Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:45 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 13230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 875, 876, 877, 878, 879, 880, 881, 882  Next
 What did you do today in the world of firearms? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You guys are costing me money. Bought a suppressor today.

Studying for my Liberal Arts degree at Evergreen College.

YouTube taught me, just like everybody else.

Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:27 pm

stompah wrote:

Trust or single?

Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Single.

Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Went into a LGS and saw a gun I wanted so bad circa 2012. The Rossi 92 in .454 Casull. Never could get my hands on one, even tried to order one from the factory. Now, with a .450 Bushmaster in the safe (somewhat better ballistics, cheaper to shoot) it doesn't have the same appeal...but it was nice to finally have one in my hands for a little bit.

Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:26 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

stompah wrote:

Ooh ooh, do another!!!

Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:16 pm

Finally had a chance to get out and shoot today!

Did some work on steel with the carbine from 25 to 200 yards, practiced shooting from kneeling, SOTM, and up drills/doubles at 25 yards.

Pistol work at 7 yards, with the G19H I carry everywhere, shot the F.A.S.T. cold as TLG intended. Obviously sluggish as fuck, but at least passed and got clean hits. Told myself "speed is fine, but accuracy is final!". Splits on the circle were in the .40 range!

Did okay on the "Reality Test", a drill I learned from PF.

I'm not dead in the water on pistol, but I see the negative effects of no dry fire for 2 weeks. Need to ramp training back up.

Also happy to report those cheap 8 dollar AC Unity Glock mags continue to run 100%! Those things have been a pleasant surprise.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Finally reunited this gun with its original case. It has been hiding in a gun rug for about 5 years. Finally emptied the safe of all pistols today and found several Maxpedition cases with some weight. Bingo - found the Cajun Gun Works Sphinx SDP Compact.

Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just got me a holster and a mag pouch from Savior Equipment Tactical.
Very impressive quality and very affordable. Highly recommend!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09R9MVS ... prod_image

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0CV3BPZ ... prod_image

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:39 am

I did a little comparison between the speer 125gr tnt and the americanreloading 125gr copper projectiles. Once I get the 300blk built it will be interesting to see how these perform. I do think the bulbus tip on the Americanreloading is kind of goofy, but I bet it's to get them to feed nicely.

Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:42 am

Regular mail guy cleaned up Newman's mess today, so did a little mocking up to get an idea what I'll be dealing with on a 7" 1911. (No, the slide is not on the frame rails, it's fitted to the old and I didn't want to disrupt that re-fitting it!)

To source:
*Slide
*Recoil system
*Trigger
*Barrel link
*Action group
*Optic, mount and cutting for same and BUIS

What have YOU done to defend your gun rights against the idiots in DC and Olympia today?

Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I told myself I would never purchase another firearm in the state of Washington [relocating to Iowa this summer, hopefully] I couldn't resist....Browning Buckmark Plus Stainless UDX......doing the silly ass 10 day waiting period, pictures when I get it.

Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:52 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Gwitness wrote:
I told myself I would never purchase another firearm in the state of Washington [relocating to Iowa this summer, hopefully] I couldn't resist....Browning Buckmark Plus Stainless UDX......doing the silly ass 10 day waiting period, pictures when I get it.

I hear you....

And yeah, I ended up getting another .22 a few months ago. I did a lot of driving between my two trips to the FFL, it's the ultimate in stupidity.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Today was quick trip to the range. This is going to be a LONG post. Sorry in advance.

Quick brief on my S&W saga:

Bought a new 629 and when I got it it has a crooked rear sight and went click no boom (no primer strike.) I sent the gun back to S&W and the click no boom was fixed but not the rear sight. I asked to send back just the rear sight for replacement but was ghosted by customer service. I was moving so I didn't want to send it back. Now that I have moved I sent that gun back and am awaiting it's repair.

Recently Palmetto State Armory had a sale on a 686 6" 357 with Patridge sight for $699 and S&W has a $75 rebate. Against my better judgement I purchased one. It arrived at my FFL with a straight sight and looked "OK" but nothing spectacular.

In the back of my mind I kept saying this purchase was a mistake. And the back of my mind is right. What a hunk of shit this gun is. S&W revolvers are back on my do not buy list (which I will likely invalidate again like a dunce.)

First the black Patridge sight and my eyes don't play the nicest. But that is workable for now. This gun shoots high for me and a shotgun pattern. I didn't have a screw driver with me to adjust the rear sight height, that's on me. But still patterned left to right about 8 inches at 15 feet. Even though I've always been more accurate with my revolvers compared to semi autos let's blame that on me.

What we wont blame on me is the action of this gun. I shot 2 cylinders of 38 Special without issue. Then I switched over to 357 Magnum and the problems began. A few times when pulling back the hammer it encountered resistance after 75% pull. Like there was a piece of rubber that was causing resistance. Which I couldn't overcome so let the hammer back down and pulled it back to the next round. Every cylinder of 357 had this issue mostly once but sometimes twice. One time even after I swung the cylinder open to position it to rotate on the skipped round.

FML, another S&W mistake. I fucked myself knowingly.

I am debating if I should disassemble the gun completely and see if there are any burrs in the action or just ship it back to S&W as is and let them handle it. I am not a gunsmith and sure as shit didn't pay my money again to do fine tuning.

Now onto some better things today.

I brought my Combat Armory Glone to the range. I have been experimenting with my 3D printer and printed up some suppressor height sights. The mistake I made was I printed a small batch of tests sights at normal suppressor height and then modified the file to make them a millimeter or two taller. Well I had a normal suppressor height sight on the back and then threw a taller one on the front. Huge whoopsie. I noticed this right away when aiming at the target for the first time. So I did a 'lil stompah elevation compensation and shot a 5 round mag. Not even close to workable. Then I loaded another 5 rounds and tried using only the green dot. The front sight is way too tall and obstructs the dot. After 10 reliable rounds I put it away.

Then I moved onto my SCT frame lower with Gen 3 23 upper and factory Glock Mag. I had some hiccups. I had the slide lock back after the first round. That was most likely me. But after 10s of thousands of rounds through various semi autos I have never had that happen. But, I will still blame myself. Then I had several failure to feeds. I will have to figure that out.

I recently picked up a Glock 22 Gen 4 from AimSurplus for $270. I intended for this gun to be my carry piece. The gun is in good shape BUT had grease everywhere. I shot it as is when I got it then decided to tear it down clean it and put it in my holster. I wasn't in the mood for a detailed strip. I wiped it as best as I could. I then stuck a Glock Performance Trigger in it for fun. Then decided to clean all the grease out a few days ago. Grease was in the firing pin channel, the extractor had old grease backed in it, it was all down the inside of the frame. This cop loved his grease. It was reminiscent of my Mosin Nagant and it's cosmoline.

I have a 17 Gen 4 slide assembly with stock plastic sights. I decided to give that a go first. The trigger is awesome! I thought it would be a slight improvement when shooting but it was night and day for me. At 15 feet I had 1-2 groups. None were down and left like can happen when I shoot.

Then I swapped back to the 22 slide. Not as accurate. Now in about 2-3" groups but shooting slightly high and left. What was comical to me is one 5 round mag I put a hole 9 o'clock, 10 o'clock and then 11 o'clock. The next mag I put a hole at 9:15, 10:15 and 11:15. In that sequence. What are the odds? That cracked me up and made my day end better.

Lesson learned, S&W current production revolvers suck. I really wanted a Shield Plus in 30 Super Carry if the mag ban goes away or we have a vacation. Now it's looking like I'll pick up another Glock or Springfield. Expensive trash guns.

Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:28 pm

Well the mag injunction just happened so you might be able to get mags for the Shield. That round isn't proven yet though.

Holy grief, sad day when you're talking about S&W revolvers and it sounds like you're describing Taurus. Although I did own a Taurus revolver, and it was just fine.

I'd say have somebody else shoot the new revolver, isolate yourself, for the accuracy. Eliminate yourself as a variable. Does sound like something's not right with the internals though.

Good score on the G22. Love AIM Surplus. Got one of their slides riding on the gun I'm carrying right now.

Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bought a new 4" Colt Anaconda yesterday. Smoothest, almost silky,
factory revolver action I have ever tried. Now the really irritating wait.
I mean, is it likely the wait stimulates thefts?

"I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." - Robert Heinlein

Resistance to tyranny is always justified.

Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 875, 876, 877, 878, 879, 880, 881, 882  Next