Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:54 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 13184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 471, 472, 473, 474, 475, 476, 477 ... 879  Next
 What did you do today in the world of firearms? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TINCANBANDIT wrote:
I finished a butt stock for a friend, I fitted a new butt pad, then sanded the stock, filled the grain and gave it 4 coats of oil, hard to get a good picture indoors...

That is beautiful! I'm definitely using your method when I get ready to finish a couple of stocks.

Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:50 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yesterday Sierra did a compare of 100 gr bullets. The Sierra bullets blew away the Remington (both 100gr) using BLC(2) powder same grain charge. No photos of targets, but I know what bullet I'm using in the future....Sierra!

It was Savage day with my buddy Bob (who bought 9- 308's from Norm's collection)
He brought two, I brought 3. Fun day at the range experimenting with various hand loads, box ammo/calibers (.308, .300, .250) and seeing what scopes worked best with their match ups that Norm had picked out.
Two Tasco scopes were put in the trash after today's excursion. :)

The H-335 sure does put out a fireball, but it beat the box Remington .308 round for accuracy. (last still photo)

Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

fired my AR9 and my 308, figured out a new company to hate

Yaki's - last journey

Promote a Growth Mindset. Don't let a fixed mindset not allow change for the better.

pow·er trip - noun - a self-aggrandizing quest for ever-increasing control over others.

Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Planning ahead to take a course to refresh my defensive/tactical shotgun skills. I've been through the whole shotgun series at FAS (highly recommended btw) but am now getting rusty.

So I picked up a couple doo-dads for securing spare rounds.
SOE Velcro Backed 12ga Shotgun Cards (5 Round)
https://www.originalsoegear.com/products/velcro-backed-12ga-shotgun-card

I'll keep one pasted on the side of my shotty receiver and the other four stashed away in these beauties:
http://zulunylongear.com/m4double.html

First time using shotty cards. Looking forward to see how they work out.

Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:38 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

decided to take the sd3g out of baby poppy cause he likes to ride the burp.

ets mag follower broke

Yaki's - last journey

Promote a Growth Mindset. Don't let a fixed mindset not allow change for the better.

pow·er trip - noun - a self-aggrandizing quest for ever-increasing control over others.

Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:38 am

Picked up my copper ar15 trade in. The bcg looks like it's barely used and the outside is beat up just like I wanted. Not bad for 450 bucks Image Image

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

^Nice pick-up. I grabbed a police trade-in Mini-14 stainless with wood furniture a couple years ago. The wood was beat up but it was spotless on the inside. I just replaced the wood with a synthetic stock. I think that's pretty typical of LEO long guns; they get tossed around a lot, but they don't get fired much.

Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Purchased a Marlin 1894 .44 magnum lever action with JM marked barrel, 20" barrel "Soft Lever Spring" kit, quick take down knob on lever and spare Marlin-made carrier. The JM is the most sought after Marlin. When Remington took over manufacturing of Marlin the quality went downhill I am told.

My cookie jar money is just about dried up now!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:23 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sportsdad60 wrote:
Purchased a Marlin 1894 .44 magnum lever action with JM marked barrel, 20" barrel "Soft Lever Spring" kit, quick take down knob on lever and spare Marlin-made carrier. The JM is the most sought after Marlin. When Remington took over manufacturing of Marlin the quality went downhill I am told.

My cookie jar money is just about dried up now!

The dark years were 2007-2012. There were guns with JM marked barrels clear into at least 2010, though they were owned by Freedom Group/Remington. The newer guns seem to be fine and little different than the ones made right before the takeover.

Apologize ahead of time if yours was made 2007-2010 timeframe :cheers2:

Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:34 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They measure the quality of when the factory moved. (Workers did a knowledge transfer, then laid off)
What year did the factory/production line move?

Edit: Never mind, found my answer: "In March 2010, Marlin announced that it would close its North Haven plant, and move the work to Remington plants in Ilion, New York, and Mayfield, Kentucky."

Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just ordered an Easy Jig Gen 2, tool kit, Hand drill stabilizer bars, 2 80% Billet lowers and a Dewalt hand router.
https://www.80percentarms.com/collectio ... -lower-jig

The Kid and I will be busy over the Holidays :thumbsup2:

Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:17 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sportsdad60 wrote:
They measure the quality of when the factory moved.

True. The guns made in the Marlin plant, even after the sale of the company, were better than the first couple years of Remington production which was gawdawful.

Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Classic wrote:
I just ordered an Easy Jig Gen 2, tool kit, Hand drill stabilizer bars, 2 80% Billet lowers and a Dewalt hand router.

Those are nice. Works good.

From a blog: Political Correctness - the belief that one can pick up a turd by the clean end.

Benjamin Franklin: It is the (civic) responsibility of every citizen to question authority.

Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

danoh wrote:
Classic wrote:

Those are nice. Works good.

Not cheap by the time I bought the router and tools but I got a decent deal on the Billet lowers ($59.99).
I did a ton of research and everything I've seen on the web (Youtube) makes this look like the best jig available. They are claiming under 45 minutes to finish a lower.
I cant believe endmills are $40 a crack, I'm going to have to find a local source

Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hkcavalier wrote:
sportsdad60 wrote:
They measure the quality of when the factory moved.

True. The guns made in the Marlin plant, even after the sale of the company, were better than the first couple years of Remington production which was gawdawful.

iThat whole "Knowledge Transfer" to replacement employees never goes as planned especially when employees KNOW they're going to be laid off.
This is happening right now at Boeing with the IT transformation to India. I only got 35 weeks left to retirement and the only meaningful knowledge transfer I'm offer up is tips for reloading which India personal have no idea.....

Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 471, 472, 473, 474, 475, 476, 477 ... 879  Next