Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 4:18 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The M4 is DEAD. Long Live the XM7! 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

(exclamation points for dramatic effect)

The 101st Airborne got their first shipment of the XM7. 9.8lbs of grunt loving, 6.8 x 51 shooting (.277 Fury) SIG engineering.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/202 ... apons.html

They better start building soldiers bigger. That shit looks heavy, too.

https://www.zerohedge.com/military/m-16 ... ult-rifles

So... who here's first to buy? I think Pablo got into the 6.8 a few years back and then sold it? Expensive?

It's only a buck sixty per round. icon_eek

Don't worry, they had plans for a civilian model:

I think SIG hired a bunchnof extras from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang to market their guns:

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:45 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I dunno... whenever I see "SIG engineering" or just the name "SIG", I no like. I don't know what I have against them but that's one company that just doesn't do it for me.

Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Eh, fighting the last war as usual. LSCO with China, North Korea, Russia, and/or Iran won't be won with a slightly better rifle. All of our ground combat platforms (vehicles) are 40+ years old and only incrementally upgraded over time. Not much better for rotary and fixed wing either excepting the F-22 and F-35. Navy too has lots of problems with obsolescence and vulnerability to 21st century weapons. But, cool, a rifle and GPMG to overmatch goat herders with Mosins and PKMs.

It's going to be a massive wake up call when (not if) it happens. We'll be completely depleted of everything but small arms ammunition within 90 days once the shooting starts with no logistical infrastructure to replace at even a 10% pace.

Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:37 am

Careful, Jukk0u's gonna call you a nigler.

Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With two g's and a hard n.

But nah... HK makes good points. ( But I'd still buy one if I had the cash)

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

FJB

Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Achoo! Achoo!
Sorry! I am an allergic to bullshit!
OK, where do I start… more copper needs to make each projectile and case, larger bullet diameter causes excessive barrel wear and faster overheating, heavier recoil, heavier cartridge = less rounds to carry…
“A small hit is better than a big miss!”

I bet that someone in Pentagon got buttered very well.

Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Somebody at SIG has thick knee pads and has discovered the secret graft deposit voodoo for shoveling the payola into the right pockets, tha's fo' sho'.

FJB

Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:33 pm

Seems like if the goal was to increase range (reasonable) things like improving AR308 platform along the lines of the Ruger SFAR would be a better way to go.

Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:09 am

I want to see a bolt action in the caliber, I think it would make for a very adequate mid game cartridge if the army needs to buy enough of it, it will be produced in sufficient enough quantities to keep the price down for the commoners. The army had to do something to address the issues of terminal ballistics at range with the m-4 platform. The M16 A2 had a 20 inch barrel and was able to accurately hit man sized targets out to 800 meters with their open sights when you cut inches off it the barrel it's easier to carry but you shorten the range. The only way to rectify that is to put more gas behind the payload. the trade off now is more felt recoil. Plus body Armor is a real issue now with cheap chinesium plates available to any third world warlord and are capable of stopping 556 military ball. the new cartridge addresses that. Whether or not small framed people in the Army can handle it remains to be seen.

Task and Purpose is a channel on youtube where a former army infantryman talks military stuff he had a video on it a while back where breaks the reasoning down very well and they show some range footage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3oWZhjCrk8

The guy shooting it is a small guy and you can see in the video what the rifle is doing to him.

Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:44 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ace wrote:
I want to see a bolt action in the caliber, I think it would make for a very adequate mid game cartridge if the army needs to buy enough of it, it will be produced in sufficient enough quantities to keep the price down for the commoners. The army had to do something to address the issues of terminal ballistics at range with the m-4 platform. The M16 A2 had a 20 inch barrel and was able to accurately hit man sized targets out to 800 meters with their open sights when you cut inches off it the barrel it's easier to carry but you shorten the range. The only way to rectify that is to put more gas behind the payload. the trade off now is more felt recoil. Plus body Armor is a real issue now with cheap chinesium plates available to any third world warlord and are capable of stopping 556 military ball. the new cartridge addresses that. Whether or not small framed people in the Army can handle it remains to be seen.

Task and Purpose is a channel on youtube where a former army infantryman talks military stuff he had a video on it a while back where breaks the reasoning down very well and they show some range footage:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3oWZhjCrk8

The guy shooting it is a small guy and you can see in the video what the rifle is doing to him.
Great summary of the key points. Will have to go back and watch the vid when home.

Pretty sure the 556 is going the way of the 30 carbine. Had a purpose originally and did it well but also had massive short commings.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Proverbs 27:12 -- “A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.”
Need Long term Food or Survival Supplies, I have extras, Grab the Supplies_Available.pdf. Prices Quoted are close to my actual cost:
https://backupcomputing.workplace.datto.com/filelink/6af06-883bf7e-31d469c0e1-2
Link corrected 1/30/2021.

The prudent Wagunner trains and prepares to defend themselves and their families, friends, and neighbors. They also are prepared to feed, shelter, and provide aid as well.
Danger is coming and may already be here, how prepared are you? Click the link above for lots of good info to get started.

Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:31 pm
Profile WWW

HERESY!

Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sheesh. How soon they forget, or are to young to know.
Regarding the 20" barrel 5.56 rifle. I suppose it is possible to get hits at 800.
So what. The 55 gr bullet is no longer reliable with respect to inflicting a disabling
wound beyond 230 meters. As for small stature people with heavy weapons,
that issue was settled 250 years ago by the British Army with the Brown Bess.
I remember Filipino militia armed with Garands. "Sir, our job is to kill communists,
not wound them."

"I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." - Robert Heinlein

Resistance to tyranny is always justified.

Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This system will end up getting dropped and they'll just put new sig uppers on the current M4 lowers. Makes for lower costs and keeps all the training and muscle memory the same.
I'd be curious as to what a bi-cased 5.56 would look like with the new pressure loads though.

Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:35 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

NotAMerc wrote:
....I'd be curious as to what a bi-cased 5.56 would look like....

Probably like this...

:bonghit: :bigsmile:

Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:41 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I asked my Ranger son in law (3/75) about it…he said they haven’t seen anything about them.

Sent him the link and his first response was “2 more fucking lbs! No thanks!” :ROFLMAO:

-- Travis A Kisner

Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next