Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 1:56 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 1036 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70  Next
 Garand Propaganda 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

National Park Service article about Garand serial numbers. From the Springfield Armory
National Historic Site.

https://www.nps.gov/spar/learn/historyculture/u-s-m1-garand-rifle-production.htm

"I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." - Robert Heinlein

Resistance to tyranny is always justified.

Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:43 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A accurate assessment of Garand sights by a WW2 re-en-actor

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/boLYW_tIVVw?t=9&feature=share

"I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." - Robert Heinlein

Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re-en-actor treatment of the "Tanker Garand".

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/gIqDKBorh4Q?t=9&feature=share

Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mantis-X training system bayonet log mounting system for the Garand and M14.

https://www.creedmoorsports.com/product/creedmoor-sports-m1-m1a-mount-for-mantis-x-training-system

Fri Nov 24, 2023 3:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thus sayeth the M1 Garand.

Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How Garand's Rifle Became the M1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hahxynFvYc4&t=93s

Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Loading the CLIP.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/NA13z2zj2Qc?feature=share

Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, you can top off a partly loaded enbloc clip in the magazine. Easy.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/8adtzbjrVDc?t=7&feature=share

Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:16 am

That's pretty cool, but you'd think he'd have already had a round chambered, if he was topping off.

I guess you'd have to catch that one, then put it in the clip along with the fresh rounds.

Was it common practice for soldiers to keep some loose rounds in a pouch just for this purpose? Would seem to make sense.

Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ViniVidivici wrote:
That's pretty cool, but you'd think he'd have already had a round chambered, if he was topping off.

I guess you'd have to catch that one, then put it in the clip along with the fresh rounds.

Was it common practice for soldiers to keep some loose rounds in a pouch just for this purpose? Would seem to make sense.

I doubt such a practice was common. Getting to and loading such rounds would take to much time in combat. I see the practice as more of a minor situational convenience. It was common to unload a clip with 4 or 5 rounds and replace with a fully loaded one. Faster than single loading rounds. At some later point in time when reloading clips with loose rounds is not a dangerous distraction. The essential goal is to utilize the rapid reload capacity of the Garand. Will say it again. The Garand is the fastest reloading battle rifle. I suppose I am dating myself when I realize how few people understand that reality in this time. I have astounded many younger folks demonstrating the reloading speed of the Garand.

Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

En bloc and stripper clip versatility.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/NXEVNN-QDcU?t=35&feature=share

Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:32 am

corpsman wrote:
ViniVidivici wrote:

I doubt such a practice was common. Getting to and loading such rounds would take to much time in combat. I see the practice as more of a minor situational convenience. It was common to unload a clip with 4 or 5 rounds and replace with a fully loaded one. Faster than single loading rounds. At some later point in time when reloading clips with loose rounds is not a dangerous distraction. The essential goal is to utilize the rapid reload capacity of the Garand. Will say it again. The Garand is the fastest reloading battle rifle. I suppose I am dating myself when I realize how few people understand that reality in this time. I have astounded many younger folks demonstrating the reloading speed of the Garand.

That IS a logical assumption, it'd be like a modern rifle automatically ejecting the magazine on bolt lock, would be very conducive to speed.

We need to do some shooting together at some point, demonstrate these concepts in some drills.

I know I've used the shot timer on rifle reloads at some point, but can't remember the times. Need to do that again soon. I don't practice my reloads near enough though, need to get back on that! Usually just going for fast BUT smooth...

Maybe you can come to our next shoot, we'll probably do another one soon. We had a good time doing drills and excercises last time, in September.

Patton was definitely right about the Garand at the time.

ETA: it occurs to me however, that using a Garand, you have to reload 4-5 times more often than with a modern rifle.

Sat Dec 30, 2023 1:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ViniVidivici wrote:
corpsman wrote:
ViniVidivici wrote:

That IS a logical assumption, it'd be like a modern rifle automatically ejecting the magazine on bolt lock, would be very conducive to speed.

We need to do some shooting together at some point, demonstrate these concepts in some drills.

I know I've used the shot timer on rifle reloads at some point, but can't remember the times. Need to do that again soon. I don't practice my reloads near enough though, need to get back on that! Usually just going for fast BUT smooth...

Maybe you can come to our next shoot, we'll probably do another one soon. We had a good time doing drills and excercises last time, in September.

Patton was definitely right about the Garand at the time.

ETA: it occurs to me however, that using a Garand, you have to reload 4-5 times more often than with a modern rifle.

Well.... This is complex. What is the primary design function of the platform? In the case of the Garand and other full power semi-auto battle rifles it is suppressive fire, at range plus. That calls for regular, steady, uninterrupted fire at 3 to 5 seconds per round on seen targets. In that, the Garand has been more effective than external magazine rifles due to regularity of fire. Speed of reload. This applies to the frequency of reload issue. That is, the interruption of fire regularity associated with external magazines is a problem. Keeping the enemies head down is essential to maneuver. I have seen many videos showing riflemen dropping their 20 round mags to speed up reload. A bad idea. NEVER did that with the M14. There are other aspects of course. How to deal with human wave attacks. Check out what happened in Korea, Garand vs. AK and SKS. Close quarters. No doubt sub-caliber rifles have an advantage when clearing tight spaces... unless one uses the Garand with M2AP to shoot through walls, armor vests and engine blocks.

Regarding your shoot, let me know.

Sun Dec 31, 2023 5:52 pm

Roger that, why it's so important for members of a fire team to communicate, and "talk" their guns together, so to speak.

When I tell "RELOADING", I expect the guy beside me to keep up the fire, and vice versa.

The continuity of fire in the suppression role or in a support by fire position certainly had merit.

Agreed, the actions at the Chosin Reservoir are the stuff of immortal legend.

Sun Dec 31, 2023 10:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://fb.watch/pkBv6NjElH/

"I'm.. uh.. two year older than dirt".

Tue Jan 02, 2024 9:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1036 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70  Next