Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:48 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 13234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 876, 877, 878, 879, 880, 881, 882, 883  Next
 What did you do today in the world of firearms? 

ViniVidivici wrote:
Well the mag injunction just happened so you might be able to get mags for the Shield. That round isn't proven yet though.

Never mind, the domestic enemy shitstains just killed it.

Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Elucidate please.

"I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." - Robert Heinlein

Resistance to tyranny is always justified.

Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:47 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

From the Seattle Times....4-8-2024. 5:40pm

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne ... itutional/

"Attorney General Bob Ferguson filed an emergency appeal to the state Supreme Court, seeking to get the law back on the books. Michael Johnston, the Washington State Supreme Court commissioner, granted an emergency stay Monday evening, keeping the ban in effect, for now.

Johnston wrote that he considered “the debatable nature of the factual and legal issues raised in this case, and the public safety issues concerning the proliferation of large capacity magazines.”

Nitro Products
FFL Dealer
SOT Dealer

Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ViniVidivici wrote:
Holy grief, sad day when you're talking about S&W revolvers and it sounds like you're describing Taurus. Although I did own a Taurus revolver, and it was just fine.

I'd say have somebody else shoot the new revolver, isolate yourself, for the accuracy. Eliminate yourself as a variable. Does sound like something's not right with the internals though.

Good score on the G22. Love AIM Surplus. Got one of their slides riding on the gun I'm carrying right now.

Are you saying I have weak thumbs? :thumbsup2:

I cannot imagine a cylinder not rotating properly be the fault of the shooter. I've shot so many revolvers and never had an issue like this. Still blaming S&W fully.

Remember, I fell on the sword for thumbing the slide release on the SCT G19. So if I felt it was me I'd admit to it.

There is just TOO much wrong with these guns from S&W. The 629 had the sight issue, trigger issue, funky buffing and before I sent it back to the factory this second time I noticed a chip where the frame meets the side plate (verified it was there in a picture I took when I first noticed the crooked rear sight.) Now this 686 cannot make it through a box of factory ammo without multiple faults?

I shot the crap out of my Ruger SP101 and didn't have near this many faults in a 10,000+ round gun. And that sucker got fed everything from dirty Trail Boss loads to top of the load range BOOMERS. That gun ate at least 1,000 of Magtech's nickel plated 158 soft point 357 Magnum that they no longer make (or I cannot find it locally or online), that load was a tooth rattler in that little frame. Maybe closer to 2,000+ of those Magtechs since they were so much fun to shoot.

corpsman wrote:
Bought a new 4" Colt Anaconda yesterday. Smoothest, almost silky,
factory revolver action I have ever tried. Now the really irritating wait.
I mean, is it likely the wait stimulates thefts?

I have a new 4" Colt Python. I just haven't brought myself to shoot it yet. I doubt it will rise in value ahead of inflation. But, I am sure my son will like it in 30ish years. Right before I picked up the 629 I held an Anaconda at Ben's Loans. I decided not to buy it, it was so pretty. Then I got the itch for a shooter 44Mag and that's how I ended up with the 629. In hindsight I should have dropped the $500-600 more for the Snake Gun.

I will end up buying it's bigger brother soon.

Studying for my Liberal Arts degree at Evergreen College.

YouTube taught me, just like everybody else.

Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:27 pm

Naw, you're right, it's not you, it's the gun.

I meant.....when I've had accuracy questions about a particular gun, I want another shooter to run it, to eliminate me as the variable.

Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ViniVidivici wrote:
Naw, you're right, it's not you, it's the gun.

I meant.....when I've had accuracy questions about a particular gun, I want another shooter to run it, to eliminate me as the variable.

For the moment I'm caring less about the accuracy and more about the function of the gun. But it is concerning because even the crooked sight 629 grouped better.

I am not sure if I'll have time tomorrow to tear the gun down. But if I do I'll report back if I find anything amiss.

Then I'll put it back together and if I can make it this weekend I'll bring it.

Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I didn't do anything but open up my email this morning. I got an alert that my 629 has been shipped back to me this morning.

Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:20 am

Fingers crossed!

Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:42 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry to hear about all the struggles! As a S&W collector, it's disheartening that they've pretty much become a parts assembly outfit with little to no QC. The Colts aren't perfect and have had their own teething issues, but the current crop of S&Ws are essentially unchanged from the introduction of CNC frames, MIM parts, and of course the internal lock...all well over 20 years ago. Plenty of time to sort everything out, no?

I have S&W revolvers from every era going back to the 1910s. Best period seems to be the 1930s, I imagine they had the luxury of only keeping the best workers during the Depression, and those guys were pretty motivated to keep their jobs. 1950s were also very good, things got kind of shoddy during the Bangor Punta era and cranking out magnums during the 70s, but once Dirty Harry was done, most of the LE contracts ended, and revolvers became enthusiast guns, the quality began to improve again in the late 80s/90s. Even my 2000s guns are pretty good if you don't mind the lock. But S&W refuses to make new guns for real aficionados with high standards for quality, so Colt and even Nighthawk/Korth have aggressively jumped into this space.

Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:45 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I started to take apart the 686 today. I got to the main spring screw and I have a Goldilocks situation. 1 screwdriver is too big, the other is too small. I don't want to mess up the screw.

I decided to just take the side plate off and see how it looked inside. Everything looked ok. No errant piece of metal jamming anything up and had oil.

If I make it out this weekend I'll bring it. If we can figure it out that would be nice. If not we can always use it to hammer some nails to hold up our targets.

Yeah, the level of frustration has me close to making a nice matching hammer set. LoL

Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:49 am

I took the shotgun up to the pit this afternoon to try patterning the chokes and the Winchester XR #6 shells. It turned into a painful lesson in aggravation. The new Carlson choke made specifically for the XR shells shot a bit high and to left almost 8" regardless of top or bottom barrel. Stuck the factory full choke in and it was the same amount of high, but it was dead center in both barrels. Aftermarket parts can be so damn disappointing sometimes. The real unfortunate thing is that the Carlson choke definitely had the tighter pattern at 40yrds but the factory wasn't to bad.

Not sure what to do the Carlson choke now....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Stuck a new bolt stop / ejector onto my weirdo Turkish Mauser scout rifle thingy. It appears that the old one got stolen when the house was broken into along with God only knows what else. Pretty glad all the guns were moved out by that point.

Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:27 pm

Picked up my new scope for the 6mm ARC build. Been saving since before covid to have an upper tier scope. When I found out about these limited all black gen3 razors I had to have it vs the normal bronze. This is why I keep telling Dreadi I have to recover for a bit before going for suppressors. Now I just need to settle on a scope mount and it's time for final assembly.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

American Rifle Company makes a great 1-piece mount for the price and you'll be supporting local. I have several rings and a two 1-piece mounts from them one of the 1-piece mounts is waiting for a scope, thinking the same Vortex Razor you got from Eurooptic or Schmidt-Bender 5-45x56 or 6-36x56 depending on the raise/bonus this year.

Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:31 pm

BlDtyLry wrote:
American Rifle Company makes a great 1-piece mount for the price and you'll be supporting local. I have several rings and a two 1-piece mounts from them one of the 1-piece mounts is waiting for a scope, thinking the same Vortex Razor you got from Eurooptic or Schmidt-Bender 5-45x56 or 6-36x56 depending on the raise/bonus this year.

Those rings are highly recommended along with several others like spuhr. I was really surprised how many people weren't running the SB scopes. Seams lile the top 3 were Vortex Razor, Nightforce Atacr, and the zero compromise.

Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 13234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 876, 877, 878, 879, 880, 881, 882, 883  Next