Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:05 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Arm brace solutions for tall guys 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is a great tool for supporting a pistol with one arm.

Sent from my Motorola Flip phone.

Last edited by Fungunnin on Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why did you just post this after I ordered a new pistol tube :angryfire: :angryfire:

Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The brace was approved as designed... any modification subjects it to a different ruling... just saying...

If the intent of the mod is to facilitate shouldering, that's going to be interesting if the ATF would rule it as a stock

Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As I said I'm just adjusting it for guys with long arms so the cuff lands on the meaty part of my forearm .... ;-)

Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

XDM9cWA wrote:
The brace was approved as designed... any modification subjects it to a different ruling... just saying...

If the intent of the mod is to facilitate shouldering, that's going to be interesting if the ATF would rule it as a stock

This was my thought also. I'd be careful.

Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fungunnin wrote:
As I said I'm just adjusting it for guys with long arms so the cuff lands on the meaty part of my forearm .... ;-)

Fair enough... but as you have seen with 80% lowers, the atf can view creativity as skirting the law

Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I applaud your.... creativity. However, I would not have posted any of this.

"For I have always lived violently, drunk hugely, eaten too much or not at all, slept around the clock or missed two nights of sleeping, worked too hard and too long in glory, or slobbed for a time in utter laziness. I’ve lifted, pulled, chopped, climbed, made love with joy and taken my hangovers as a consequence, not as a punishment."
-- John Steinbeck
"Experience is one thing you can't get for nothing."
-- Oscar Wilde
"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one."
-- Marcus Aurelius
"Now I'm off to check out Drew's dick."
-- MadPick

Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Im 100% on this but I dont think theres anything wrong with using that stock for a pistol there was a thread on this at one time . and I know there are several local gun shops cutting them like that and selling them . But like I said I dont know for sure

Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Marine3%er wrote:
Im 100% on this but I dont think theres anything wrong with using that stock for a pistol there was a thread on this at one time . and I know there are several local gun shops cutting them like that and selling them . But like I said I dont know for sure

the consensus on other forums is if the brace does not stick out past the receiver extension then it's probably ok...

but if the brace is way past the buffer tube, then it can be argued that the purpose of the product is not that of a brace but of a stock... as it significantly extends the buffer tube length past that of the original tube..

in the end, this is a gray area of the law that is being toed with a line...

I personally will toe the line as it was laid out... being creative means you can land on the other side of the line, a risk I am not going to be taking..

it would be nice if somebody sent a letter to teh ATF asking ofr an opinion on the extended brace and get a ruling on that setup.. but as it is, the opinion on the product was based on the specs of the product submitted to the ATF that shows the brace flush against the back of the receiver...

not a lawyer, so this is my 2 cents.. this may be perfectly legal, but I won't be the test case and I'd prefer none of our members here become one either...

Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:18 pm

I just got one for an AK and it is far too short to even think about shouldering it. The back of the receiver would break your nose because you are right on top of the receiver.

Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:34 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Everyone is over reacting.

Making the brace more comfortable doesn't change the intent. Yea it's murky water to create your own thing, but unless he's going everywhere and showing off how shouldering is so easy now that he's modded it, who would know how he's using it. If you have one of these braces, you know they're not the most comfortable things.

Too many fear mongers and arm chair ATF agents on the net....

"A nation grown free in a single day is a child born with the limbs and the vigour of a man, who would take a drawn sword for his rattle, and set the house in a blaze that he might chuckle over the splendour." Sydney Smith (1771-1845)
Spoiler: show
NOW YOU DID IT...
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:59 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A.Oster wrote:
Everyone is over reacting.

Making the brace more comfortable doesn't change the intent. Yea it's murky water to create your own thing, but unless he's going everywhere and showing off how shouldering is so easy now that he's modded it, who would know how he's using it. If you have one of these braces, you know they're not the most comfortable things.

Too many fear mongers and arm chair ATF agents on the net....

Be the test case then....

The item was approved as per the product provided to the atf... pure and simple...

Any modification makes it a modified product subject to a different ruling... this is not fear mongering or over reacting... just making people aware that the atf letter covers the item as designed...and installed per the manufacturers specifications.

Just making sure people are aware of the potential risks.... it may be legal, but that is subject to the atf ruling it as such..

Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:06 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You do know that the only thing approved was the rubber part right? The adapter for an AK and the tube for the AR were not part of it. Therefore, by your reasons ing, even putting it on a tube of any kind not provided to the ATF is essentially using modded...

Don't hype up the paranoia. If you don't like it, don't use it. I hate it when naysayers try to get people paranoid over what ifs and oh-noes.

"A nation grown free in a single day is a child born with the limbs and the vigour of a man, who would take a drawn sword for his rattle, and set the house in a blaze that he might chuckle over the splendour." Sydney Smith (1771-1845)
Spoiler: show
NOW YOU DID IT...
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:45 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did I miss the picture.

Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:44 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes pictures have been removed. Last thing I want is some Prius driving do gooder forwarding pictures to the ATF.

Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next