrote:
Oh em gosh, before you know it, these guys are going to be telling you what kind of ammo you can and can't put into your firearms in case of s.d. and kurrrrr raaaa zzzzeeee prosecutorz.

Hell, I'll even start.

DO NOT PUT PRO-GUN STICKERS ON YOUR BUMPAHHHHHH.

Asking for a break in or kurrrr raaaa zeee cop!!!!!!

s.d.? S_____ discharge? Self defense? I feel like if I just think long and hard enough, I'll get it. But it is 1am so my brain is shutting down.

As for the bumper stickers, already following that gem of advice, thanks! Hehe..

And, thanks for the laugh.

EDIT: love Google. You mean self defense rounds. Duh. Makes sense. [emoji12] I need sleep.

Sun May 17, 2015 12:01 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hoffman, call the patent office, copyright the term "sh*t discharge", I want a quarter everytime someone says it.

Sun May 17, 2015 12:38 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I never got a delay until the State Department pushed a visa through for me to go to Brazil in 72 hours instead of the normal 7 to 9 months… I can set a watch to it ever since then Delay delay delay.

Although my last three purchases at West Coast Armory have been proceeds, so go figure there

Sun May 17, 2015 2:11 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You guys are just a bunch of Felons and Criminals :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Sun May 17, 2015 6:35 am

UpDog wrote:
Hoffman, call the patent office, copyright the term "sh*t discharge", I want a quarter everytime someone says it.

Hahaha omg... I was thinking of the abbreviations AD and ND.. like, what is SD? SD ... "sh*t discharge" I would vote for a glossary definition thusly "when a person thinks they know what they are talking about and can't control the discharge of words from their mouth."
[emoji90] [emoji23] [emoji90] [emoji23] [emoji90] [emoji23]
And this, my friends, is some serious thread drift.

Sun May 17, 2015 7:36 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

LadyShooter wrote:
BadKarma wrote:

Yes, we had the same happen to Marine3%er. We called him a felon for...well still to this day.

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA
Firearms Policy Coalition

Sun May 17, 2015 9:51 am
Profile WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Wife got delayed on her first pistol purchase. It was a Friday afternoon at 3pm. Lazy NICS punks were probably already at the bar.

Sun May 17, 2015 11:26 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've had 7 FFL background checks done in my life time. Delayed every single time. I've also been SIDA cleared at SeaTac airport (multiple federal BGCs) with no problem, so go figure....

I am free because I say I am. My freedom is not dependent on any government benefit or piece of legislation. My rights are inherent in the fact that I was born a sovereign being. They are non-negotiable. The government can list them and protect them, but my rights are not theirs to give away.

Yolo: Because idiots don't know what "carpe diem" means.

What, do you think I`m an amateur? You think this is Amateur hour? I`m covered in broken glass and hatred. You think someone would want to anger that with a Vz? - Fjordforder

Sun May 17, 2015 11:36 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next