Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:28 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 1036 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 70  Next
 Garand Propaganda 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jackass wrote:
We found an M1 Garand in Afghanistan (see upper left)

to know the history on that rifle would be damn cool.

Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." - Robert Heinlein

Resistance to tyranny is always justified.

Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hickock45's part 2, M1 Garand, from August.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwLyViUAN6E

"I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." - Robert Heinlein

Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVG_fWYD67o

From 0.39 to 0.50 the vlogger demonstrates, exactly, the best and design method for loading a clip in the magazine. He did it very slowly, taking about 9 seconds. A trained rifleman can do the same in less than 2 seconds, repeatedly. He vigorously retracts the op rod to lock back. After setting the clip on the rails he uses his thumb to push in the clip until it clicks in place. No placing the blade of the hand in front of the op rod handle. It simply is not necessary.

Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swVBqDrn5ZU

Shave like a man.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:12 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

February 1942 Winchester, restored by DGR Guns.

Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:24 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Article posted on KISSATA by Garand69, 9 July 2005

Note, many of the posted price points are obsolete. After 8 years of Obummer, who is surprised?

http://mscg.yuku.com/topic/1473/The-M1-Garand-for-Homeland-Defense

The M1 Garand for Homeland Defense

Jul 9 05 1:27 PM

The M1 Garand For Homeland Defense

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Purpose of post:
To inform the forum membership about the validity of the M1 Garand when incorporated into a CIDG based on the reasons why I chose it. These reasons have several roots, some personal opinion, some personal experience, and some just plain fact. I hope that this post is informitive to those who have not settled on an MBR yet or are considering moving up to a larger caliber.

What this post is not:
I am not in any way shape or form starting a "My rifle is better than your rifle" controversy that will waste everyones time and energy. While my opinions are strong, they are only my opinions. I am in no way trying to convert anyone, so if you feel that your rifle is the greatest rifle on the planet, wonderful, keep using it.

Some Background:
My background with firearms starts with my Grandfather and while I admit I don't blindly agree with everything he said, I do believe that his reasoning is what has shaped my opinions on firearms. He was a "Lifer" in the U.S. Military starting his service in 1941 (Pacific Theater) and retiring in 1981, and he was a competitive High Power Rifle shooter and Bullseye Pistol shooter for the majority of those years. Personally I think his opinion was more than qualified.
While he was always an avid collector of firearms he always said that all anybody ever needed was 5-6 guns in 4 calibers to do anything that could possibly come up in north america. They were 2 pistols, .22lr & .45acp, two rifles, .22lr & 30-06, and one shotgun, 12ga. He also taught me to always count the rounds as I shoot them. He would often stop me in midstream while shooting and ask how many rounds I had left, and that answer better be right! It was drilled so much that I always count rounds to this day, I even find myself doing it with my Ruger No 1 single shot, it is just habit ( more on round counting later). I am also a NRA certified Rifle instructor, an NRA certified Range Safety Officer, I started a gun club in 2003, I host monthly matches (pistol oct-apr, rifle apr-oct.) and I attend High Power/Service Rifle matches 2-3 times per year. Enough about me, lets get to the rifle.

Why The M1 Garand?

#1 Battle proven in every concievable weather condition in 2 major conflicts. Desert war in Africa, Tropical war in the Pacific, Bitter cold in Europe, Aleutions, and Korea etc. etc. etc. No other U.S. issued Semi Auto or Selective fire MBR has seen every weather condition on such a large scale.

#2 Low parts count. While a low parts count alone does not make somthing more reliable, it does have a major benifit in regards to Murphy's Law. The only MBR that has fewer parts than the M1's 62 total is the M14's 61 total. The FAL has 143, the AR has 119, the HK91 has 92

#3 It's not a clone. If that statement offends you, go back to the top where it says "what this post is not". It is a personal opinion of mine that "clones" are NOT the same as the military issued rifle that they pretend to be. If you think a cheap clone is suitable for defending your life fine, but I would not use one for that purpose. The high end clones such as those from DSA or Springfield Armory are excellent rifles, BUT, they are still parts kits on new receivers, in SA's case a cast receiver, and they are NOT battle proven on a large scale. Sure the design is, but the rifle is not. There is not one clone company that I have not heard complaints about at one point or another.

#4 Loved by soldiers that were issued it. I am very active with the American Legion and have discussed the subject with several vets from WWII through Desert Storm. I have never met a US GI that did not love his M1 Garand. That cannot be said about the M-16 platform or the M-14 (Though the only complaints about the M-14 that I have heard was in full auto).

#5 Effective Combat Range & Accuracy. It is hard to beat an M1 when it comes to combat range & accuracy. While the action on the M1 is not the most accurate design, compared to say the way an M-16 action locks up, the excellent sights coupled with a long sight radius and excellant trigger really add to the combat accuracy. While the 30-06 cartridge lethality stretches past the 7.62X51 a solid 100-150 yards. Now please understand I am talking combat, not match shooting. Yes your National Match M-1A or AR is more accurate BUT that tight match chamber is not suitable for combat because it reduces reliablity. I don't care if you have put 1000 rounds through it at the range with never a malfunction, as soon as you put it in a combat (ie dirty) environment you will have problems. So lets compare apples to apples, mil-spec chambers to mil-spec chambers etc. etc.

#6 Cost. The M1 is one of the cheapest MBRs out there. Again let's compare apples to apples. Cheap clones are cheap clones, As a citizen of the USA you can't buy REAL M14's, FAL's, HK91's etc unless you have the money and license to own selective fire weapons and live in a state that let's you have them. The selective fire part isn't the real issue because I feel it is useless from a militia standpoint, but the "REAL" part is an issue. For the cost of a high end clone FAL or M1A you can buy 3 service grade M1s or 5 rack Grade M1s from the CMP http://www.odcmp.com/ . Are they perfect? of course not, but they are ready for action with some cleaning. If you bought 5 rack grades and picked the best three and sold two for $400-450.00ea that is alot of ammo and spare parts.

#7 No Magazines. The 8rd enbloc clip is always a been a reason for people to bash the M1. That bashing is really unjustified, especially in a homeland defense sense. Why? In any semi-auto firearm that uses a detachable magazine, the source of most feeding problems stems from the magazine itself. The M1 clip can be reused indefinately whereas detachable mags wear out and need springs replaced and mag lips recontured. Good magazines are not cheap (M1-A) plus you will need stripper clips and a mag charger for the balance of your combat load anyway. Another interesting thing about the M1 clip is its weight, 40 rounds of 30-06 in (5) M1 clips weigh less than 40 rounds of .308 in (2) 20 round M14 magazines. Now I have been hearing the weight issue as an excuse to choose the .223 over .308 for years and so have you, so I will use it to favor the M1 here. Not only is it lighter it also takes up less room, you can fit (6) 8rd M1 clips in an M16 mag pouch were as you can only fit (2) 20 round M14 mags. and that 48 rounds of '06 still weighs less! The 8 round limit is not much of an issue in a militia sense, I don't forsee human wave tactics being used against the militia, and 8rnds are alot easier to count than 20. While I've heard reccomendations about putting tracers a few rounds from the bottom of a mag so that you know you have only "X" rounds left but I don't care to use tracers to mark my position, I would rather use them to mark the enemies position for my team when I choose to. I also use 8 round 1911 clips in my combat load which makes remembering even easier. If you shoot and manuever the M1 will not be much of a disadvantage. Now about that pesky M1 clip ejecting to god knows where, that is easily fixed with a Holbrook Thumbsaver. This device can be added to an M1 with no permanent modifications. The clever device keeps the clip in the rifle after the last shot, you eject it manually by depressing the clip ejector on the left side of the rifle. It also holds the bolt open after you reload, to close the bolt you pull it back just like the M14 (hence the thumbsaver moniker), and last but not least you can top off with loose ammo. That neat and reliable little device fixes the 2nd biggest problem with the M1, The biggest problem with the M1 to me is scope mounting I don't have a scope on mine because of it, but if I do scope an M1 I will driill the barrel for a scout mount. I don't like offset scopes and "no gunsmith" mounts.

#8 Ammunition. The unmodified M1 prefers mil spec ammo(as do most MBRs), but, with an adjustable gas plug you can shoot anything from 110gr to 220gr bullets you just have to experiment a little. Availability is everywhere, I see Korean Arsenal (1970's mfr) advertised for 384 rounds in clips and bandoliers for $79.00 (sometimes less). This is reloadable brass not throw away. For good reloadable .308 surplus in strippers and bandoliers (if you can even find it) your paying about the same or a couple pennys less. AP and Tracer are readily available.

#9 Virtually Ambidextrious. Safety in center, ejects up, loads from top. I'm right handed but in a militia sense you should be able to easily use your rifle weak handed.

In summary I hope you have benifited from this post. If you have never shot an M1 before you owe it to yourself to do so, you would be suprised how easy it is to hit long range targets with it and how mild the recoil is. There are CMP M1 clinics all over the country and they supply the rifle and ammo. My idea of possible conflicts involve 400+ yard harassment and scout/DM situations and the M1 fits that role well. While I love the M-1A I just can't justify the cost (unless I find one below market). Also if you have to have a .308, you can rebarrel an M1 and still be well under the cost of a DSA FAL or SA M1-A. As a man on a budget it's my best choice. Just my $.52 worth.

Here are some M1 Garand links to further your research.........

http://www.snipercountry.com/Art...rand_I.asp
http://www.dav32.com/feeding.html
http://www.memorableplaces.com/m...outus.html
http://www.m1garandrifle.com/
http://www.garandflash.com/

Garand69

Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

good stuff! #9 is one of the big reasons why I love garands, as I shoot rifle lefty.

Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Regarding the impact of the sound of the Garand clip being ejected.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8E8nGbVHnU

Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:21 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 1036 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 70  Next