Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:59 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 What should I work on next? 

Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and hope this is the appropriate place for my question.

As a beginner, I acquired my G19 last November and have since fired a few hundred rounds at the range, focusing on accuracy from 10 yards. I feel quite satisfied with my progress, though I'm not certain what qualifies as good.

My routine involves positioning the target 10 yards away, aiming, and firing one shot at a time.

My question is: assuming I've reached a satisfactory level of accuracy, what should be the next phase or exercise in my practice? More broadly, is there a guide outlining the various stages of training and the expectations for each?

I've watched numerous YouTube videos, but a) they primarily discuss technique without addressing what constitutes good or bad results, and b) I haven't found the correct sequence for practicing.

If I were to speculate, the next phase should concentrate on speed. This could involve quickly raising the gun, acquiring the target, and firing, or practicing rapid double shots while maintaining stability.

Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:15 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Speed drills are a good step, double taps are pretty much a staple for defensive type shooting. Really you should concentrate on putting a few thousand rounds down range vs the few hundred you say you've done. Nothing beats muscle memory in a stressful situation, so train for what you plan on doing. If you're going to be primarily shooting competitions, shoot slow, well aimed groups. Since you bought a 19 instead of a long slide model, I'm assuming you are carrying for personal defense. Practice drawing from your holster (unloaded at home) until you are confident you can do it in your sleep. Then practice drawing more. Practice in various outfit types (t-shirt, sweater, coat, etc). At the range, start at the ready position and practice quick double taps until you're hitting center mass every time, then combine the drawing/double tap drills. It's also important to practice re-holstering one handed without taking your eyes off the (presumably downed) bad guy.
As far as accuracy goes, anything inside center mass at 10 yards is going to do the job. 7 yards is the typical standard distance, so if you can do it at 10, 7 is easier. You don't need rounds touching to put someone down. Obviously if your goal is competition shooting, you want the opposite and tighter groups are always better.

Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:48 am

Thank you. This is very useful. Yes, I should have added/clarified what my goals are. As you guessed it right, they are for defensive shooting.

Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:03 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Seeing that you are a new to the shooting scene, I would suggest that you take a basic handgun safety class then progress from there with self-defense classes. Cerberus Group is an excellent choice IMHO.
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=11901
What range are you using and what are the rules about drawing from a holster & speed shooting?
If they do not allow it then you need to get out in the woods and practice learned SD tactics.

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:36 am
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Take a classes and get some training. You'll have a better understanding of how you perform with a bit of pressure.

BLACK HAMMER ARMS
07/02 NFA Dealer

http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:16 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Put a picture of FJB up and I'll pretty much guarantee you'll hit it every time. :popcorn:

Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So it all goes to intent and mission.

If you are looking to compete?
Recreational?
Carry and self defense?

All have a differing focus and end point to some degree.

As a beginner. What is good is tough to assess.

Accuracy is paramount but at what cost to speed?

Are you intending to carry?

So, for basics it all about the basics. Can you reload?
Transition drills from low ready to engagement? Multiple target drills.

Don’t do double taps and rapid fire.
Not the best for a beginner and it waste time and energy. You are still learning and if you really don’t know what you’re doing and only shooting faster is typically not the answer.

If you factor every shot cost you about $0.30-$0.65 per round. It gets speedy really fast.

I’m not saying shoot a lot. I’m just saying maximize the learning curve so you aren’t wasting time and energy.

If you want and are able send me a video of you shooting slow. Plus the target like after every 3-5 rounds.

oldkim@aol.com

Reholster unless competing don’t reholster without proper focus. In the context of conceal carry and engagement - don’t reholster until the BG isn’t a threat. Meaning if you have to keep an eye out. One handed reholstering drill isn’t where you want to put your time.

This also goes to what type of holster and where you carry. All variable to consider.

And back on topic. Movement!

I’m biased but shoot on the move.

Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good advice above. There are several different next steps

One easy advancement would be to put the target out to 20-25 yards. Work on being accurate at that distance even though you're more likely to engage a threat at closer range. Once you feel good at the longer distance bring the target back in to 10 yards and see the difference in speed

By improving accuracy and repetition you'll increase speed. Slow is fast

Another option is to time yourself and try to speed up. Fast is fast too

Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think dummy rounds are great tools. Mix one in your magazine so you don't know when it's coming. Have someone else load it or try not to notice where you load it in the mag. This will show you if you're flinching.

Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:59 pm

Lot of good advice in here, but the best thing to do is start with some basic, formal hands-on training, like Cerberus Group or Thunder Ranch in OR, and go from there.

Ignore yoo toob vids unless they're done by SMEs like Kyle Lamb, Pat Macnamara, Dave Spaulding, Paul Howe, Clint Smith, Ben Stoeger, Gabe White, just off top of my head.

Any new technique you're learning should be engrained with lots of dry training at home before hitting the range.

Copious dryfire is essential.

Also, many SMEs on Pistol-Forum.com, with regard to pistol shooting. I've learned alot over there. Much info on standardized drills there, which help drive your performance, and show you what individual skills you need to work on.

Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:23 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Other alternatives.

I really don't stress dry fire for new shooters. Perfect practice makes perfect. Just practicing and now realizing what one isn't doing right and developing a musclue memory of that failed practice... Waste of time and counter productive.

So, Since you have a G19. Have you considered a .22 conversion? Replace upper and magazine - you have a G19 .22

There are a few benefits: The same grip, somewhat cheaper ammo cost??? It does lead down a rabbit hole to find the right .22 ammo and as for cost. .22 is spendy these days. I used to buy .22LR for about $0.03 a round. Now, it's in the range of $0.-06 - $0.12 cents per round.

Depending on what generation of Glock. Make sure if you do get a conversion that it matches your generation/model.

Lastly, lots of advice. It's free.

Just remember that we all try to give you the best advice we can. But, first we all are beginners to some degree. Also just because someone may have 30 years of shooting. If it's all shotgun and rifle and they are giving you advice on pistols. It does make a difference. Also their background - military, police, tacticool to an enthusist will bias their point of view. It's a hard one to detect for a new shooter. But something to be aware if you run into differing points of view on the same question.

Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:35 pm

There's a bunch of solid advice floating around here. Not all of it lines up, but still good stuff :)

I will try to answer some of the question and add additional information.

Yep, I'm thinking about it from a defensive angle, CC is once I feel more on point.

As for accuracy... I'll throw in a snapshot of a recent target from 10 yards at the range. Can I do better? Sure. But I am more worried on how fast I can shoot with roughly similar accuracy as at the moment.... way too slow.
The one showed at the image ... just guessing - 2-3 seconds between shoots. Clearly not acceptable.

(I am shooting groups of 5 and what you see are 4 groups of those 5)
@oldkim - I might take you on your offer and take a video next time I am at the range and send your way.

Yeah, I get it, shooting more is key and I can do what I am doing now for much longer, but I'm also keen on leveling up to the next skill set eventually.

Yes, I can try longer range or I can fire faster or practice on drawing faster and reloading and so on ... so clearly ton of room to grow, I am just trying to think what the next logical step is...

I might check out a training course if I come across something nearby.

Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The biggest is not really what should be the next level but how do I achieve that at the range I’m at.

Especially for conceal carry. Shooting at a regular range doesn’t allow for draw from holster or rapid fire and multiple targets.

So working within the confines of range rules and so forth.

Low ready to shoot. This will key your eye hand coordination to acquire, sight alignment and trigger pull. Low ready is typically just past the edge of the shooting bench. Not aimed at it.

Now the normal response would be to swing like a pendulum while arms are fully extended. Not the method you want. Break it down to a "C" shape.

1) Low ready
2) bring arms up and closer to chest while it rises you start extending. When you bring you arms closer the muzzle should be almost parallel to the ground. Meaning it’s more pointed to backstop.
3) When extending or pushing off the chest you acquire and engage when you have sight picture on target.

Lots going on here.

Also for most shooters with a double/single. Shoot your first shot as a double. It’s tough but for training it gets you used to shooting first shot at double. If it’s striker than this doesn’t apply for G19.

This drill gets close to draw from holster without drawing from holster. The breakdown in sequence allows you to draw at home with an empty gun. Again it goes to what type of holster you have and where you carry it on the body along with clothing etc.

Also you can practice that empty draw while twisting around left and right as you move.

The difficulty of range is lack of movement. You can also incorporate half stepping to left and right as you level up from the low ready.

Lots of baby steps to building muscle memory. Granted if you can afford the level of membership to draw. Then that would be incorporated later.

Hope that helps.

Lastly, great job on using reactive paper targets. Do not shoot at blacked out targets. Most backstops are dark so it’s hard to see the hits. Use several stick ons to give you multiple targets even while it’s not far distances it forces your eye to adjust to a different sight picture.

Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Train to put 5 rounds on a 5 inch target that is 5 yards away, from concealment, in 5 seconds or less, 5 times in a row wthout a miss or shot over time. What you learn on that path is a good basis for defensive shooting skill. It's also a good baseline standard. If, each time you shoot this sequence,your time/accuracy is improving - then, your practice is effective. If you can do it in 3 seconds or less, try it while moving off the x". Then, one handed.

Last edited by quantsuff on Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:20 pm

Obviously, when we say dryfire, we mean purposeful, diligent, correct form dryfire, because yes, only perfect practice makes perfect.

I've heard an NCO from the AMU say your ratio of dry to live should be 100:1. He also emphasized the importance of "holding drills".

Dryfire is the way to ingrain and maintain the fundamentals. Just as important for day one beginner's as for the more experienced.

Me, I'm at my best when I've been dry firing regularly, and at my worst when I've neglected it.

Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]